Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Flapping/ Clicking sound coming from the dash after switching off engine

I have just purchased a 2004 330 CI. Very proud of it, and in excellent condition, but I'm a bit concerned about a strange noise coming from the dash after switch off. It sounds like it is coming from the fans, inside the car as opposed to it being outside in the engine bay. The noise is best described as being a loud whiring with intermittent clicking/ flapping. Any ideas? think it's something to do with the air conditioning, but wouldn't have the first idea ho to get behind the dash to check? is it a big job?

Any ideas most appreciated.

Also- minor point, but there seems to be a squeak coming from the rear parcel shelf or seats- any common faults that could provide a quick fix?

May just be something caught up in the blower motor?

What does after "switch off" mean?
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

With the car running, turn the blower fan completely off and see if you can reproduce the sound. Might just be a blower fan. Mine were always making noise in my 325.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

by "switching off" I just mean turning the ignition off at the key. Is the blower motor easy to get to? I suppose something small could have fallen down the windscreen blower vent and is catching on the fan?

It is located under your in cabin air filter housing.....

Look for the blue dot.

Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

many thanks- i'll try stripping it down and re-assembling.

I bet it wouldn't hurt to change out that nasty in cabin filter either.....lol. This is one thing people overlook, and they wait for it to smell, before they change it. I recommend every 15k....or...every other oil change.

Here's a good thread I saved a while back about various rattles/squeaks and how to fix them.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=605933

Barry

My 325 does the same thing OP.

I thought it was normal, like if there was a flap that slowly closed to prevent fresh air from coming in.

If, with the engine running, I turn the blower fan all the way down until the AC/heat unit shuts off, I hear the same noise.
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Oli77 View Post
    My 325 does the same thing OP.

I thought it was normal, like if there was a flap that slowly closed to prevent fresh air from coming in.

If, with the engine running, I turn the blower fan all the way down until the AC/heat unit shuts off, I hear the same noise.
    Probably the dampner system.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast