Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 71 of 78 FirstFirst ... 21616970717273 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    I've made peace with the fact that it will always consume excessive oil. As long as it stays near where it is now I can deal with it. 600 miles per quart was just way too much, but 1200-1500 is bearable.
    i'd be really curious to see how your car would behave with either a) my catch can setup, or b) the G.A.S. CCV.

both setups are an entirely different kettle of fish to the design of the stock CCV, vacuum mod or not.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

A few reasons:
    1) 10W-60 is not an appropriate oil weight for my climate. There have been 2-3 weeks during this season that the temps have dipped below the minimum temperature range for 10W-60. While this isn't the norm, it's always possible, so I need to be prepared.

2) I do not have a second car, so I can't just use another car when it's too cold.

3) There doesn't appear to be any 'damage' to my motor. Compression is excellent and a quick visual inspection of the valvetrain doesn't show anything obviously wrong. Compression numbers are excellent. The phrase "i dont really think a few thousand miles of 10w60 is going to do any ore damage than is already done...." Isn't appropriate here because using that oil very well could cause damage that I didn't have before if the temperatures drop below that threshold again.

*Maybe* I'll switch over the summer but that really depends on when an oil change is needed in relation to the season. I'm due for one now and there'll still be some cold weather ahead so I need to time it right.

I've made peace with the fact that it will always consume excessive oil. As long as it stays near where it is now I can deal with it. 600 miles per quart was just way too much, but 1200-1500 is bearable.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    if you have made peace then you have made peace. but you can always have a leak down test performed so you can see how the valve seats, valve stem seals and still the rings are doing. Compression numbers are ok and the average go to number for typical healthy numbers but when you get into oil consumption where you have no visible leaks, no smoke from burning oil, all PCV related symptoms have been have been addressed.. then its time to look into alternative means to diagnose the motor. A leak down test is going to be the last thing you can do before doing an engine tear down to inspect the valve train and rings.

i think i'm burning oil too in the S54 but i think last time i may have over filled by 1 quart which caused excessive oil consumption for me so now that i have done a fresh complete dump of oil and a complete fill up and taken all of my measurements with the dipstck and oil level sensor reading.. now i know where i am supposed to be with exactly 5.8 quarts added to the engine and i can monitor it for the next couple thousand miles. if i end up a quart low in the next 1000 miles then im doing a leak down test to see whats going on.
    2003 ZHP 332i | S54 6 speed
    2002 ZHP Touring | M54 6 Speed

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    i'd be really curious to see how your car would behave with either a) my catch can setup, or b) the G.A.S. CCV.
    If you want to install the catch can for me, have at it.
    I wasn't really intending on buying the G.A.S. CCV setup...

both setups are an entirely different kettle of fish to the design of the stock CCV, vacuum mod or not.
    By vacuum mod, you mean the extra line going from the CCV to the back of the intake manifold?
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

By vacuum mod, you mean the extra line going from the CCV to the back of the intake manifold?
    Yep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

If you want to install the catch can for me, have at it.
    I wasn't really intending on buying the G.A.S. CCV setup...

:wiseguy

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Bp- are you the only one in our group about to hit 300k?

Like I just mentioned on Charlie’s thread. Testament to maintenance keeping these guys going
    - Stuart

/_________\
    OO=[][]=OO

Quote Originally Posted by 330i ZHP View Post
    Bp- are you the only one in our group about to hit 300k?

Like I just mentioned on Charlie’s thread. Testament to maintenance keeping these guys going
    Ray is really close on his 03 ZSP, but I'm not sure where that car's at now that he has 3 cars to drive. Not sure which of us is ahead at the moment...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Skipped snows on the ZSP. Took it out the other day in the warmer weather. 288,800-ish.

Autozone.com
    Quote Originally Posted by cakM3 View Post
    I'm not racing BP or Ray regarding mileage.... just enjoying the ride
    :-) Will hit 290 on Wednesday morning.

Page 71 of 78 FirstFirst ... 21616970717273 ... LastLast