Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 72 of 78 FirstFirst ... 22627071727374 ... LastLast
    Some quick updates:

2018-03-10 -- 293,418 -- Oil change (Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 Synthetic) with filter (Mann 924/4x)

2018-03-27 -- 294,139 -- Swapped to summer tires (brand new Firestone Firehawk Indy 500, 255/35-18 all around)

2018-03-29 -- 294,526 -- Cleaned air filter from GruppeM intake

2018-04-07 -- 295,923 -- Replaced D2S headlight bulbs (Osram Xenarc 66240 CBB)

One thing notably absent in the past 3k miles is... an oil top up. Hmm...
    Me being me, probably forgot to put in an oil top up entry in there, but I also don't remember actually topping it up since the oil change, so who knows.

Adding to the list of needed items:

* Clutch, flywheel, throwout bearing, rear mail seal, pivot pin

These items will be done at failure or at 300k, whichever comes first. I'm really shooting for 300k just to say I made it 300k on the original clutch, but we will see! My throwout bearing was making some noise last week but the noise seems to be gone, so only miles will tell whether it'll make it to 300.

- The clutch isn't slipping and still can hold power just fine (did the 6th gear test and passed with flying colors).
    - The dual mass flywheel is very worn. The car does not feel enjoyable to drive with the way it has worn. Letting the clutch out just has an extra 'edge' now that wasn't there before, and I'm having an incredibly hard time rev-matching, so I think something about the way the RPMs are rising/falling is different. It has an easier time getting to the stall point if I let the clutch out a little too quickly -- this behavior is hard to describe.
    - The throwout bearing was very audible last week while pushing the clutch in to shift into gear. It actually startled me at first because I never heard that sound before in any car, and a couple of people told me what it was. It didn't happen every time I pushed the clutch pedal in, but it was once every few depressions on that one day only. It hasn't made any noise since. This only happened when I pushed the clutch pedal all the way in, so it didn't make noise while moving the pedal. As a note, I have a clutch stop.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Time for another update.

I decided it's not worth waiting 'till 300k to do the clutch and-everything-else-while-you're-in-there job as I was told by a couple of mechanics that I was on borrowed time. My throwout bearing was completely shot and was clearly audible when the clutch pedal was replaced. That, coupled with the fact that my pedal was getting pretty stiff to push, told me something wasn't right.

I got a trusted mechanic that I consider a friend to do the job for me. I had purchased the following components:

• Valeo Single Mass Flywheel conversion kit (Valeo P/N: 835101), which included these components
      • Single mass flywheel
      • Non-self adjusting clutch and pressure plate
      • Throwout bearing (super beefy looking, much sturdier than OE)
      • Pressure plate bolts
      • Flywheel bolts

• Metal clutch fork pivot pin (OE BMW P/N: 21511223281)
      • This is an upgrade to the stock plastic one

• Rear main seal (not sure of P/N as mechanic had this in stock)
    • Input shaft seal (OEM Corteco P/N: 23117531353)
      • I don't remember why I ordered this, but they replaced it anyway

• Clutch release arm (OE BMW, not sure of P/N as it was ordered via Worldpac)

It was good timing that this work was done...

My throwout bearing wasn't even a bearing anymore; it fell apart when it was removed from the transmission. This in turn damaged my clutch release arm, putting nice gouges in the metal. I was told this is why my pedal felt as terrible as it did (binding, hard to push). This was clearly the worst damage in the system.

The original flywheel was on its way out. As I mentioned in the previous post, clutch engagement felt strange and made it difficult to rev match my shifts.

The clutch surprisingly had some life left, though it was getting to the "pretty worn" point. I probably could have squeezed another 20k out of it.

The rear main seal was bone dry, but it was replaced anyway since we were already in there.

For all this work, I was charged $500. He got it done in only a few short hours' time, which included me driving up to a local Worldpac center to pick up a clutch release arm. Him and his crew did a great job, and we had a great time while just hanging out in the shop.

Currently the car sits at 299,4xx miles.

So, the short entry I am adding from the past month:

2018-04-21 -- 296,841 -- Oil top up, 1 quart (Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 Synthetic)

2018-04-28 -- 297,354 -- Replaced clutch, flywheel + bolts, pressure plate + bolts, throwout bearing (kit, Valeo P/N: 835101); clutch fork pivot pin (OE BMW, P/N: 21511223281); clutch release arm (OE BMW); rear main seal (OE BMW); input shaft seal (OEM Corteco P/N: 23117531353)

2018-05-12 -- 298,251 -- Oil top up, 1 quart (Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 Synthetic)
    Last edited by az3579; 05-28-2018 at 07:43 PM.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

Great update. Pics are dead for me.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    Great update. Pics are dead for me.
    Yeah Google Photos is an epic fail. Have to transfer the pics to Flickr and then fix the post with Flickr links.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

Awesome price for a great set of maintanence work.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Quote Originally Posted by johnrando View Post

agreed, that is a smokin' deal.

BP, do you recall how they clearly so excellently R&R'd that trans bellhousing bolt by the headers?
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Pictures in my previous post have been fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by johnrando View Post

Helps to know people!

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    agreed, that is a smokin' deal.

BP, do you recall how they clearly so excellently R&R'd that trans bellhousing bolt by the headers?
    I believe they utilized the tried-and-true Peterman method: super long extension and socket. I remember seeing one of 'dems... I can only imagine it was for that particular purpose.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

That's a great pic of the back of the motor.
    For those of you planning to do your oil pan gasket, you can clearly see the 4 bolts that hold the back of the pan to the block. Those two inner ones are hidden by the bell housing
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Awesome update and a damn good price for the labor.

Hats off for racking up so many miles, pretty impressive. Is this the highest mileage ZHP on the forum?

Autozone.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Sockethead View Post
    That's a great pic of the back of the motor.
    For those of you planning to do your oil pan gasket, you can clearly see the 4 bolts that hold the back of the pan to the block. Those two inner ones are hidden by the bell housing
    It kind of looks like the transmission has to come off to remove those bolts... is that true?

Quote Originally Posted by Sreten View Post
    Awesome update and a damn good price for the labor.

Hats off for racking up so many miles, pretty impressive. Is this the highest mileage ZHP on the forum?
    I found out someone beat me to 300k a week or two ago...
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

Page 72 of 78 FirstFirst ... 22627071727374 ... LastLast