Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Dynavin no. Pioneer in the ashtray yes.

Well after a bit of fiddling I made it work. I had gone through countless options in deciding how to upgrade the stock Sat Nav system. I originally wanted to just replace it with a newer double din Pioneer unit. Fortunately I took heed of many opinions on here of keeping the interior of the ZHP looking as stock as possible. I saw that someone on E46 Fanatics had successfully extended the faceplate of a Pioneer DEH-80 so I knew it could be done. My needs were quite simple. I wanted bluetooth streaming and HD radio. I got the bluetooth streaming but found out later that the DEH-80 is just about the only unit in Pioneer's new lineup that doesn't have HD Radio. They have taken the IP bus away on the new units as well, so no way to add another module.

The good news is that I can plug the Sat Nav into the Aux on the DEH-80. So I can still have audio from the stock unit. The sound from the Pioneer is very very good. I am able to dial in the sound with modern DSP, and I finally have control over the EQ. I am pretty sure the stock head unit adjusts the EQ while you are driving and lowers the bass and increases the mids to adapt to road noise. That was driving me crazy as the stock unit sounded fine when the car was off but when I started driving the sound would change. However that could just be the ZHP exhaust cancelling bass frequencies. Anyways I now have my LOUDNESS button and I have the punchy bass I was missing. If my car didn't come with the Sat Nav option I might have considered the Dynavin. But this option proved a better solution for me as I use Tomtom on my iPhone anyways. So the faceplate is in the ashtray and the stereo is in the trunk. I even managed to keep the cigarette lighter for charging. Everything is working well, but the stereo still has to be mounted into the storage compartment. Not the best pic as it has a fisheye effect and it looks crooked. But I will try to get some better photos in daylight.

Whoa, cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, Impressive. If we teamed you, Tony (Tnhl1989), and Jupiter up, no telling what you could create! I interested to know about the trunk mounted portion and the wiring between the three locations. I assume the lid doesn't close on the ashtray.

No the lid doesn't close. The stereo will be mounted in the cd storage tray (or whatever that is) behind the flap in the trunk. Out of site and out of mind hopefully. I am sure I could modify the ashtray to lower the face a bit. Than the lid would close.

Nice install.

cool idea but I'm like Randeaux... if it doesn't look OEM it'll drive me nuts.
    Call me Seth
    CURRENT: 2016 Long Beach Blue BMW /// M2
    RETIRED: ‘15 F22 M235i | '08 E90 M3 DCT "GoinHAM3" | '04 E46 M3 6MT "WEGOHAM"
    '04 330i ZHP | '11 E82 135i | '08 E90 328xi | 07 E91 328xi SportWagon

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    If I wore panties, I'd be dropping them right now.

Yes that was a big factor. That was the whole point of keeping the stock Sat Nav in place. It was about the only compromise I could make and have audiophile type quality in the car.

Love this idea. Awesome! Keep us updated please, and certainly let me know if you can get it to close.
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture