Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

To Bimmerfest and BEYOND... my story

This is a long story of my zhp's trip to bimmerfest east 2013.

I was driving from Williamsburg VA to codys house in Pa and got stuck in dc traffic and the battery warning light came on and was red. I kept going hoping it was the battery and I could make it there. I got to his exit and the dsc/abs/brake lights come on, I'm about five minutes away and the speedo and rpm gauges stick at 60 mph as I come to a stop, I'm getting worried but keep going. Then the eml light comes on and I lose probably 95 percent throttle. I get within eyes sight of his house and that was where it stopped. I call cody and he and brett come pick me up and we go to buy a towstrap so we can use his wifes jeep to get it to his house.

Test shows battery good but low, all signs point to alternator. We then went to advance auto for a new alternator. Get it back and its got the wrong plug. Codys wife katie then races me back to see about another one, it was wrong also. At this point I knew I would be riding with someone to bimmerfest.

The next day, brett and I leave early from bimmerfest to go get alternator from bmw of bel air. The guy working there gave me one and said its what they always use on e46 cars. We get back to the house and wrong again. I had to use my old voltage regulator with the new alternator to fit my car harness. Everything seemed good. Next morning we go to breakfast and the go karting, everything seems good.

We were done karting and said goodbye and split up to go home, 10 minutes down the road my battery light comes on. I go to advance auto for them to check my charging system and battery. They check my battery and it shows good with low charge, they cannot cbeck the alternator without a fully charged battery. I buy a new battery and the alternator tests bad. I check into a hotel for the night and plan on going to bmw of york the next day.

The next day I go to bmw and they diagnose the problem as bad voltage regulator. they order me a new one according to my vin and say it will here the next day around lunch time. I check in to another hotel for the night. I go back the next day after buying tools to do the work and the parts truck is stuck in traffic. I finally get the new regulator at 3:30 and it is wrong. At this point I tell them my story and I just need to get home. They pull an alternator of the shelf that had the right regulator and take that one off and trade me for the wrong one they gave me. I then go find a parking lot to do the work.

I got home with no issues. I will post a picture of both regulators. The old regulator had plenty of bite left on it so I'm thinking it was an internal failure. If anyone ever needs advice or info on alternators just ask.

Yikes, I was wondering what happened after the show. Glad you eventually got it taken care of, it's one hell of a story!

Damn John. Not a story for the weak.

Glad it's sorted now.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Curious. How many miles were on the part before it went out? Might be good PM.

Wow. How frustrating. Glad you got it sorted out (eventually). All is in order now?

Shawn in VA.
    Via thumbs and Tapatalk.

Quote Originally Posted by saace7 View Post
    Curious. How many miles were on the part before it went out? Might be good PM.
    123, 500 miles... alt is good vr is bad,
    Quote Originally Posted by ELCID86 View Post
    Wow. How frustrating. Glad you got it sorted out (eventually). All is in order now?

Shawn in VA.
    Via thumbs and Tapatalk.
    All is good now

Quote Originally Posted by TomTomTuning View Post
    Yikes, I was wondering what happened after the show. Glad you eventually got it taken care of, it's one hell of a story!
    Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Damn John. Not a story for the weak.

Glad it's sorted now.

Thanks guys.

Here is a side by side of the wrong new one on the left and the bad original. Looks good to me, what do you guys think.

The plug jack looks different.

Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    The plug jack looks different.

That was much of the confusion for the dealer. The brushes look plenty good on the old is what I was pointing out also.

So did you go back to my dealer on the way home or did you make it that far?

Sorry the car picked the worst time to poop out on you, John glad its all fixed though. I vaguely remember saying it could be the VR...but that part isn't available for resale, right?

From a GS3, this was sent.
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast