Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wtf noise

Question wtf noise

Ok, it is 0 degrees in Chicago and might be affecting the car. My car is making a noise like someone blowing from a trombone once in a while. It does it under all conditions, completely cold, warm, braking, accelerating, while idle, turning, going straight, and at all speeds. I haven't gone over 35 mph, and reved passed 2.5k because of the cold and short commute but anything over 2.5k i wouldn't hear the noise. A few days before the car started up fine and i got it out of the snow pile and then it wouldn't start. I waited and it started later just fine. Full tank of gas, might need to replace fuel filter, but what would be causing this noise?

I'm assuming it is completely seperate issue from the steering wheel shake over 35mph. i don't want to go over that, it seems like control arm is busted.

Steering wheel shake could be snow and ice on your wheels or FCAB's. The noise is interesting though. Hopefully it's not your CCV.

hmm. that is an interesting suggestion. are there any tests to see if it is? I suppose it could be a goose honk and that would probably indicate ccv. i know i won't be fixing that myself.

Don't rule out steering pump failure either.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

I've had a steering pump get close to failure when it was low on fluid(on my e36), and it would make noise when i would brake. This noise is random under all circumstances and not specifically when turning. I should probably check the level, but besides the pump, is there anything that would be in the injection system due to not enough fuel getting thru? On a side note, how much labor time is involved in replacing ccv??
    Last edited by Kudos; 02-04-2011 at 11:15 AM.

CCV = PITA = I bet shop goes 6-8 hours on that one.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

My local shop gets over $500 for a CCV and most of that's labor.

If you do go that route, be sure to get the cold weather version when you replace it.

might as well just get it done. it's way too damn cold for me to do it, and slightly outside of my range of mechanical aptitude. i'm comfortable doing my valve cover replacement and vanos replacement (i'm gonna pay dr vanos do the rebuild, save the couple hours and pay him 60 bucks more). what a bad bandaid to have but hopefully one and done never have to do it again. i bet its only occuring because its cold as shit here.

Does it sound like this?

If so, don't mess around with it and get it changed ASAP. CCV failure can lead to hydro-locking the engine.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1394054
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

The noises in that video actually made me laugh out loud as I sit here. I hope I never hear that out of my car... I suspect I won't be laughing then.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast