Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Okay, so I got around to installing the DSC module. Mechanically, it's fairly simple, but a bit tedious. You have to:

1) Drain as much fluid from the brake reservoir as possible
    2) Remove the brake reservoir
    3) Remove the master cylinder
    4) Disconnect all the brake lines going to the DSC module, undo a 10mm bolt holding the bracket down, and pull the module out.

If you got a complete DSC module, just swap the bracket onto the new module (3 10mm screws). If you want to reuse your old DSC pump/block, undo the two T25 screws going through, pull the electronic module off, and then install the new electronic module. I ended up doing this since the pump/block on my eBay unit didn't look to be in the best shape (rust).

Reinstall everything in the reverse order; make sure you don't cross thread the lines when reinstalling them into the DSC block

Next up is coding the module. This is easy enough, just recode the module to its defaults using NCS Expert
    You'll probably have an error stored for the steering angle sensor / VIN. I wasn't able to clear this with NCS Expert, INPA, or Tool32. I had to fire up DIS and go through the "VIN Learning" procedure to get that error to go away.

Finally you have to bleed the brakes.
    1) Bleed all 4 brakes. You'll get a ton of air coming through the lines, but eventually it'll clear up
    2) Fire up DIS, go to function selection, and find the DSC functions and pick "ventilation"
    3) Follow the instructions it gives you. If all goes well, your new DSC module should be installed and you'll now have a functional TPMS button

so I I tried to perform this over the holiday with some success but some questions.

first i have a 2003 sedan ZHP 6 speed.

i read my DSC module via INPA and it is MK60 v1.05, BMW Part # 6763959

I also have an E46 M3 cluster in my car as well.

i had no idea that the TPMS/RDC system is different between M3 and ZHPs.

so i went ahead with the retrofit and read the KMB module (again i didnt know the KMB was the cluster) and I went to modify the 4 lines and 2 lines werent even present. so I added them manually and flashed it back to the KMB. then I modified the MK60 TRC file and flashed that as well.

then restarted car in position 2 and the TPMS light came on in my M3 cluster but it was YELLOW which means malfunction.

I had a Switch panel from an M3 that has sport button and TPMS button and i went ahead and wired that to pin 40 on the DSC module.

plugged everything in and tried to press and hold TPMS button and nothing would happen. I figured it was because I had a differnet DSC part number or didnt update the VO in NCS....

i went and watched a show and kept thinking about everything.

fired up WDS and read pinouts of the switch panel in E46 M3 vs standard E46..

in the M3 the switch panel TPMS button actually goes to the DME according to the WDS.. but when I looked at the DME pinouts in WDS.. i could not find any reference of an input from switch panel at all in regards to TPMS.. i only saw the sport button pinouts for 15 and 16 on x60004

so then I plugged back in my old ZHP cluster and read the KMB again and this time i did see all 4 lines from the first post.. i modified those values and flashed them to my KMB again.

turned ignition off and back on.. this time my ZHP cluster flashed the TPMS indicator in red/yellow and turned off... then I press and held the TPMS button and i saw a yellow warning light... then pressing and holding the button again made it go away.

i plugged back in the M3 cluster which has that modified KMB file with the extra lines added (which I assume were not supposed to be added since the systems are different)

i saw the TPMS light flash on and then off... i press and held the TPMS button again and saw the light turn YELLOW and stay on and then i press and held it again and it turned off.

i will try driving the car tomorrow and see if the light comes back on and gets stuck in a state where it wont go away again... if that happens then I will throw back in the ZHP cluster since its already coded properly and see what happens with that. if it works fine then im going to have to figure out what i need to do when I perform my S54 swap with the S54 DME.

I could flash the original KMB trc file back to the M3 cluster but once I do that.. the TPMS reset button is wired to pin 40 on the DSC module but WDS says that should be going to S54 DME but the WDS pinout for the DME doesnt show any inputs for TPMS..

Jupiter, do you have any thoughts on this?

On MK60 E46 M3s (2003+), it goes to DSC Pin 40 like on the non-Ms.

Quote Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
    On MK60 E46 M3s (2003+), it goes to DSC Pin 40 like on the non-Ms.
    ok well thats good to know then. sounds like I may not need to do anything just yet and will wait till my S54 swap is in with the MS54 and the cluster is coded properly before trying to diagnose and change things further.

thanks for replying!

so this morning fired up the car, tested that the light came on when holding the button, then went off when holding it again for 7+ seconds.

i drove it and the light came on immediately and then would not reset with the button.

im thinking its because I added unnecessary code to the M3 KMB module. code that was meant for the ZHP cluster which i didnt know at the time, does not exist in the M3 KMB so I added it.

i think with the M3 cluster all I had to do was enable the RDC system in the DSC module and thats it.

im going to flash back the original M3 KMB file tonight and retest.

Update..... Since the m3 cluster was already coded for TPMS, when I added the code for the zhp cluster... That caused a malfunction.

So basically if you have a zhp with an M3 cluster swap all you have to do is changed one line of code in the mk60 module and that's it. Then run the wire like Jupiter BMW said from the reset button to the module.

For me all I had to do was reflash the original M3 cluster code and all is good in my car TPMS system works properly now and the reset button Works flawlessly.

Quote Originally Posted by nextelbuddy View Post
    Update..... Since the m3 cluster was already coded for TPMS, when I added the code for the zhp cluster... That caused a malfunction.

So basically if you have a zhp with an M3 cluster swap all you have to do is changed one line of code in the mk60 module and that's it. Then run the wire like Jupiter BMW said from the reset button to the module.

For me all I had to do was reflash the original M3 cluster code and all is good in my car TPMS system works properly now and the reset button Works flawlessly.
    Great work and good to know since I have an M3 cluster in my car
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Sockethead View Post
    Great work and good to know since I have an M3 cluster in my car
    In your case just treat it as if you have a ZHP cluster. I've coded your cluster to be recognized as a non-M cluster (for later clusters, this doesn't break anything, just makes it more convenient to use NCS Expert). So to enable the TPMS, you'd just add the option code to your VO and recode the cluster.

Ok I'm in the club.

2003 ZHP, build date 03/03.

DSC part number 6763959 code index 13

I DO have the option to enable the tire pressure warning system in my DSC MK60 module, and I have successfully enabled it.

At first I couldn't get the DSC MK60 module to accept the "aktiv" value for the TPMS, but I went back and added the $251 to my VO and then I was able to save the "aktiv" value to the DSC MK60 module.

Next I programmed the KMB module. However I was only able to get 3 out of the 4 settings to "stick". This one won't change to "gong", it keeps reverting back to "piezo":

4. Output Device for tire pressure control system (rdks) warning~WARN_MEDIUM_RDKS~gong / (piezo)

I still haven't made any hardware changes at all yet (no wiring, and I dont have the TPMS button panel yet), but I dont see why that would block this one setting from sticking in the KMB module.

I'll get around to making the hardware changes and then see if I can make another attempt at changing that one last value.
    2003 BMW 330i ZHP
    ESS Twin Screw Stage 2 - Wavetrac - Headers - Borla - BMW Performance
    Turner Motorsports - Powerflex - Hawk Performance

Build thread: http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...yan-s-2003-ZHP
    Wheelwell: 2003 BMW 3 Series
    Fuelly: 2003 BMW 330i

Sounds like you're using a standard expert mode profile rather than one that can make custom settings. That's why the settings only took after you added $251 (because it's coding to what the settings are supposed to be for that option code).

That value is supposed to be piezo anyway.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast