Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bringing a fender rolling tool back to life and more

At our SoCal meetup a few weekends ago, Hieu (sillieidiot) was nice enough to let us borrow his fender rolling tool. Unfortunately, as soon as I started to use it it self destructed on me. Returning a tool broken is not cool so I volunteered to fix it and while doing so it became obvious that the way it was designed and made, they simply won't survive a lot of use so I did a couple extra things to hopefully strengthen it enough to last.

One of the problems was due to misuse. Myself and others attached it onto the car using the lug bolts. THIS SHOULD NOT BE DONE. Because it is designed to work on either 4 or 5 lug cars, two pairs of the holes at 9 and 3 o'clock are so close together that the conical shape of our lug bolts will deform the metal between the holes causing the tool to loosen itself during normal use. This then causes the whole mounting surface where it attaches to the car to bend and curl, and at least in his case, crack the welds, and the more you use it, the worse it gets. I did not take pictures before I pressed it back flat and re-welded it but here's an after pic:

I had some extra time so I flipped it over and ground the side that mounts to the car perfectly flat. Not really necessary but it looks cool:

This is the actual part that self destructed:

This is the shaft that exerts all the pressure on the roller that actually rolls the fender lip. I have no idea why they designed it with just a 12mm bolt and washer attaching it. It will last a few uses but eventually the threads will give out and it will look just like this one. Re-threading that to 7/16:

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 1439
Size:  28.5 KB

took care of the threads but now will be slightly weaker than the original 12mm bolt. To prevent that from self destructing again I did what they should have done:

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 1159
Size:  95.2 KB

Milled out a larger surface area and fit a thrust bearing on it.

Next up is the way they attached it to the tool:

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 2446
Size:  93.0 KB

There's two problems with this. That center part needs to rotate, which means you can't tighten the socket head screw completely, and it's never a good design to have things rotating on the threads of screws. This is the kind of thing that really annoys me as there is no cost difference between screws that are threaded all the way and those that have a shoulder:

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 1163
Size:  39.9 KB

Now you can tighten the screws completely and it will rotate on the shoulders instead of the threads:

Name:  8.jpg
Views: 1011
Size:  72.4 KB

And here's the roller assembled back together better than new and should last through plenty of uses:
    2006 CiC 6MT
    ZHP, Cold Weather, Xenon
    Sapphire Black / Black Leather / Black Cube

Here's the final pic:

Name:  9.jpg
Views: 1085
Size:  106.3 KB
    2006 CiC 6MT
    ZHP, Cold Weather, Xenon
    Sapphire Black / Black Leather / Black Cube

Beautiful work.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

+1. Nice job. Looking forward to our SoCal fender rolling day again!
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Good repairing a poor design.

It's awesome you were able to do this! Now it can get back to rollin'.

Nice work.

Nice work. Did the BEast coast one get repaired after the reunion or perhaps its still usable.

Quote Originally Posted by ELCID86 View Post
    Nice work. Did the BEast coast one get repaired after the reunion or perhaps its still usable.
    Still works fine.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
    +1. Nice job. Looking forward to our SoCal fender rolling day again!
    No doubt! Mighty fine job William! After seeing this I feel Very comfortable with you working on my Sprint Booster Mod!
    BAV Stage 1 - BlueBus - UltraGauge - V1 - Orion V4's - ARC-8's - Brembo 996
    TTFS Engine/SMG Tune/CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri
    VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - OE CSL Trunk - BWS 500S 9k/11k

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast