Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some Follow-Up

Some Follow-Up

So, thanks to all of you, I decided to pay down the loan on the ZHP, and just do some regular bolt ons here and there.

HOWEVER, also thanks to you guys, I decided to put some of my supercharger money toward an E36 M3 to build the piss out of. I'm not a huge horsepower kinda guy; I'm a usable horsepower kinda guy. So, I'm thinking I'd like to refresh the S50 with some internals, a VAC head, and a Technique stage 1 kit

So, I'm going this week to look at these. I'm in Cleveland, but these guys are about an hour and some away from me.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/4132379723.html :120k on it, Hellrot red, black vaders, 5 speed with a new clutch and tires. Guy says there's some play in the shifter, but it shifts smooth and he drives it every day. All that means for me: new bushings an d a UUC SSK.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/4159913221.html : 166k on it, Silver, dove LUXURY package, no vaders; just regular E36 seats, guy sent me probably two dozen pictures of the undercarriage. It's got a no-accident CarFax, and it's bone stock.

What would you guys do? I guess I think a well-kept 166k is probably better than 120k that might not be as clean. Plus, They're both in the $6k range. The silver one said he'd go to $6,300, the Hellrot one said he's flexible on price.

What do my fellow enthusiasts think?

I personally would go with the 166k one considering its bone stock it's likely not been rode too hard. Vader's are sweet though. Either one are provably going to need a suspension refresh at the minimum just considering age and mileage. In the end it comes down to how deep in you're going to want to go on the motors and whether or not you're wanting a little more of a sleeper or going balls to the wall with it. If youre planning on starting from the ground up then pick the one you think you will like more and want to hold onto the most. Little things may not seem like a major thing now but could end up bugging you later on.

sent from S4

'01 330i

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerWill View Post
    I personally would go with the 166k one considering its bone stock it's likely not been rode too hard. Vader's are sweet though. Either one are provably going to need a suspension refresh at the minimum just considering age and mileage. In the end it comes down to how deep in you're going to want to go on the motors and whether or not you're wanting a little more of a sleeper or going balls to the wall with it. If youre planning on starting from the ground up then pick the one you think you will like more and want to hold onto the most. Little things may not seem like a major thing now but could end up bugging you later on.

sent from S4
    Well, I plan on going pretty deep with it. I plan on building to accommodate for the Technique Tuning stage 1 kit, and upgrading from there. The silver one looks better in terms of chassis care, but I'll have to see how they both run, sound, act, etc. Either way, it's getting motor work, so do I care? Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Junior2552 View Post
    Well, I plan on going pretty deep with it. I plan on building to accommodate for the Technique Tuning stage 1 kit, and upgrading from there. The silver one looks better in terms of chassis care, but I'll have to see how they both run, sound, act, etc. Either way, it's getting motor work, so do I care? Haha.
    If that's the case then I would go with the hellrot...got to love that color and the Vader seats can be hard to come by. If youre planning on putting that much into the motor you might as well do a suspension refresh. More than likely will end up going to a coilovers system with adjustable dampening if you plan to track the car etc. That thing is going to be a blast when you get through with it!

sent from S4

'01 330i

My dude, I have suspension covered. I am an avid customer over at Fortune Auto. I love their coilovers. Linear springs for our cars aren't easy to come by, but Fortune Auto uses Swifts. Also, I have a set of Corbeau LG1 seats in the garage for an E36, so I don't think the Vader's would be utilized. Again, it could be a coin toss. I'll probably get rid of the Vaders and put in the lighter, more aggressive Corbeaus.

So, that being said, which one now? Haha, motor is getting a refresh-- Arrow rods and CP pistons, I'm going to put it on a very track-esque coilover, and I need a solid chassis so it doesn't fall apart on such a harsh ride. The silver one LOOKS solid, but has 40k more miles on it. I'll have to see both in person and really weigh the options. The silver one might be in better shape than the Hellrot (no matter how much I love "arrest me" red).

Vader's are not that comfortable

We love the vaders in our e36. They hold me in much better than my e46 sport seats.
    To me, there's nothing more "distinctively e36" than vader seats.

If you are rebuilding everything, get as clean a body as you can find.
    In the market for an E90 M3

Quote Originally Posted by Junior2552 View Post
    My dude, I have suspension covered. I am an avid customer over at Fortune Auto. I love their coilovers. Linear springs for our cars aren't easy to come by, but Fortune Auto uses Swifts. Also, I have a set of Corbeau LG1 seats in the garage for an E36, so I don't think the Vader's would be utilized. Again, it could be a coin toss. I'll probably get rid of the Vaders and put in the lighter, more aggressive Corbeaus.

So, that being said, which one now? Haha, motor is getting a refresh-- Arrow rods and CP pistons, I'm going to put it on a very track-esque coilover, and I need a solid chassis so it doesn't fall apart on such a harsh ride. The silver one LOOKS solid, but has 40k more miles on it. I'll have to see both in person and really weigh the options. The silver one might be in better shape than the Hellrot (no matter how much I love "arrest me" red).
    Fortune Auto FTW. Good choice

Perhaps option #3? Why not try to find an E36 M3 that is already set up (at least partially) for the track? Just knowing some of the costs of setting up one of these, I would think you could save some money, even if you end up tweaking it to your own liking. Just an idea.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

-Brettski

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast