Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

View Poll Results: What is your current combined MPG?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • <16mpg

2 5.41%
  • 16-18mpg

2 5.41%
  • 18-20mpg

6 16.22%
  • 20-22mpg

6 16.22%
  • 22-24mpg

7 18.92%
  • 24-26mpg

10 27.03%
  • 26-28mpg

4 10.81%
  • >28mpg

0 0%
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Input on Improving MPG- Gas May Reach $5 a Gallon By Year End + Current MPG Poll

Well, I read from several sources this week that gas could hit $5 a gallon by the years end. I thought it'd be helpful to start a brainstorming thread on how to achieve decent mileage from our cars.

I've never had great fuel mileage in my car- I average between 19-21mpg combined (about 28-29mpg on the highway). Sometimes my mind wanders to the Golf MK6 TDI 6 Speed I test drove that would achieve ~40mpg combined.

So if you have any tips outside of changing filters, injector cleaner etc., chime in! Also please vote on your current MPG.
    - Derek

Biggest factor in getting the maximum mpg I find is owning a manual transmission.

Three pedal ZHP

It's a lot to do with driving conditions - highway/city. On the highway, I find it easy to modulate the throttle to allow me to achieve about 30mpg. "City" driving the best I can get is about 20mpg. However, I almost never drive on the highway and rarely for drives over 5 miles in the "city". Therefore, I am averaging an awesome 16mpg. I drive 3 miles to school, 2 miles from there to work, and 1 mile from work to my house. That's my daily commute - car doesn't usually go anywhere on the weekends. The "best" way to improve your fuel milage is simply to avoid traffic as much as possible. Last year I parked in a different parking lot at my school and I was averaging about 18mpg. Now I go to the main parking lot and it has fallen to 16mpg - needless to say there is considerably more traffic going in the main entrance. At one point I was down to 14.5mpg

My Project Thread
    Register Your ZHP | CoolantSnitch

2005 ZHP 6MT Mods: AFE Intake, Carbon Fiber Hood w/ M3 Bulge, Meyle HD FCAB's, Zionsville T-Stat @ 88°C, Stewart WP, BMW Perf. Rotors F+R, Oil Temp & Press. Gauges, Alcantara Wheel w/ CF Trim, Alum. Pedals + E-Brake, Black Kidney's, Aux Input, Beltronics RX-75 Pro Radar Detector, Beisan Seals + Rattle Kit, Armrest Delete, Schroth Harness, StopTech Pads, SSR Comp-H's

I see a big difference in my average mileage (I monitor tank average) when I use ethanol-free premium. Ethanol is not only bad for our fuel systems, but it also contains less energy. Gallon for gallon, ethanol contains about 34% less energy than pure gasoline.

Time to buy a honda fit.

I'm not even joking. I'd commute in one in a second.
    - Marc

Quote Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
    Well, I read from several sources this week that gas could hit $5 a gallon by the years end.
    I'd be happy if it only goes to $5. I've seen a few analysts predict upwards of $7...
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Quote Originally Posted by mimalmo View Post
    I see a big difference in my average mileage (I monitor tank average) when I use ethanol-free premium. Ethanol is not only bad for our fuel systems, but it also contains less energy. Gallon for gallon, ethanol contains about 34% less energy than pure gasoline.
    That is not entirely true, In the way your and my engine burn ethanol mixed gas that is correct, however ethanol allows much higher compression ratios than regular fuel and as a result a proper engine may extract a lot more out of ethanol mixed fuel. Don't get me wrong I oppose ethanol mixed fuels as much as the next guy.
    2004 ZHP * IMOLAROT II * OEM Clears * ///M Strut * CoolantSnitch

I might be the "bad guy" in this thread but I want to see expensive gas, it is the only way to teach people responsible spending of this precious resource. Money talks... Al Gore does too, but nobody listens to him.
    2004 ZHP * IMOLAROT II * OEM Clears * ///M Strut * CoolantSnitch

Quote Originally Posted by zhpnsnv View Post
    Time to buy a honda fit.

I'm not even joking. I'd commute in one in a second.
    I like the first gen fit, but I'm not so fond of the new one... it's a little bulbous.

The new TDI has the GTI seats (but not the plaid upholstery), suspension, etc. It has xenon's, nicer trim than the other golf, and it's made in germany. I was very, very impressed when I decided to drive one on a whim. I like it because I think it's the most fun and certainly the least dorky "eco" car.

Quote Originally Posted by kayger12 View Post
    I'd be happy if it only goes to $5. I've seen a few analysts predict upwards of $7...
    Ahhh Golf TDI here I come!

Here are my fuel costs annually at $7 a gallon in my ZHP vs the TDI.

- Derek

At slower speeds higher gear doesn't always get the lowest mileage, its more of a rpm range thing, not to low not to high.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast