Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
    Well to update my post, I think the 10 second second yellow icon is letting me know it isn't happy. I dropped the left rear to 15 PSI and drove it nearly 5 miles with no warning popping up on the dash. It would be safe to say it is not functioning properly. I could visibly see the low tire and a <50% ratio to the other 3. What I find odd is the light should remain on if the system is inoperative from my reading so I am a little puzzled. Here is a video of the key on sequence. Notice the initial yellow/red/off and then yellow for an additional 10 seconds.

https://youtu.be/bnz6dWDNs1o
    Not sure how much you drove with your car before trying with a flat tire but that might be the reason why it isn't working. You have to know that when you trigger the reset of the calibration data, you have to drive at different speed range with the correct pressure in the car so the calibration data can be stored by the DSC module.
    So it might be that you didn't drove enough before trying to deflate a tire.

Quote Originally Posted by mauro23 View Post
    Not sure how much you drove with your car before trying with a flat tire but that might be the reason why it isn't working. You have to know that when you trigger the reset of the calibration data, you have to drive at different speed range with the correct pressure in the car so the calibration data can be stored by the DSC module.
    Good point mauro23. I only drove it about 2 or 3 miles through my neighborhood when I reset RPA through INPA just to make sure the light wasn't going to trigger straight away by some fault of coding or improper INPA RPA reset. I will go back out and reset RPA with INPA again and put some miles on it. Thanks for your suggestions. This keeps my hopes alive...

FCP just posted this on why tires lose pressure. I didn't know it was normal for tires to lose one lb per month in constant temp weather.

https://blog.fcpeuro.com/why-your-ti...sing-pressure?

A update on the progress of my TPMS (RPA) retrofit journey. I still want to see if the retrofit can be done so given the errors I have in the MK60 module for the missing button, I decided to wire that wire from pin 40 on the ABS module to the center console so I could test it when my RPA button with DSC button strip got here.

That all went well, getting access to the ABS module plug is challenging but well documented. It took a couple of hours doing it right and properly routing the wire from the ABS connector, through the DME box, into the cabin and finally into the center console area where the button strip is located.

And here's where it gets sideways on me. It has been years since I retrofitted the factory navigation and pulled the center console apart so I dove in and started disassembly of the mounting bracket to swap out the button panel with the TPMS reset button with DSC button panel. Originally mine had only the DSC button and never gave a thought about not having the 25 pin connector for the button strip panel. As I take it apart, I realize I have the individual button relocation bracket with only the DSC button and you guessed it, no 25 pin harness. Only the 4 pin DSC harness...

So my planned easy retrofit project existing of a few hours of a single wire routing, some simple coding and $30 for the fleaBay button switch panel has turned into wiring in the 25 pin connector and another $125 relocation bracket with the provision for the button switch panel.

Moving forward from here will be to simply make the proper wiring connections at the button panel outside of the console and testing the system before spending the additional money installing it correctly. A quick view of the New TIS wiring document shows I should only have to add terminal 30 power to pin 7 and k-bus to pin 23. Ground, terminal 15 and lighting inputs are all taken from the 4 pin DSC plug so I have a 25 pin connector and pins coming for the 2 wires needed along with the RPA wire coming from pin 40 on the MK60 to pin 2 on the 25 pin connector to plug into the new button switch panel along with the DSC harness.

The kicker is I still don't even know if this is going to work. Call me insane but the OCD is getting the best of me now. I am not giving up until I can confidently prove this will or will not work.

Name:  Run Flat Button.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  76.1 KB
    Last edited by Overboost; 01-25-2019 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mauro23 View Post
    I put the pressures back to normal, reset the RPA in INPA and took it out and put some miles on it with INPA connected mauro23. I watched it learn the values in real-time so I guess everything is working as it should. I want to put a few more drive cycles on it before dropping the pressure in one tire again to test it.

Name:  RPA Learned.JPG
Views: 628
Size:  93.7 KB

And officially thrown in the towel.

Got the switch center with RPA switch temporarily wired in with ZERO results. Couldn't even get the missing button error to clear so maybe my old MK60 is looking for the older RDC setup. I even dropped the FL tire pressure to 8 PSI and and took it for a 4 mile drive and still could not get a warning on the dash. I don't know, I give up. Coded the MK60 module and KMB back to original and cleared the $251 from my VO.

Call me defeated

And officially thrown in the towel.

Got the switch center with RPA switch temporarily wired in with ZERO results. Couldn't even get the missing button error to clear so maybe my old MK60 is looking for the older RDC setup. I even dropped the FL tire pressure to 8 PSI and and took it for a 4 mile drive and still could not get a warning on the dash. I don't know, I give up. Coded the MK60 module and KMB back to original and cleared the $251 from my VO.

Call me defeated
    whats tour coding index? if you access the MK60 module using INPA and go to the identification screen with the part# it should show the coding index.

the one in my red 2003 zhp was a coding index 13 and had 0 issues. button works, inpa works and it shows the indicator if i have a low tire.

in my wagon, it also is an mk60 car but the module was bad in it so i had to replace it. i purchased a MK60 module from a 2005 zhp part out locally and installed it last year not even planning for TPMS. then i decided to code it few weeks back.

i could code it and the KMB module 0 issues. my cluster shows the TPMS icon light up Yellow, RED then OFF and stays off. it DID come on when i had a low tire but it went away when i filled up and drove.

then i wired up the TPMS button in a switch panel I had. it didnt work or do anything, i then tried using INPA to see the learning screens like you saw and INPA shows the RPA F7 button DISABLED/GREY.

Terra said over on the M3 forum that becasue mine was a coding index 12 then it wont work fully.

it made me thing how weird is it that it doesnt work for me this ONE way but for you it doesnt work ANOTHER way ni regards that it doesnt trigger properly BUT you can still access it via INPA but for me it DOES work in regards to tire pressure but it does NOT work in INPA.

luckily i had another 2003 ZHP i just picked up locally and i enabled TPMS in the MK60 module, verified it was coding index 13 also and saw it working for me.

i went ahead and used the DIY on this forum for how to replace MK60 with out bleeding brakes and removed the coding index 13 MK60 from that 2003 car and swapped in yet another 2004 coding index 12 MK60 i had in a parts box so now that car is fine and DSC works in that ZHP but it wont be able to use TMPS lol.

and now i can use the proper Mk60 i scavenged from it in my wagon now.

it took about 3 hours for me to remove the MK60 from that car and swap in the NON TPMS dsc module.

tonight i will tackle swapping in the TPMS Mk60 module into my wagon and coding it with the VIN etc...

that's probably the route you will have to go.
    2003 ZHP 332i | S54 6 speed
    2002 ZHP Touring | M54 6 Speed

Mine was coding index C04. Yeah, if the module ever goes bad, I will replace it with a C13 for sure but only if I ever have to replace it. I just can't justify the cost or effort for the indirect TPMS unless the original module fails and has to be replaced anyway. It would have been a nice simple mod with the right module...

Mine was coding index C04. Yeah, if the module ever goes bad, I will replace it with a C13 for sure but only if I ever have to replace it. I just can't justify the cost or effort for the indirect TPMS unless the original module fails and has to be replaced anyway. It would have been a nice simple mod with the right module...
    Completely understandable. just FYI you can usually get these modules for $50 or some change on eBay.I just finished today installing it into my wagon and I'm good to go TPMS works just as it should with the button.
    2003 ZHP 332i | S54 6 speed
    2002 ZHP Touring | M54 6 Speed

Well, I performed this retrofit according to the instructions on page 1, but I never read past that until now, which I wish I did. I would have realized my car has the CI12 module and this was all a waste of time.

I did code the VO for $251 and made the NCS changes in the AKMB and MK60. All took and didn't complain. My TPMS light turns yellow and red when the key is in position 2 and then goes out. However, in INPA, the RPA option is gray and my reset switch doesn't do anything. So, yes, my module won't work with the reset switch, but shouldn't it at least work to monitor the wheel speeds and alert of a flat?

Below are some pictures from INPA. You will see the RPA option on the bottom gray. Pressing F7 does nothing. What I noticed under the identification, though, is that my CI12 module has a manufacture date of 11/04 but my car was built in 07/04. ??? Does that mean this piece was replaced at some point? The software date of programming is 09/27/02. Strange. Is that when the software was actually written (at BMW for example) vs coded to the module?

That brings me to my main question...Why can't we flash over newer software on these and update them? I can't imagine there are physical differences between the module preventing that? (I'm no expert in this coding though). Can my CI12 module at least be updated to something newer than 2002 software, that may at least let me access it via INPA?

Thanks for the help. Was a real bummer to wire all that up only to have no response. At least my sport button mod is working great. I did it a different way than the write up, which I will have to post. The sprint booster makes this car completely different.

'04 330i ZHP sedan | Mystic blue | Alcantara | 6MT | 111k
    '98 740il | Schwartz 2 | Sandbeige | 5AT | 238k | lowered on Bilsteins w/ B&G springs
    '00 540i sport | Titanium silver | Black | 5AT | 120k
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 215k | one owner, all original

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast