Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 55 of 78 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast
    Are those all quart top ups?

Sent from my S8+
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Damn that sucks, especially with the mileage you drive. I have around the same rate of burn, but less miles to drive so not nearly as annoying. Even then I'm hoping the GAS CCV solution helps keep some of that oil.

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Are those all quart top ups?

Sent from my S8+
    Yes... it happens so frequently, I don't even get a chance to check my oil before the light comes on. Of course, I check it in disbelief right before putting a quart in, but it confirms a quart low every time.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

So a few days ago, my expansion tank decided to get intimate with a pulley. I don't know if it's been like that for a while or if it just decided to try to mate with the pulley, but a nice hole was carved out in the side of the expansion tank. Luckily it happened right when I pulled into the garage, as that's when I started to see steam coming out (temp was still dead center, so it just happened). So, FCP Euro to the rescue! I called them and told them that I may have installed it incorrectly and they said "No problem, it's covered"! I got the tank the next day, and installed it yesterday.

I dreaded having to take the tank out, which is usually a real PITA. Imagine my delight when I discovered a much easier way of taking it out.

I've always just hammered the shit out of it from below hoping to separate it from the mount. This time I had the bright idea of just taking out the mount with the tank attached, then hammering it that way upside down. I know this is how it's supposed to be done, but it just never occurred to me. lol

The reason this happened: the bottom of the radiator was pulled inward towards the engine for some reason, as though it wasn't properly mounted. This doesn't make sense, because I did my cooling system myself last year and made sure it was mounted properly. I do find it odd that there doesn't seem to be a proper retention mechanism for the bottom of the radiator other than this odd rubber lip that slips over the bottom of the rad. On mine, that rubber lip is "worn" enough where it doesn't really hold the bottom of the rad. When the top screw is in, however, the whole radiator is solid and doesn't move on the bottom, so I'm not sure how this happened. I'll have to keep an eye on it...
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

Great to hear that this happened right as you got home and not in the middle of the highway or something. An expansion tank replacement might be in the books for me since I suspect that mine has a small leak from the top seam - where the top of the tank attaches to the body.

I guess you followed this DIY to take out the entire bracket with the tank?

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...oval-Made-Easy
    anandoc

2004 330i auto | ZPP, ZCW | Schwarz 2 (668) | schwarz (N6SW)

aFe Stage-1 Pro DRY S intake | Morimoto FX-R 3.0 retrofit | ///M3 Seats (power, heat, bolster adj.) | ///M3 Strut Brace | ///M3 SMG Steering Wheel retrofit | OEM Alarm retrofit | GROM USB | Khoalty angel eyes

Quote Originally Posted by anandoc View Post

I guess you followed this DIY to take out the entire bracket with the tank?

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...oval-Made-Easy
    No, I didn't follow any DIY. I just looked at it and saw one screw. Removed it, and out it came.
    I don't think mine ever had that top screw in place since I've bought the car; I didn't even know it was supposed to have a screw on the top.

Thanks for the link though; I'll bookmark it for later.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

stuff like that bothers me because you get so sure of yourself and it makes you feel like you are going crazy. glad everything is ok and no further damage. Great on FCP for warrantying it no questions asked too.
    2003 ZHP 332i | S54 6 speed
    2002 ZHP Touring | M54 6 Speed

Quote Originally Posted by nextelbuddy View Post
    Great on FCP for warrantying it no questions asked too.
    +1

One of the reasons why I am buying pretty much all the parts I need exclusively from fcpeuro...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown | Gruppe M Intake | Corsa TSE3 | Michelin PSS on Apex ARC-8 | Koni Yellows |

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    So, FCP Euro to the rescue! I called them and told them that I may have installed it incorrectly and they said "No problem, it's covered"! I got the tank the next day, and installed it yesterday.
    wow, that is amazing. if i lived in the US i'd be buying everything from them! great to hear that they actually stand behind that, even when it's a failure caused by something else - really, they shouldn't be covering that, but whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    I've always just hammered the shit out of it from below hoping to separate it from the mount. This time I had the bright idea of just taking out the mount with the tank attached, then hammering it that way upside down. I know this is how it's supposed to be done, but it just never occurred to me. lol

The reason this happened: the bottom of the radiator was pulled inward towards the engine for some reason, as though it wasn't properly mounted. This doesn't make sense, because I did my cooling system myself last year and made sure it was mounted properly. I do find it odd that there doesn't seem to be a proper retention mechanism for the bottom of the radiator other than this odd rubber lip that slips over the bottom of the rad. On mine, that rubber lip is "worn" enough where it doesn't really hold the bottom of the rad. When the top screw is in, however, the whole radiator is solid and doesn't move on the bottom, so I'm not sure how this happened. I'll have to keep an eye on it...
    weird - there are rubber mounts that the radiator sits in, about 1/3 up on each side. how do yours look? you could always make a little L-bracket and mount it to the bottom of the carrier support, to keep the bottom of the radiator from moving.

nice work on removing it with the mounting bracket - i couldn't ever get to the top screw when the tank was installed.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Autozone.com
    Wow, good for FCP!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Page 55 of 78 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast