Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

BMW E46 Touring - troubleshooting a malfunctioning rear wiper

So driving to work today, I was thinking that I should clean my rear window and was thankful that I have the rear wiper on the touring.

So, I pushed the turn signal stalk towards the dash and activated the rear wiper and rear washer fluid pump. Then I heard a clunk from the rear, looked in my rear view mirror and watched the windshield washer fluid continually discharge and my wiper arm stop at approximately the 12 oclock position. After a good minute the windshield washer fluid pump finally stopped pumping fluid.

After arriving at work, I stopped and turned the car off. I got out and checked the wiper arm for movement - it seems to be locked in position; I can't forcibly rotate the wiper arm back to the rest position.

I also opened and closed the window and the hatch, thinking if the upper window was not completely closed that the wiper arm may have stopped.

I opened the fuse box and checked fuses 14 and 45 (IIRC) which are both listed as being for the rear wiper (touring only). Both look good (aside from discoloration from age) and for good measure I swapped these with other fuses).

I'm thinking there could be a few troubleshooting paths from this point forward.

1. The wiper arm motor is toast - needs replaced.
    2. The connector supplying power to the wiper arm is loose, damaged, or disconnected.
    3. The rear wiper position on the turn signal stalk is no longer functioning.

Considering the "clunk" I heard came from the rear, I'm assuming its #1 or related somehow to the rear window.

Any other thoughts?

I think I might leave it - what do you think? May improve my drag coefficient and give me some moar rwhp or mpgs
    Last edited by billschusteriv; 02-14-2011 at 07:34 AM.

Hankook Ventus V4's 205/55/16 | 16" BMW OE Style 45's | ECSTuning 15mm Spacers | Thule 45050 Crossroad Rack | Thule 870XT Fairing | LLumar 35%/20% Tint
    Custom Vienna Austria Euro Plate | GoMiniGo "No-Holes" License Plate Bracket | Smoked License Plate Cover | Black License Plate Frame | Khoalty LED License Plate Lights

I like 1.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Thanks Dane - I'm leaning that way too.

I've checked a few UK sites and I'm also finding that its possible for the window to be causing some drag on the wiper arm shaft. I'm going to disassemble, clean, lubricate and give it another shot. The only hang up I have with this - is that I haven't toasted any fuses yet.

FYI - Here's what I'm working with:

The round "disk" on the motor (p/n 1) connects magnetically when the window closes to the wiper shaft pivot (p/n 2) in the upper picture - which drives the rear window wiper arm (p/n 1) in the lower picture.
    Last edited by billschusteriv; 02-14-2011 at 01:12 PM.

Hankook Ventus V4's 205/55/16 | 16" BMW OE Style 45's | ECSTuning 15mm Spacers | Thule 45050 Crossroad Rack | Thule 870XT Fairing | LLumar 35%/20% Tint
    Custom Vienna Austria Euro Plate | GoMiniGo "No-Holes" License Plate Bracket | Smoked License Plate Cover | Black License Plate Frame | Khoalty LED License Plate Lights

Only number one makes logistical sense if you couldn't move the arm manually. Something has seized is my interpretation of events....
    "No, Donny, these men are nihilists, there's nothing to be afraid of"

09 135i Msport 6mt
    04 330i ZHP (sold)
    David

Only number one makes logistical sense if you couldnt move the arm manually. Something has siezed is my interpretation of events....
    Agree with your synopsis.

I got home tonight, popped the rear window, and started checking for interfering trim pieces on the hatch. To do this, I turned off the car, removed a trim piece, turned the key to auxilary, and depressed the stalk to activate the rear wiper.

At the top of the window, there is a trim piece on the hatch that has broken clips I thought could be interfering. Removed, closed the window, and tested - no change; the rear wiper didn't move.

I opened the rear window and started looking at the wiper assembly. With the window open, I was able to move the wiper arm freely from left to right. So I thought I should check the motor.

I moved the trim piece covering the motor and was unable to move the driveshaft for the motor with my bare hand. So I was thinking a bearing seized and was next going to consult the Bentley.

But then I remembered to test the rear wiper - so for grins, I left the rear window open and turned the key to auxilary to test the rear wiper. And the motor returned to the home position! So I manually moved the wiper arm and closed the window.

After it returned to the "normal" position, I decided to finish troubleshooting tomorrow and spend the rest of the evening with my wife and daughter.

I will likely attempt to use the rear wiper tomorrow.

I forgot to mention that this is a sudden change in behavior for the rear wiper. Never had any issues and I tend to use it frequently.

Sounds like you're getting closer.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Sounds like you're getting closer.
    Yes and meh. I tested the wiper yesterday and it returned to misbehaving. At least my rear window was cleaned in the process.

The rear wiper was dragging and hanging up slightly around the 12oclock position. No loud noises this time.

Haven't had time to disassemble the wiper and troubleshoot further yet - my wife bartered away my computer repair services to one of our friends for a massage for her. The laptop in question is acting up right now - its not pretty.

check the nut holding the arm on or the splines.

2005 BMW 330i ZHP
    2004 BMW 330Ci ZHP A DIY Turbocharger Project!

My site: www.E46Turbo330Ci.com
    http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=545&dateline=1337626488

Will do - I'll let you know how it works out this weekend. Hoping to do this and an oil change.

Wiper is back at 12 oclock position. Can move the wiper clockwise the full range, but cannot return the wiper counter clockwise to the home position - the arm stops around the 12 oclock position, meeting resistance from the motor.

Final update:

FIXED. For now.

I believe the overload on the rear wiper motor kept the seized arm from doing to much damage to the motor. The wiper arm shaft and assembly on the window was thoroughly soaked with penetrating fluid and moves freely now. The overload on the motor reset and returned the motor to the home position. The rear wiper moves as it should now.

We'll see how this behaves over the coming months. I'll post when and if I need to replace the wiper motor.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast