Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 101 of 126 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 1251
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornung418 View Post
    Lol, Marc, I thought you would have driven at least one SMG BMW! When I test the one I'm looking at I will report back.

Sent from my GS3.
    They did put it on the CSL, so how bad could it be?
    - Marc

Quote Originally Posted by mbeckel View Post
    You got it figured out. I like your thinking with your zhp
    +1

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Current:
    1988 BMW 325is
    1996 Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80 x3 Locked - Restoration/Project Thread on ih8mud.com
    Sold:
    "Scarlett" the 2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT - Project/Maintenance Thread
    2011 BMW M3 E92 6MT - Info/Maintenance Thread

This was in response to Marc, who asked what it felt like.

I haven't driven an SMG car, but I have been a passenger. I can offer the following observations:

When just cruising around town with the shift ferocity set low, it's not bad from a feel perspective. I do not, however, like how it slips the clutch at pretty much every shift. This would concern me from a clutch wear perspective; I would imagine you wouldn't get too many miles out of a clutch. I don't know how it would compare to a manual, but since I rev-match every single shift to the best of my ability, I can probably still drag my clutch use out longer than the 200k it currently has on its original clutch. I'd research this if you're concerned about clutch wear and see what the facts are for the SMG tranny.

When the car is being nailed, it feels as though someone is take a hammer the size of a Ford Excursion to the back of the car every time it shifts (if the shift mode is at the strongest). It is extremely uncomfortable. This feeling is achieved if the foot is kept planted on the floor when shifting. I'm not sure if the problem is alleviated in this shift mode if you let off the gas when you shift, but I do know that letting off the gas as you would in a manual to shift when you're just putting around town greatly improves the shift feel. It still feels clunky if you don't lift your foot, so just drive it as you would a manual around town and you'll be fine. All out though, all bets are off... it may shift fast but I can't imagine all that hard shifting is going to be very good on diff bushings and other driveline components...

Personally, I feel the ferocious shifting nature of the the SMG tranny suits Justin because he likes to have fun. It's a raw experience and can be fun when you don't have to worry about heel-and-toe downshifting when coming in hot from a straight on the track...
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by mbeckel View Post
    Dang man! If you want a SMG, I won't stop you, I just prefer 6MT over everything else. I strongly feel I get the best driving "experience" with driving MT. But if you want the SMG, that's great, I just hope you don't regret not waiting for a 6MT car if that's what you really want.
    I don't mind if that's your preference. It's mine, too. I just don't bash SMG like everyone else seems to do because it doesn't deserve it. That's all.
    In the market for an E90 M3

Quote Originally Posted by zhpnsnv View Post
    Being a true man who drives manual, I would never consider SMG. Firstly, I don't need a computer to do things for me. I regularly check e-mail with my own brain by tapping into the matrix like Neo himself. Secondly, I want to have total, pure control of the car, though park assist would be epic. Thirdly, complicated parts mean complicated fixes; I'd rather worry myself with simple fixes like welding the subframe, reconfiguring the cooling system, and adjusting valves with my eyes closed every 7 miles. Fourthly, all of my friends who use the internet say SMG is terrible, and I believe everything my friends say they read on the internet.

In sum, no SMG for me.

Joking aside -- I've never driven it. How's the experience?
    It was awkward at first. You can't tell when clutch is going to engage on a downshift so I found my head bobbing back and forth a bit, but I've read up a bit and people seem to say that can be avoided by being off the gas when you downshift. Other than that, it was nice. Full WOT shifts were just beautiful. Knock you right back in your seat.
    In the market for an E90 M3

http://www.billsilk.com/Cars/1987-Po...4bwtX&lb=1&s=L

Pics of the '87 951. Needs paint, badly. No rust however. Galvanized steel FTW!
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

I always liked that body style, even when I was a kid.

Nice car for sure but I've always hated those phone dial wheels....such a PITA to clean....

But they have the optional ABS! first year it was available.

Sent from my GS3.
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

But they have the optional ABS! first year it was available.

Sent from my GS3.
    Haha, does it come with the emblem so people know you got it?!?

Page 101 of 126 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111 ... LastLast