Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    That's what the dodoers do! Haven't tried it yet myself...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by M0nk3y View Post
    You need to clay regardless.
    Not claying you're defeating the purpose of polishing. Because when you polish you're picking up all of those small particles, and then proceeding to grind them into the paint during polishing.
    I agree - not all the benefits of claying can necessarily be seen, and embedded dirt can still be there even if the 'paint looks good'.
    If a car is going to be compounded/polished, corrected, sealed and/or waxed, doing all that without prior claying seems a waste and incomplete, in my opinion, as those products used afterwards will be so much more effective with claying.
    One will never know the difference it could have made.

I am kinda lazy and impatient about detailing stuff, but I am going to force myself to use use a nanoscrub sponge (excited to see how it compares to traditional clay) before polishing/sealing mine.
    2005 AW ZHP Coupe. CW, Alcantara, Leather st. wheel, HK, Xenons, Step, Dinan chip & air box, USASpec, Sprint Booster

I do normally agree, but in the effort of time, we chose not to. I don't think any harm was caused, and plenty of benefit was still gained. In a perfect world, I would wash, clay, and polish/wax every couple of weeks, but I have a house, kids, social life, and work all getting in the way.
    2011 E90 Lemans Blue/Bamboo Beige M3- Harrop Supercharged IG: lmb_zcp
    2013 F25 Alpine White/Chestnut X3 35i- Family Hauler
    2006 R53 British Racing Green/Panther Black Mini Cooper S FOR SALE! DM for details!
    Past: 2010 X5M, 2014 328d, 2003 330i ZHP, 2004 330i ZHP, 2012 X3 35i
    WTB!! 2009-2012 E91 328i Touring Contact me with info!

Understand fully about not having enough time, etc: I have all the products I need since about 2 months ago, and work schedule is crazy - working extra weekends and evenings at the hospital has not given me the chance yet to start....
    2005 AW ZHP Coupe. CW, Alcantara, Leather st. wheel, HK, Xenons, Step, Dinan chip & air box, USASpec, Sprint Booster

Quote Originally Posted by Washburn View Post
    Understand fully about not having enough time, etc: I have all the products I need since about 2 months ago, and work schedule is crazy - working extra weekends and evenings at the hospital has not given me the chance yet to start....
    Exactly. Many years ago I used to have an entire day every weekend for detailing... The beauty of things now is that while I have a great garage, I don't have the time to utilize it nearly as much... Of course, having a nice garage means the car stays cleaner, longer. Its all tradeoff I suppose.
    2011 E90 Lemans Blue/Bamboo Beige M3- Harrop Supercharged IG: lmb_zcp
    2013 F25 Alpine White/Chestnut X3 35i- Family Hauler
    2006 R53 British Racing Green/Panther Black Mini Cooper S FOR SALE! DM for details!
    Past: 2010 X5M, 2014 328d, 2003 330i ZHP, 2004 330i ZHP, 2012 X3 35i
    WTB!! 2009-2012 E91 328i Touring Contact me with info!

Exactly...Just when we moved to a place with a garage, the schedule went crazy...people leaving, or leaving on maternity leave, vacation etc...and people who work every 3rd wk end having to work every 2nd, etc...
    But this craziness is supposed to end in about 2 months...I am looking forward to having a normal schedule again....
    Sorry for getting OT a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by JupiterBMW View Post
    ......... I would wash, clay, and polish/wax every couple of weeks, .........
    This sounds massively (over) aggressive, hopefully you were just joking. Wash every couple weeks with a polish and wax every couple months should be all you need to keep your glass like paint. Too much polishing can actually do more harm than good ( depending on product of course) unless you are just going to use an ultra fine polish compound.

Generally a good wax has a half life of about 1-2 months, less in hotter areas/states. The polish should last around 2-4 months. The first to get "weathered" away is wax of course, then the polish (or sealants if you use one, then polish).

Keep the car washed with a PH balanced soap will keep your wax, sealants and polish in maximum life and work. Use other soap types to strip the wax and polish off the car prior to redoing your polishing/waxing again

Handwritten on my Moleskin notepad

I really have no idea what I am doing

I will post full details of my products I plan to use later, but the polish, then sealant combo is supposed to give me about 6-8 months protection, and that's how often I hope to do a full detail
    - in between, just quick/basic ONR washes and a good spray quick detailer/wax when dirty should keep up the finish...
    At least that's my plan...will see how well it really works.

Quote Originally Posted by bullfrogs_M3 View Post
    Wash every couple weeks with a polish and wax every couple months should be all you need to keep your glass like paint....
    Handwritten on my Moleskin notepad

Oh Jeremiah.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

I wash every week (thanks to the tire dust on the weekend) wax every other month or so, and I haven't polished in 2 years

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Project STX: TCKline Racing l APEX l Vorshlag l Eibach l Hawk l Schroth l BMW Performance

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast