Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    I think I accidentally.....

Handwritten on my Moleskin notepad

I really have no idea what I am doing

Quote Originally Posted by M0nk3y View Post
    I wash every week (thanks to the tire dust on the weekend) wax every other month or so, and I haven't polished in 2 years

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2
    Which wash product are you using?

I really have no idea what I am doing

Quote Originally Posted by bullfrogs_M3 View Post
    This sounds massively (over) aggressive, hopefully you were just joking. Wash every couple weeks with a polish and wax every couple months should be all you need to keep your glass like paint. Too much polishing can actually do more harm than good ( depending on product of course) unless you are just going to use an ultra fine polish compound.

Generally a good wax has a half life of about 1-2 months, less in hotter areas/states. The polish should last around 2-4 months. The first to get "weathered" away is wax of course, then the polish (or sealants if you use one, then polish).

Keep the car washed with a PH balanced soap will keep your wax, sealants and polish in maximum life and work. Use other soap types to strip the wax and polish off the car prior to redoing your polishing/waxing again

Yes... I understand that much work isn't necessary. Overly aggressive might not be the right choice of words, but unnecessary definitely... I was being sarcastic. I used to wash every week and wax every 4. I learned to detail 14 years ago, and have been learning more and trying new products ever since... Honestly, I have the opinion that detailing theories change every few years, much like fashion, diet ideas, etc...

Here's the biggest thing. If the paint looks good and feels soft/smooth/glasslike (or whatever other descriptive words you choose) then it doesn't really matter what you're doing, as long as that finish maintains. Personally, people get all sorts of concerned with PH balanced soaps and all sorts of other chemical wizardry... But do you run tests on the water, or do you just use what comes out of the hose??

The last time I was on our ship, I ran a bunch of chemical tests on a variety of different sources of water. The WORST one (which tested positive for bacteria cultures) was the distilled water I purchased from the grocery store... So, again, its all essentially arbitrary. Unless of course you have a deionizing station at home...

Quote Originally Posted by Washburn View Post
    I will post full details of my products I plan to use later, but the polish, then sealant combo is supposed to give me about 6-8 months protection, and that's how often I hope to do a full detail
    - in between, just quick/basic ONR washes and a good spray quick detailer/wax when dirty should keep up the finish...
    At least that's my plan...will see how well it really works.
    My personal thought?? Washing the car without using water... Why not just pull out the sandpaper... Same idea. Be really careful with the quick detailer. I only use it right after a wash/detail for removal of water spots and then once in a great while for a little spray at the bottom of the panels from the wheels. But after about 24 hours, detail spray is useless, or at least harmful... Again, in MY OPINION... I don't claim to be a pro, just going on my experience.
    2011 E90 Lemans Blue/Bamboo Beige M3- Harrop Supercharged IG: lmb_zcp
    2013 F25 Alpine White/Chestnut X3 35i- Family Hauler
    2006 R53 British Racing Green/Panther Black Mini Cooper S FOR SALE! DM for details!
    Past: 2010 X5M, 2014 328d, 2003 330i ZHP, 2004 330i ZHP, 2012 X3 35i
    WTB!! 2009-2012 E91 328i Touring Contact me with info!

Quote Originally Posted by JupiterBMW View Post
    I learned to detail 14 years ago, and have been learning more and trying new products ever since...

And now you are teaching me and for that I thank you.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2
    2005 IR ZHP Alcantara 6MT l Bimmian phone mount l Khoalty Angel Eye's l Khoalty Fog's l AFE Stage 1 Intake l AFE Dynamic Air Scoop's l CDV Delete
    Besian Sealed VANOS l Flat black Kidney Grills l Magnaflow Cat-Back

My personal thought?? Washing the car without using water... Why not just pull out the sandpaper... Same idea. Be really careful with the quick detailer. I only use it right after a wash/detail for removal of water spots and then once in a great while for a little spray at the bottom of the panels from the wheels. But after about 24 hours, detail spray is useless, or at least harmful... Again, in MY OPINION... I don't claim to be a pro, just going on my experience.

ONR uses water,
    quite a bit of it, actually, - just no big RINSING like a normal wash...I use the 2 bucket method with a soft lambskin/wool wash mitt ( a microfiber mitt for the lower panels) with grit guards in the buckets...
    I have already done quite a few times, and inspected the paint - it didn't scratch anything, just made the paint clean, and smooth, and added some gloss even. I'd never use ONR if the car is VERY dirty, but for a mildly dirty car it works very well.

Why do you think Optimum No Rinse is = Sand paper?
    Last edited by Washburn; 06-18-2013 at 05:07 PM.
    2005 AW ZHP Coupe. CW, Alcantara, Leather st. wheel, HK, Xenons, Step, Dinan chip & air box, USASpec, Sprint Booster

ONR uses water,
    quite a bit of it, actually, - just no big RINSING like a normal wash...I use the 2 bucket method with a soft lambskin/wool wash mitt ( a microfiber mitt for the lower panels) with grit guards in the buckets...
    I have already done quite a few times, and inspected the paint - it didn't scratch anything, just made the paint clean, and smooth, and added some gloss even. I'd never use ONR if the car is VERY dirty, but for a mildly dirty car it works very well.
    **Edit- Oh, and in terms of washing without water, I was referring to repeated detail spray/spray waxes...

Yeah, I'm familiar with the ONR, but honestly, it sounds silly... If you have a LOT of water to use, you'd have a hose right, so why use a product that (to me, again, opinion) takes MORE effort... The rinsing part of a car is the easiest part of all... Soo, why skip it? I dunno.. I don't use it, but I know plenty others love it. Its all good... Again, there are like 37 million products, and they're only as good as the people that use them. We could go around and around all day on all the forums about which products work well. The fact is, they're only going to work well if they're used correctly.

Anyway, good luck to everyone starting on the detailing. Its rewarding to see hard work pay off with a nicely finished paint job.
    2006 R53 British Racing Green/Panther Black Mini Cooper S FOR SALE! DM for details!

Quote Originally Posted by bullfrogs_M3 View Post
    Which wash product are you using?

Chemical Guys Maxi Suds II

I have 2 gallons sitting in my garage

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Project STX: TCKline Racing l APEX l Vorshlag l Eibach l Hawk l Schroth l BMW Performance

Yeah, I'm familiar with the ONR, but honestly, it sounds silly... If you have a LOT of water to use, you'd have a hose right, so why use a product that (to me, again, opinion) takes MORE effort... The rinsing part of a car is the easiest part of all... Soo, why skip it?
    Because our house is rented and they don't allow 'normal' hose / rinse type of washing outside/in the driveway! So the best I can do is ONR type wash! in the garage!
    2005 AW ZHP Coupe. CW, Alcantara, Leather st. wheel, HK, Xenons, Step, Dinan chip & air box, USASpec, Sprint Booster

Because our house is rented and they don't allow 'normal' hose / rinse type of washing outside/in the driveway! So the best I can do is ONR type wash! in the garage!
    Get yourself a bright pink speedo, wear a snorkel, and hook the hose up to a sprinkler set up in the driveway. Proceed to "abnormally" wash your car that way.

ok.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234