Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is this?

What is this?

The other day while cleaning up under the hood, I noticed this weird pasty substance. What is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

looks to me like someone used gasket seal when installing the thermostat
    http://www.cobywheel.com/images/banners/cobybanner1 copy.jpg

From the factory?

Looks like a slight coolant seep/leak. What kind of coolant do you have in the system? Make sure it is not the green death. Make sure it is the blue bmw coolant--half coolant half distilled water. The green junk will corrode your system including the heating core.

I've had to keep topping it off every few days or so because the low coolant light stays on in the morning while using the heater or even the a/c on a low setting. I've always used the blue coolant from the dealership... Now what was used previous to me owning it? Who knows...

It sounds to me like you have a coolant leak somewhere. If it is indeed a leak at this point, you could also have a failing water pump. Have you done a complete coolant flush/change of the coolant since you owned. At the very least you need to find where the leak is and fix immediately. How many miles?

What is this?

I did have a leak through the expansion tank cap, the gasket had shrunk in the cap allowing overflow, which I replaced . I do believe I have a leak on the lower radiator hose area. I'm at 56k on the miles

You need to fix the leaks immediately. How many miles on the car. It may be time for a coolant system refresh to include new thermostat, new water pump, new radiator, hoses and sensors. If you let this go on with out addressing you could be stranded and possibly damage your engine if it overheats. I/we can talk you through a coolant system refresh, I know I've done four already on my BMWs.

Haha Echo, I will definitely need the walk through. This is the first car that I've self maintained.

+1 on the coolant system refresh. 60k is a good time before the plastics start to go.

Sent from my NEC Terrain using Tapatalk 4

Hankook Ventus V4's 205/55/16 | 16" BMW OE Style 45's | ECSTuning 15mm Spacers | Thule 45050 Crossroad Rack | Thule 870XT Fairing | LLumar 35%/20% Tint
    Custom Vienna Austria Euro Plate | GoMiniGo "No-Holes" License Plate Bracket | Smoked License Plate Cover | Black License Plate Frame | Khoalty LED License Plate Lights

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast