Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Don't be scared of RTAB's

With the proper tool there is no need to be afraid of this DIY. I got the tool used for 65 lousy bux here on ZHPM.

The first one took 90 minutes and only because I took my sweet time aligning/preloading the bushing angle

The second one took 45 minutes and I think I can say with confidence I could do it again in 30.

The tool works. I used a big 20 volt Ingersol Rand impact gun to drive/install the bushings. That was like SNAP!!.. the bushing was out instantly. Installing I made sure to prep the bushing surface and the bushing itself ( a bit of very light steel wool on the bushing + a light shot of WD40 on the trailing arm surface..I was careful to line everything up and had no issues having them go in first shot.

I made a preload tool out of 8mm alu' angle stock. That's pretty easy too...

To install each bushing I went slower so I could get it in evenly. I got it real close with the big gun..then used my Makita 14 volt 3/8 drive variable gun to inch it into position.

The hardest part is lining up the bracket to the body. I used a small kragens mickey mouse jack to push it up close to the body. Then a sizeable hole punch to wrestly the bracket into alignment with the 3 holes. I wasn't worried about getting it close to the original holes. I'll get a full alignment when my suspension refresh in done..

BAM easy peasy. If a DEALER tells you 300, 400 or even 500 labor then you know they're raping you. Honestly this should be one of those 100 per side deals if the world was a fair place

Challenged one could do this job in an hour after a few practice runs

Very nice job.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Thanks Dane'

Much credit goes to my 'housewife helper'..with Ingersol Rand 1200 lb gun the bushings literally flew out.

I got one for my girlfreind in case she gets a flat. These powerhouse guns will take flywheel nuts off...axel nuts anything BIG. NO need for a compressor (as long as you have the room to wrangle the gun of course). If your not careful it will twist your arm into a pretzel

Cost 365 on AMAZON.COM..worth every bit of that

Great work.

Sent from the last Next Best Thing via Tt4beta
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Nice job.
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

thanks jran'

I think the key to the job is the prep. I've read a few time how folks had trouble gettin the bushing to 'start'. A quick smooth job on the bushing and a light lube on the trailing arm did the trick. I actually used a very light grade steel wool on the trailing arm to get any corrosion

Nice. If I had a garage for tools and a place to do it, I might be able to try something like this.

Alas, I will have to be knowingly raped by the mechanic :P
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT. Built 11-19-04. Bought 4-2012.
    Stock: Nav, leather, PDC, Xenon
    Added by me: OEM Alarm, OEM heated seats, OEM aux kit, OEM Bluetooth, intravee, M3 strut brace, BMW Performance Intake, Nappa leather arm rest, updated LCM (triple blink, euro hazards, trifecta lighting, 3 stage brakes), temp gauge

I can't imagine paying anyone to do it...gotta hurt. However if someone said I'll do it for 100 per side I wouldn't argue

You're in Tahoe? Next time I visit my friend in Truckee what say you take an hour or so show me how easy it is

Did you put these in? http://www.vorshlag.com/product_info...1852a4c1f81247
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT. Built 11-19-04. Bought 4-2012.
    Stock: Nav, leather, PDC, Xenon
    Added by me: OEM Alarm, OEM heated seats, OEM aux kit, OEM Bluetooth, intravee, M3 strut brace, BMW Performance Intake, Nappa leather arm rest, updated LCM (triple blink, euro hazards, trifecta lighting, 3 stage brakes), temp gauge

yup got those in there in the process

Maybe sometime during the summer. I'm buried right now getting my own ZHP on the road + prepping my boat for the summer..which I'm way behind the eight ball'. The weather is awesome and I really should be out on the lake by now

I can send/loan you the tool any time. Just cover mailing both ways and it's yours to use. Maybe you can find a freind with a garage to help if you want it done sooner than later

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast