PDA

View Full Version : Ireland Engineering Rear Shock Mounts: anyone got 'em on E46?

aurelius
05-20-2013, 11:08 AM
Some E30s run E46 RSM's and I'm wondering if the same can be done in reverse. Specifically, whether the billet aluminum RSM sold by Ireland Engineering can be used on E46.

IE sells these for E30, E36, and Z3. I called and was told they don't know much about the "newer" cars and at least according to the guy I spoke with, they don't know if anyone has ever installed them on E46.

Anyone here done it? I hope so. Really nice upgrade. Had 'em in my E30 M3 with rubber bushings.

http://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/E30-suspension-steering/e30alummt.html

derbo
05-20-2013, 11:16 AM
That is a good question. I've installed these on the gf's project E30 and these are very nice quality. I also use their IE3 springs. They do look similar but is there a benefit of using these vs say like turner or ground control?

aurelius
05-20-2013, 12:32 PM
I haven't looked at the other versions you mention. JT-Designs sells a nice set I had on an e36 M3 but they are 25% more than IE's and don't include the upper reinforcement plates.

I'll probably buy another pair of the IE version for my older E30 and see if they fit the ZHP.

But don't hold your breath for an update; my E30's RSMs are fairly new, IIRC. I'll check the records and replace if they have over 20k on em.

aurelius
05-21-2013, 11:36 AM
I've installed these on the gf's project E30 and these are very nice quality.

Get IE to send rubber bushings. Easy to install and ride quality is noticeably better.

Also, I think I've answered my own question as to E46 fitment. Rogue sells a very similar RSM which is described as fitting E30, 36, 46, and Z3-Z4.

They also argue against using urethane bushings on the RSM:

http://www.rogueengineering.com/rogue/S_BUSH/RSM.html

Johnmadd
05-21-2013, 12:10 PM
I run e46 rsm's on the e30, I would say yes they are compatible.

aurelius
05-21-2013, 01:39 PM
Original BMW RSMs have become surprisingly pricey but if you're going that route, there is a separate part number for the RSM used on the convertible models and all E46 M3 models. Presumably it's stiffer rubber and would last longer and affect ride quality but I wouldn't be shocked to learn the ZHP has that version from factory due to the stiffer shocks.

If anyone has an OE RSM you've removed from a ZHP coupe or sedan, have a look at the part number and report back.

And to clarify the appeal of the after market RSMs mentioned in prior posts, the bushings are easily replaceable and without any help.

terraphantm
05-23-2013, 11:59 AM
The JTD909 bushings look similar in principle. Rubber bushing instead of poly however.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/image/suspension/suspension_r_stm_lg.jpg
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3666-rear-shock-mounts-rsm-hp-aluminumrubber-e30-e36-e46-z3-z4-pair.aspx

I've been running them w/ my PSS10s (along w/ Z3 reinforcement plates) for the past year (I think about 15k miles). No complaints.

Original BMW RSMs have become surprisingly pricey but if you're going that route, there is a separate part number for the RSM used on the convertible models and all E46 M3 models. Presumably it's stiffer rubber and would last longer and affect ride quality but I wouldn't be shocked to learn the ZHP has that version from factory due to the stiffer shocks.

If anyone has an OE RSM you've removed from a ZHP coupe or sedan, have a look at the part number and report back.

And to clarify the appeal of the after market RSMs mentioned in prior posts, the bushings are easily replaceable and without any help.

ZHP has the same shocks as any other 330. I could have sworn it used to be different, but the part numbers are the same online

NorCalZman
05-24-2013, 09:56 AM
ZHP has the same shocks as any other 330. I could have sworn it used to be different, but the part numbers are the same online

Really. Geez, does the ZHP only have like 1 or 2 specialized suspension parts? seems like a lot for a 3000+ option package, huh?