Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ELCID86 View Post
    I just happened to pop in—That’s the way [mention]BCS_ZHP [/mention] bruce does it. Who was I to question!
    Hmmm - maybe I need to reach out to Bruce & have him "supervise" my installation. He was ~15 minutes from my Dad's place in Fairfax Station.
    2006 330ci ZHP - Silbergrau Metallic / Stoff Laser/Anthrazit / Alu Black Cube trim / Adaptive Xenon headlights / HK hi-fi system / heated front seats

Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    Oh man I love that. Very helpful Shawn thanks
    +1 thanks Shawn! This will be one of my first tasks once my car comes back out next Spring
    2004 BMW 330CI ZHP (well, technically ZAM)

Quote Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
    Hmmm - maybe I need to reach out to Bruce & have him "supervise" my installation. He was ~15 minutes from my Dad's place in Fairfax Station.
    He’s a wiz at this.

Alright boys I went ahead and knocked this out while I had the battery out of the car. It's way more involved than I expected but I'm happy with the result.

I started taking step by step pictures then just went full chaos so I'll just dump everything here in some kind of order.

Step before you do any of this shit disconnect the battery terminals. Both to be safe. You're working with positive cables here so that shock will be oof if you're well grounded.

Step 1 disconnect hood switch

Step 2 remove trim

Step 3 pull straight up on the cover in the drug bin while wiggling it free from the plastic rivet

Step 4 disconnect the two positive connections (19 & 13mm)

Step 5 push the plastic rivet out from the backside and slide the terminal piece up to remove

Here's where it gets creative

Step 6 cut shit off the terminal piece (the BMWP bar instructions are a good guide)

Yes, I used a soldering gun to cut the plastic. No, I wouldn't recommend it. Use end cutters where you can or a hacksaw if necessary.

Step 7 cut a lot of shit off the hood switch piece, saving the slide-on terminal cover for later

This got me to where I could mount the hood switch using the existing hole

Original location:

New location:

I marked the hole location, drilled the plastic, and put a nutsert in because I had a new nutsert tool I wanted to try

Oh and trimmed a bit more off the side so that it wouldn't rub the positive cable next to it (see pics above - I'll get there below)

I followed the BMWP instructions on this piece, but didn't like how the positive cable going to the engine was routed, so I decided to make it a side mount

Trimmed the side slide catch down with a razor so the terminal could mount flush

Added some plastic cable wrap and cloth tape over top because why not. The routing of the cable was fine, but I spent several years working with electrical and fuel line routing on vibrating machines and do not play games with this stuff.

Snipped a lot more off of the slide-on cover to not interfere with the side mount

Now it doesn't stay on that well alone, but the rubber trim keeps it from getting knocked off

Fin

Oh and here's how much the hood sensor moved. Mine had worn a hole through the paint so it was easy to see the original contact location when I tested the new spot with a bit of tape.
    Last edited by ZHPizza; 10-09-2020 at 06:55 AM.

Ok the last little task was making sure the positive cable in the drug bin wasn't rubbing on anything. I had to pop out the little tie down to make it reach the now top-mount terminal.

I was able to slide that tie mount back about an inch and pop it back into the body. Easy peasy.

But in reaching the new terminal, I had created a rub point on one of the brackets in the drug bin.

Just needed a little standoff that would keep the cable from vibrating on that point, so I grabbed a piece of plastic bracket that I had cut off earlier, put a few new holes in it, and boom standoff.

Now it's safe

Also learned that the hood switch is only used for the alarm system, which I don't have, so I removed it altogether. Could have saved a lot of time if I knew that from the start.
    Last edited by ZHPizza; 10-09-2020 at 09:33 AM.

Very nice work and great DIY detail.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Thanks for the DIY. I don't think there isn't enough red in it.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast