Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

dies at idle at random times???

Have a strange problem, dunno if a common issue or not.

Net is that I can be cruising at 3000 rpm or whatever, take the foot off the gas and if out of gear, the rpm drops really fast all the way to 300rpm or so, then it either dies or gets a bump and goes up to 1000rpm or so briefly then back to normal idle. When its in this mode I can do it at a standstill, just revving it up to 3K or so and then taking foot off the gas. ITs the weirdest thing to pull up to a stopsign or be in a parkinglot and just have it die. All other operation is great!!

haven't tried pulling codes or checking if there are any. It used to do this maybe twice a year a single time, today it did it maybe 5 times and then stopped doing it. I recently fixed an induction boot (Usual Y boot tear) and had thought that might fix it but was obviously wrong.

thoughts??
    Thanks-
    Tim

Mine did the exact same thing when somehow I jarred the lower intake boot from the TB. It through all kinds of codes, misfires, lean conditions I believe. I could not get it to run right. Finally checked the boots and that was the problem. Had it fixed in 5 minutes.

I would double check all the intake hoses after the MAF sensor.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

'01 330i

Also check the throttle body itself, if you are using a cold air intake there is a chance that the MAF and throttle body are full of gunk that will help the intake plenum to stick closed long enough to stall the motor out at idle.

If youre using a oiled filter at all I would spray some MAF cleaner on there to take some of the oil off the sensor.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

'01 330i

I'm currently experiencing the same issue. I've decided to replace the y boot (because it looks like I will have to destroy it to get it out), clean the MAF, clean the ICV and throttle body, and replace the Disa o-ring. I wasn't able to find any obvious leaks and this seems like a reasonable and cheap approach.

If the boots are good, ICV is clean, and DISA is ok - it's likely the MAF itself. If the MAF is acting up it should throw rich codes, but someone else here is probably far more knowledgeable.

'04 ZHP - Orient Blue, 6spd, Alcantara

Does it run better or worse with the MAF sensor unplugged?

HTC DNA ON TT4 BETA, WILLIAMSBURG, VA
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Its now running fine. The challenge is that it comes and goes.....intermittent problems are always a pain....
    When I replaced the Y intake boot (which had the typical large tear in it!!), I did clean the MAF, and also replaced the other intake boot and all seals etc. That was all done maybe three months ago. And it has happened on and off before and after the work.....so it makes me think that something else is contributing......maybe not.
    Thanks for the ideas, keep them coming please. Worst case I'll pull the parts apart again, I suppose its possible that I have a small leak somewhere but it cant be anything like the previous tear in the Y boot. Maybe I'll look for induction leaks with a can of starter fluid/spray.....
    Tim

I have the same thing going on (brettbimmer rode and observed), we both thought possible fuel filter issue. Could be fuel starvation. Fuel filter been changed on yours before?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnmadd View Post
    I have the same thing going on (brettbimmer rode and observed), we both thought possible fuel filter issue. Could be fuel starvation. Fuel filter been changed on yours before?
    Mine is fixed. Boot after airbox was ripped which is a huge vacuum leak. Redwagon, have you got your car fixed?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast