Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

FRent: MIS RTAB Tool

Updated 20 July 2021

Up for rent is a MIS RTAB tool.

General
    When I first started this, 10/2013, I saw a range of $25-$45 for rental, please let me know if this becomes un-competitive. I am not looking to get rich here, in fact I want to be the cheapest option available for our community, so if you find it cheaper, let me know and I will try my best to match it. Shipping costs are the biggest obstacle with the tool, so I very well may not be able to match, especially if you find a local rental. If that is the case then no hard feelings, go ahead and take the better deal. If you are in the Memphis area, I will lower the rate depending on how far I have to drive to meet you to drop off and pick up the tool. I live near downtown.

The Deposit
    I have been taking in a $100 deposit and refunding $75 when the tool returns. The tool cost me $94 shipped (new) in 2013. I use PayPal or Venmo to rent the tool, unless you are local you can use cash if you prefer, if using PayPal please send the funds as "Friends and Family" to save on fee's. I will send the partial refund back as "Friends and Family" to save fee's for you. PM me for my Venmo or PayPal Address.

Shipping, Total Cost and Shipping Details
    At this time, July 2021, it currently cost $8.45 to ship it flat rate USPS. Out of your $100 deposit I spend $8.45 to ship the tool to you, after you are done you pay an additional $8.45 out of your pocket to ship it back, then I refund $75. Your total cost is $33.45. Most of the time the box can make two trips, but if the box comes in looking really rough and mangled, just pick up a new one at the post office when you send it back, they should not charge you for the box. It might be best, however, to take some packing tape with you so you can tape the box well. It is a heavy tool in a small box, I usually ship it with some packing material to keep it from shifting around to much, please hold on to that packing material and use it to send it back. If you loose the packing material, no big deal, please just shove some newspaper or something in with it to keep it from shifting around in the box to much, which can ultimately damage the box. Sometimes PayPal gives me an address when these funds come in, sometimes it does not, so please provide a mailing address at some point in our PM communication.

Transparency
    Out of that $25 I will have paid $8.45 to ship it to you, I will have put back about $5 to replace the threaded rod. For whatever reason the threaded rod will stretch out over 4-5 uses and at that point must be replaced. It is not terribly expensive and I do not hold the user responsible for replacing the threaded rod, so please let me know if you have difficulty with the tool. The few bucks left over ($11.55) covers my drive to and from the post office and buys me a cheap sandwich.

Timing
    There is no time limit on the tool, if you keep it forever, then you paid $100 for it. Just give me a heads up that you are keeping it forever so I can take this post down.

Next Person in Line
    Sometimes if I get a few members lined up I can have one member send it to the next member, this saves on shipping costs which I don't mind partially passing on to both members. If you would, please send me a PM before you ship it back to me so that I can arrange to have you ship it to the next member should the timing work out. But again, there is no time limit, so please do not feel rushed, even if someone is waiting next in line to rent the tool.

PM
    Please feel free to PM me with any additional questions or concerns!
    Last edited by Imola.ZHP; 07-20-2021 at 05:48 AM. Reason: Updated Shipping Cost on Rental Tool

- 2021 Tesla Model Y LR-AWD '21-
    - 2014 CPO i01 BEV Capparis White Tera World, '17-'20
    - 2015 CPO i01 BEV Laurel Grey Tera World, '17-'18 R.I.P
    - 2015 i01 REx Laurel Grey Tera World, '15-'17
    - 2003 CPO 330i ZHP Imola Red Build 03/03/03, '06-'15

I successfully rented, used, and returned Marcus' (Imola.ZHP) MIS RTAB tool.
    First, I waited until last minute to decided to rent from someone. Marcus was first to respond and had it in the mail immediately. It arrived on schedule, I used it and returned it (Flat rate shipping box <$6 ). Marcus immediately returned the deposit. No worries there.

As for how the tool worked, well I am glad I had it. Would have been a real PITA without.

One hint - after watching several DIY videos, I saw the tool being used from either side. However, if you examine the rear trailing arm bracket where the bushing in press fit into, you will notice one side is very squared off while the other side is rounded on the OD (outside diameter) and beveled on the ID (inside diameter). It works best if the tool's support base (the U-shaped piece) is located on the squared off side - this greatly reduces the chances of it slipping off the RTA when tourqe is applied. Also, always insert new busing from the beveled side (it really helps get the bushing in straight and without damage)

If your are replacing RTABs, do yourself a favor and get the tool. yeah, $25 is a bit for tool rental, but afterwards you will know it was worth it.

Three pedal ZHP

Quote Originally Posted by SC4ME View Post
    I successfully rented, used, and returned Marcus' (Imola.ZHP) MIS RTAB tool.
    First, I waited until last minute to decided to rent from someone. Marcus was first to respond and had it in the mail immediately. It arrived on schedule, I used it and returned it (Flat rate shipping box <$6 ). Marcus immediately returned the deposit. No worries there.

As for how the tool worked, well I am glad I had it. Would have been a real PITA without.

One hint - after watching several DIY videos, I saw the tool being used from either side. However, if you examine the rear trailing arm bracket where the bushing in press fit into, you will notice one side is very squared off while the other side is rounded on the OD (outside diameter) and beveled on the ID (inside diameter). It works best if the tool's support base (the U-shaped piece) is located on the squared off side - this greatly reduces the chances of it slipping off the RTA when tourqe is applied. Also, always insert new busing from the beveled side (it really helps get the bushing in straight and without damage)

If your are replacing RTABs, do yourself a favor and get the tool. yeah, $25 is a bit for tool rental, but afterwards you will know it was worth it.
    Thanks for the reply/review and for renting the tool. I paid for the shipping to you out of that $25 ($5.80), so I netted a little less than $20, not looking to get rich here, just want to help other members. I don't know why, but I didn't even think about searching the forums for a tool rental before doing this job myself; if I had, I would have gladly just rented one myself. I read about and watched a few video's of people using the tool and the other ways to remove the bushings not using the tool. I quickly ordered the tool after watching and reading about ways to do the job without the tool (not fun!).

The tool is back in my toolbox ready for the next renter if anyone needs it!

This is a great idea and glad you could help a member out. I know Dane has been doing the same with some srs reader(s).

Hey man is this tool still for rent? I'm local and hopefully I'll be doing my RTABs mid July.

Might rent this in the future because it is a cheap way to do this kind of thing. Pricing is spot on and better because no beefy deposit. Bimmerforums is ~$80 minus $50 deposit or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Taliben View Post
    Hey man is this tool still for rent? I'm local and hopefully I'll be doing my RTABs mid July.
    I just replied to your PM, one of the questions was time frame, I should have it fixed around that time. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Pip View Post
    Might rent this in the future because it is a cheap way to do this kind of thing. Pricing is spot on and better because no beefy deposit. Bimmerforums is ~$80 minus $50 deposit or something.
    I'll beat that end-price ($30) Pip, but I do ask for more up front just to cover my initial $94 investment.

Thanks!

Tool is finally fixed!

Out for rent to local enthusiast, Taliben, as of today, should be back and ready to go back out within a week or so.

Thanks!

And he has the fender roller. Looks like he's doing some good work.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Tool is back and ready to be rented.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast