Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

OEM Xenon headlights

Hi

I was wondering where do you guys buy your replacement bulbs for the main projector headlight. Mine starts to flicker a bit and I suspect its the bulb going out.
    I shopped with auto goody before but I forgot which bulb I got.

Thanks.

-Daniel
    OEM BMW Performance (Missing cams and seats)
    LEVEL ONE // Euro Techniks
    Auto -> 6 Speed complete

Philips D2S from www.theretrofitsource.com

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Philips D2S from www.theretrofitsource.com

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4
    X2

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

Mods: Smoked corners, smoked side markers, smoked tails, 35% tint, CF kidney grills, debadged, angel eyes, 3000k HID Fogs, OBX exhaust, Sharked, solo werks S1 coilovers, front and rear strut brace, AUX cable
    "I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone built it for me"

-Daniel
    Auto -> 6 Speed complete

Hey man, if you want a cheap alternative, I've got a bunch of Philips 85122 OEM xenon bulbs, removed from various headlights I've taken apart/repaired...

If you want one, $25 shipped and its yours. I've got like 4-5 of them... Lemme know.

Otherwise, I went with mine at the retrofit source also.
    2011 E90 Lemans Blue/Bamboo Beige M3- Harrop Supercharged IG: lmb_zcp
    2013 F25 Alpine White/Chestnut X3 35i- Family Hauler
    2006 R53 British Racing Green/Panther Black Mini Cooper S FOR SALE! DM for details!
    Past: 2010 X5M, 2014 328d, 2003 330i ZHP, 2004 330i ZHP, 2012 X3 35i
    WTB!! 2009-2012 E91 328i Touring Contact me with info!

I don't think flickering is a sign of a bulb failing. Could be a ballast or ignitor issue? A friend of mine had this issue and it actually turned out to be the LCM.
    Yours are standard Xenon, right? Not Bi-Xenon? Is yours a D1S or D2S setup? If D1S, Joop's bulbs won't work for you.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

I don't think any E46 comes with D1s (not that hard to convert an AL setup to D1S, and I've been thinking of doing so myself... but that's another story).

Flickering could be anything really. Trouble shooting is as follows: Switch bulbs (left to right). If issue follows bulbs, it's the bulbs. If not, switch the ballasts. If it follows the ballasts. If it doesn't follow the ballasts, it's likely the ignitor

That said, sometimes it's something stupid. In my case, my flickering was caused by the ignitor pins being bent outward slightly too much. I bent them inward, and now my lights never flicker. The red herring was that the issue only manifested with my CBI bulbs; I think their rings are manufactured a hundredth of an inch too small or something

Damn, thanks for the tip on how to trouble shoot the headlight. I believe I used d2s.

Anyone got a pictorial diy I can refer to? I want to try and trouble shoot it ASAP.

Thanks.

-Daniel
    Auto -> 6 Speed complete

Quote Originally Posted by kakashi169 View Post
    Yes.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    I don't think flickering is a sign of a bulb failing. Could be a ballast or ignitor issue? A friend of mine had this issue and it actually turned out to be the LCM.
    Yours are standard Xenon, right? Not Bi-Xenon? Is yours a D1S or D2S setup? If D1S, Joop's bulbs won't work for you.
    I agree with BP and terra on this one not being the bulb.

My driver side headlight flickered on startup and sometimes didn't even start up. For my issue, the ignitor needed to be replaced. At least confirm its not the bulb since its the easier to switch out. I would swap the bulbs from left to right (I am assuming one bulb is flickering) and then confirm it is not the bulb flickering. If it does flicker, you were right and BP and I were wrong. IMO, it sounds like ignitor or ballast problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast