Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Im guessing these are only for HIDs?

Quote Originally Posted by Yass_ZHP View Post
    Im guessing these are only for HIDs?
    Only for factory Xenon setups.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    Only for factory Xenon setups.
    Thought so..... thanks!

Thanks az3579

Max

Max, thanks for the PM. I'll probably do the deal with you shortly. Have track day this weekend. Need to survive that first.

Maybe I should do the deal for two bowls with one core and keep 2nd as a spare.

Thread update, 1 set remaining. More should be available after the holidays.

Max

Wish this was available when I retrofitted mine.

Check out my youtube channel for all kinds of E46 DIY's
    http://www.youtube.com/user/flipfinish?feature=mhee
    Check out my BMW Blog
    http://smolckbmw.blogspot.com/
    Follow me on twitter @smolck

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalZman View Post
    How's business been?

Can you tell us a bit more about this metallic plating? How do you replate them? You say OEM method but I don't know what that is and I am geeky curious. what material are you using to replate and why did you pick that material? You said the new material is more robust. What makes you say that?

Now for questions specific to my situation. I have looked at my headlights from the back and they only have slight browning amazingly. Would you say this new, more robust material would be good as a preventative measure as well for people like me rather than waiting for the bowls to destroy themselves? If so, what is your turn around time? I don't drive my car often living in a big city. I would like to keep my original equipment if that was ok.
    Unfortunately, I cannot take credit for the process. I outsource to a third party based on 'volume'. The equipment needed for the process is far too expensive.

The process is known as plastic 'metallizing'. It is a physical metal plating applied via heat to the plastic substrate. As far as the specifics of the process, I do not know them nor would I care to divulge them if I did. The increase in "robustness" comes from the use of a urethane base as opposed to a water based plating solution.

For your case, I would say if you can see any brown at all from the back of the bowls, the damage is already done. My guess would be if you were to disassemble them now, you would see much more burning from the inside. Turn around time is typically a month or so and multiple sets are completed at once. However, I have 2 individuals currently in line for sets that are being worked on currently.

If you have any more specific questions, feel free to pm me.
    Thanks

Max

I'm assuming this process wasn't developed for our specific bowl replacement/ shouldvebeencoveredbyrecall issue. So based on other applications how's the lifespan of the refurbishment fairing? Again, assuming it's being used for other headlight refurbishments or other reflective needs.

Anything done to the bowls themselves, or simply trying to fill in any cracks/holes and provide a smooth surface for the reflective metal? Nothing else to try to enhance the reflectiveness or direction of the beam?
    2003 ZHP. Stock as hell. Personalized with dents and dings.

Quote Originally Posted by Clemsone46 View Post
    The increase in "robustness" comes from the use of a urethane base as opposed to a water based plating solution.

For your case, I would say if you can see any brown at all from the back of the bowls, the damage is already done. My guess would be if you were to disassemble them now, you would see much more burning from the inside. Turn around time is typically a month or so and multiple sets are completed at once. However, I have 2 individuals currently in line for sets that are being worked on currently.

If you have any more specific questions, feel free to pm me.
    Thanks

Max
    Interesting. I wonder if any manufacturers use a urethane based plating now to avoid our issue or they just use metal altogether.

Sounds like you have a line formed up. I will subscribe and keep an eye on your stock.
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT. Built 11-19-04. Bought 4-2012.
    Stock: Nav, leather, PDC, Xenon
    Added by me: OEM Alarm, OEM heated seats, OEM aux kit, OEM Bluetooth, intravee, M3 strut brace, BMW Performance Intake, Nappa leather arm rest, updated LCM (triple blink, euro hazards, trifecta lighting, 3 stage brakes), temp gauge

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast