Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

325i auto trans... car won't move

Hey family,

A good friend of mine is having problems with his e46 325i transmission (auto). Does anyone know what is going on?

Here's what he writes on the other forum...

Hey All,

Just picked up my first E46 (2005 325i with GM Auto Trans) a few months ago and I've come across an unusual (to me) issue:

The car will start totally normally, but when I put it in Reverse or Drive, absolutely nothing happens. I will hit the gas and the engine will rev, but it's as if I'm in a manual transmission car in neutral. The engine revs increase but the car will not move at all. I'll put it back in park and wait maybe 10 minutes or so, and after the car has warmed up pretty well, everything works totally normally as if there's no issue at all.

I've already checked the transmission fluid and the level and condition are fine.

As mentioned, this is the GM trans, and the car just cracked 100k miles. I've gotten no error codes of any kind so I don't have any hints from that.

I'm totally stumped as to what else I can eliminate before I have to start considering a serious transmission repair. A lengthy search revealed a few threads citing similar issues, but I've yet to see any real resolution. Anything else I can check?

Thanks in advance!

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1012385
    Matt/Matthew/Belvin
    2003 ZHP Sedan, 6sp, Jet Black/Sand with Black Cube
    *Amber Army*

www.noreverse.org

Sent from my S4 > Mason, OH
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Hey Dane,

He saw that and went there. The thing is that reverse wasn't the issue to start with. Reverse had just now become an issue. He took it into the shop that he has taken his BMWs for years and they told him that they checked that little mesh screen and it was fine.

He wanted me to add that sometimes it will move, but extremely sluggish... feels like you are dragging the clutch in a manual trans and never really letting it engage.
    Matt/Matthew/Belvin
    *Amber Army*

I would spend the money and change the fluid just to rule it out for sure, just my .2

Time for a tranny rebuild or a swap.

-Daniel
    OEM BMW Performance (Missing cams and seats)
    LEVEL ONE // Euro Techniks
    Auto -> 6 Speed complete

Call Steve Dose, he might have some ideas

619-449-3835
    www.dosebmw.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    Call Steve Dose, he might have some ideas

619-449-3835
    www.dosebmw.com
    Thanks, I will give him that info.
    Matt/Matthew/Belvin
    *Amber Army*

JP, Ed gave them a call. He said they were very helpful. Told him a couple things to check. He wanted me to thank you for the suggestion.
    Matt/Matthew/Belvin
    *Amber Army*

No problem, glad they could help

I saw a Pontiac that did the same thing and it turned out to be simply low on atf. I would start by verifying your friend's method for checking the atf level. Many people don't know the tranny needs to be warmed up, engine running, cycle through the gears then place back in park and then check the level with the engine still idling.

If that is verified then the next thing to check is a stuck on brake caliper. Does it roll easy in neutral?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast