PDA

View Full Version : Khoalty Products Review - E46 M3

UdubBadger
05-17-2013, 11:17 AM
So I wanted to put down my impressions on the products I ordered from Khoalty, as well as Khoalty as a whole - just to give some objective info as well as possibly provide some feedback for the company to reflect upon.

Matte black grille and side grille combo package.
-Standard plastic black grilles which are exactly what I paid for, no complaints there. My only concern is with the small emblems they include. They are noticeably different (at least to me) and look like a cheap 3rd party knockoff which isn't the look I am going for here.
http://pics.campl.us/f/3/30548.0c9c1dda785cc3cb6436d07e96f477d6.jpg

Cree reverse lights
-Great product, had them in my ZHP, exactly what I ordered

LED angel eyes
-Will report back after installing. I am kinda upset no install instructions are given out with them.

LED interior lighting package
-Lights are great but again, no instructions are given with these to tell me which lights go where. Sure I can use my intuition but again, how hard would it be to give me the sizes and locations of where it all is supposed to go?

Painted Reflectors
-Look good, maybe bordering great. Paint match is pretty close though I can tell a little off. It's entirely possible that my 9 yr old car has some fade to it so that would be why there is a very slim difference in color.
http://pics.campl.us/f/3/30548.bae725fefc2e2a120cf9c338b7941899.jpg

Smoked side markers
-I thought I ordered medium smoked and these look pretty dark smoked. I would have liked better description on the website as they list 3 choices of: clear, smoked and eurosmoked (m3 only) yet the photos of them have them listed in like 6 different variations, a little confusing. I might be sending these back for just the regular clears.

Black M3 emblems
-Even though this was the smallest item in my cart, I was the most disappointed by it. They are nothing like the real emblems (or some of the others I've ordered in the past from places like JLeviSW/Modbargains). First and foremost, the sticker they give you, well it looks like crap compared to OEM. The red is more like orange, they look faded (because its just colors printed on matte paper instead of glossy or even glossed over) and the 3 was noticeably smaller than the OEM 3 emblem. I was really looking forward to this, as I do it to all of my cars but this item is going back and I will be looking for others or having iND just paint my silver ones.
http://pics.campl.us/f/3/30548.cab58ac07269f849413ca49de6336e38.jpg

The items all arrived pretty quickly coming from California which I appreciated but the last little bit of criticism I have was that the order didn't come with a receipt, hell it doesn't even come with a packing list to make sure everything I ordered was there (I had to double back to my email to check). I know we are all out to save the rainforest and not waste paper and all of that, but when I drop a few hundred bucks on some items I want a copy of everything I just bought and how much it was for my records. I would rather not have to dig up the email and print that, as it also doesn't translate to the same thing when handing over the batch of receipts to a new owner - anyone can make up an email receipt. Give me the hard copy, I believe I paid for it.

Stigissimo
05-17-2013, 11:24 AM
Great write up - I've been looking/waiting for somebody to do a general review of Khoalty products.

fredo
05-17-2013, 11:27 AM
Very good review. BTW, I needed to google what does "Go HAM" mean. :biggrin

ELCID86
05-17-2013, 11:42 AM
...I was really looking forward to this, as I do it to all of my cars but this item is going back and I will be looking for others or having iND just paint my silver ones.

Good feedback. I recommend plastidip for the badges.

UdubBadger
05-17-2013, 12:01 PM
Yeah but I wanted a nice smooth matte finish. Everything I plasti-dip has texture to it so I will likely get iND to do it or maybe order from Bimmian.

Avetiso
05-17-2013, 12:47 PM
Wow. Are they kidding with that rear emblem? What garbage.

UdubBadger
05-17-2013, 02:56 PM
yep and I was just told Bimmian/JleviSW don't carry them anymore either because of copyrighted issues with BMW. Looks like iND will be painting that for me as well.

Crestwood1001
05-17-2013, 03:27 PM
Get in touch with them about a replacement, I can't speak for those specific pieces but every time I have had an issue with something from them they have taken care of it

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

UdubBadger
05-17-2013, 03:46 PM
Already done my friend. Waiting to hear back.

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

Crestwood1001
05-17-2013, 04:29 PM
I'd be surprised if they don't at least send ya a replacement, they just replaced a burned angle eye ring for me 9 months after I bought it

Stigissimo
05-18-2013, 07:25 AM
Very good review. BTW, I needed to google what does "Go HAM" mean. :biggrin

Whaddya live under a rock or something? :biggrin

Gotta get hip with your lingo!

danewilson77
05-18-2013, 07:26 AM
Lol...

Thanks for honest review Seth.

HTC DNA, Williamsburg, VA

UdubBadger
05-18-2013, 07:47 AM
To their credit they answered my email quickly and said they would take care of the returns and such.

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

Dave_B
05-19-2013, 12:03 PM
Glad to hear Customer Service is taking care of you.

In for more details on the angel eyes. I may be placing an order with Kholty soon myself.

UdubBadger
05-19-2013, 01:27 PM
Will be installing tomorrow so I'll let ya know. :)

UdubBadger
05-20-2013, 10:51 AM
Angel eyes install review coming soon... Lets just say even the high side of their 30-90 min install estimate fell short to my install time today.

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

Stigissimo
05-20-2013, 10:55 AM
Lets just say even the high side of their 30-90 min install estimate fell short to my install time today.

Ouch.

Crestwood1001
05-20-2013, 12:19 PM
Angel eyes install review coming soon... Lets just say even the high side of their 30-90 min install estimate fell short to my install time today.

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile
Did you have to bake your lights?

UdubBadger
05-20-2013, 12:24 PM
No, no baking involved. Their online instructions sucked (used fast m's instead) and made me think I had to removed the entire headlight assembly. I spent at least an hour getting it back into place and it still doesn't look 100% right.

Crestwood1001
05-20-2013, 06:17 PM
Oh yea that's a pain, you can do it with the housings in its just a bit of a pain

UdubBadger
05-20-2013, 08:39 PM
Well... that was basically a day long process.

First and foremost, not a 30 min job. I'm not Mr. Electrician or Mechanic... but I know my way around the car well enough to be competent. This install was not as easy as advertised if you follow their directions.
YOU DO NOT NEED TO REMOVE THE HEADLIGHTS!!! It's not only totally unnecessary but it's just down right time wasting. I pulled one and lost some tools into the bottom of the engine bay which made things longer, and more difficult to do.
Also the clips that hold the angel eyes onto the headlights are damn near useless. They say you can super glue um but that's a foolish move. The other option is to use double sided tape on the backs of the halos to help keep them snug and in place. Well, they didn't include any (at least not in my order) so I had to go through the entire install and then drive over to the hardware store to get some, drive back and open it all up again. The electrical portion was fairly easy, but they don't include how to wire in the lights to the foot well lights in the fuse box so I had to look that up elsewhere.

All in all they look good and I'm glad I was able to get it all done finally but I just with the customer support was there BEFORE you needed it rather than them answering emails after the fact. I would have loved to see something as simple as a card that says "Thanks for the purchase of our angel eyes, please visit www.khoalty.com/blog/angeleyes.html for instructions on how to install them" or something like that. Instead you have to Google everything and that just doesn't feel like they care after they run your credit card.

I think what this has taught me is that most of the products are decent (sans the badge) but when it comes to being totally satisfied with a purchase and helping you get it all onto the car, you might have to pay a little more to get first class service from a place like Modbargains or European Auto Source.

ryankokesh
05-21-2013, 11:05 AM
http://i.imgur.com/ovQUW0M.jpg

UdubBadger
05-21-2013, 11:09 AM
yup

Crestwood1001
05-21-2013, 11:45 AM
Agree completely, I had to bug them for a few days to get a shipping number for my replacement ring, kind of annoying but in the long run I'm getting a new ring amd I'm happy with that, this is the second time I have contacted them for a replacement on something and had them replace it for me. I'd give their service a 6 or 7 out of 10.

ryankokesh
05-21-2013, 12:43 PM
How'd that washer fluid pump work out?

JupiterBMW
05-21-2013, 05:37 PM
Not to sound unsympathetic as we all know you've had a tough run with this car... But we all know Khoalty makes "budget" mods. I've only bought one item from them, and it was very inexpensive, but with that in mind, I didn't expect perfection. As a result, I wasn't disappointed when the product was not perfect.

Anyway, I say just take it for what it is and know that its always a gamble buying from them. Looking forward to pics of the angel eyes though, I'd love to get my hands on some...

UdubBadger
05-21-2013, 08:55 PM
Yeah I get ya, was sorely disappointed with badge but everything else was ok product wise. The lack of support for install was really frustrating though.

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

UdubBadger
05-21-2013, 08:55 PM
How'd that washer fluid pump work out?

Saved it for your honey-do list

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

Stigissimo
05-21-2013, 08:59 PM
Seth - your opinion: I'm weighing Khoalty Piano Black grilles vs OEM Perf Black from ECS. There's a decent price difference, and I know Khoalty supposedly uses refinished OEM grilles. Would you suggest getting a Khoalty product such as the grilles, or should I splurge on OEM?

Avetiso
05-21-2013, 09:04 PM
Seth - your opinion: I'm weighing Khoalty Piano Black grilles vs OEM Perf Black from ECS. There's a decent price difference, and I know Khoalty supposedly uses refinished OEM grilles. Would you suggest getting a Khoalty product such as the grilles, or should I splurge on OEM?
Hornung will tell you to get OEM only. If I had money to spend, I would too. Currently I have Khoa flat blacks, and they fit great. I think Pip has flat black Khoa's, too, and his look great as well. Dane recently bought Piano from Khoa, and I haven't heard any complaints, either.

Stigissimo
05-21-2013, 09:11 PM
Yeah I know Dane has Pianos, and they do look great. I like the gloss. I'll probably try to go OEM - thanks for the input.

Crestwood1001
05-21-2013, 09:25 PM
I also have piano blacks from Kohalty and can say they fit great. If you have the money for oem go that way but if you wanna save some cash and get a great fit go with these

danewilson77
05-22-2013, 02:44 AM
Hornung will tell you to get OEM only. If I had money to spend, I would too. Currently I have Khoa flat blacks, and they fit great. I think Pip has flat black Khoa's, too, and his look great as well. Dane recently bought Piano from Khoa, and I haven't heard any complaints, either.

Yeah. I have the piano black from Khoa. They fit fine, but drivers side keeps popping out. Could be my hood.

JupiterBMW
05-22-2013, 02:53 AM

This is the ONE product I've purchased from Khoalty that I referenced above. They look great, and the fitment is pretty good, but I had the same issue as Dane. I ended up bending the metal tabs on the hood inward a little on mine and it helped. They haven't come out since. Also, you'll need to cut a small relief in the back side where the hood latch goes so that it will be able to function... That all being said, the price was cheap, so I felt none of those issues were a huge deal...

danewilson77
05-22-2013, 03:48 AM
... That all being said, the price was cheap, so I felt none of those issues were a huge deal...

Zactly.

May have to look into hood latch notch, though I'm not sure it's an issue on mine.

I'm sure metal tab bendage will help. Thanks for reminder Joop.

UdubBadger
05-22-2013, 04:35 AM

I was satisfied with the grilles so go for it. It was more the side grill stickers I wasn't too impressed with.

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

UdubBadger
05-22-2013, 04:37 AM
Oh and mine fit snug first time around and latch pops through just fine.

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

jgt_zhp
05-22-2013, 05:03 AM
I just got a set of Khoalty painted grilles for my coupe, and I'm very happy with them. They're OEM grilles, painted to order.

MiniD
05-23-2013, 11:23 AM
I've ordered from Khoalty numerous times and have never had an issue. Sunday, I placed a pretty large order which was suppose to arrive today.

When I go to my tracking information, the last activity was: "5/21 - Departed from FedEx location - Bloomington, CA".

The fact that it hasn't arrived isn't what concerns me, it's that the FedEx shipping information has no 'check ins' or scans past Tuesday afternoon. I'm concerned that it's lost in transit or something.

I've e-mailed Khoalty and have yet to call FedEx. Has anyone experienced this before?

UdubBadger
05-23-2013, 11:29 AM
give it a few days, sometimes if it flys in last minute it wont get updated till its delivered. could just be making its way into memphis now and will go out to you tomorrow.

WOLFN8TR
05-23-2013, 11:30 AM
Has anyone purchased a Pedal set from them? Thinking about the brushed aluminum ones for $50.

Gary