PDA

View Full Version : DIY: Modding OEM Ipod MOST interface cable to work on mini usb doityourself

S85FTW
05-28-2013, 04:30 PM
As the title states I am trying to get my oem Ipod/Iphone cable to work with my new samsung galaxy S4. Being a mini usb - b I am hoping this would be possible. However there is not much in the form of information in regards to MOST cabling and wiring color codes. After cutting both cables this is what I found.

Mini USB- B:
1 - Black (Ground)
1 - Red (Power)
1 - Green (Data +)
1 - White (Data -)

MOST Bus ipod cable:
2 - Gray (Earth ground?)
1 - Black (Ground)
1 - Red (Power)
1 - Green (Data +)
1 - Yellow (Data - ?)
1 - Orange (Earth ground?)

So I am 90% sure what I have figured out is correct, but does anyone know conclusively if I am right about the earth grounds and data - cable denoted in bold in regards to the MOST bus interface.

Any help/input would be greatly appreciated. I would like to retain the charge/play features in my Idrive.

Avetiso
05-28-2013, 09:35 PM
I'm not sure it would even work if you connected the wires correctly. I think the way data is interpreted by your BMW is specific for Apple products. Charging would probably work.

I think Bluetooth (if you have it) plus a charging cable would be best.

S85FTW
05-29-2013, 07:24 AM
I have bluetooth but it does not allow for audio streaming. It is for phone use only. I would like to retain my bluetooth use for phone while streaming music/charging via usb.

Crestwood1001
05-29-2013, 05:13 PM
+1 on it not working properly. The way the iphone syncs with the car to stream music is not the same as the S4. I dont see that working. Your better off making an aux import to use the headphone jack of the phone...

S85FTW
05-30-2013, 10:48 AM
The car already has an aux port and usb charging. Just wanted the cleanliness of one wire to charge/play versus two. I am using that way for the time being. It looks like my phone is on life support when I plug it in my car.