Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Thread: Dealer Coding

Dealer Coding

I'm having to purchase a new instrument cluster. Many of you may remember me from my "Cluster on The Fritz: post. After ruling out all other potential issues, I've come to find that my cluster itself has gone bad. I'd like to purchase one preferably used ( for cost) but will BMW or other shops code a used cluster to my car. I've heard from other people that dealerships wont code used clusters for some reason. Any truth to this or past experiences with this?

It's not a matter of policy. The cluster hardware itself prevents certain sections of the memory (those that contain the vin and mileage) from being overwritten. The only way to use a used one is to use an external programmer to virginize the EEPROM. (Desolder, clear vin/mileage, resolder)

That's true from what I gather when I was researching a way to fix your cluster. I have a cluster from a 2002 330xi automatic if you are interested.

Tony's ZHP "Wulf" '03 Silver Gray | Valentine 1 Radar Detector| Alcantara | BMW Performance Intake | F10 M5 Knob | Auto-dim Retrofit | BMW Alarm | Performance Grilles | OEM Roof Rack | Rain Light Sensor Retrofit | Eonon D5150 Head Unit | BMW OEM Clear Lens

I had found a used ZHP cluster ( which is what I'm looking for) on eBay for 275, I just wanted to make sure before I bought it and find out that it can't be coded.

Have you thought about repairing your cluster? I'm not sure if that is even a viable option, but reprogramming it seems like a pain.
    Fuelly

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianZHP View Post
    Have you thought about repairing your cluster? I'm not sure if that is even a viable option, but reprogramming it seems like a pain.
    Im not even sure of whats specifically wrong with it to repair. Search for my thread " Cluster on the Fritz" and that'll give you a better idea of what was going on.

Maybe look around for services similar to the one here?

http://www.clusterrepairsuk.co.uk/re...repair-service

Wouldn't hurt to ask if they can fix your symptoms or have heard about them. If they are nice, maybe they'll even tell you exactly what is wrong and how to DIY.
    Fuelly

Meric Guest
    I can code it for you to eliminate tamper dot. For milage... Eghh that thing is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Meric View Post
    I can code it for you to eliminate tamper dot. For milage... Eghh that thing is hard.
    How could we make that happen?

Tamper dot is easy. Just use a sharpie to cover it up.

(I've heard of people actually doing this to cover up errors on the dash... Fooled a guy until he decided to mod his cluster)
    Fuelly