Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A harsh reality

A harsh reality

I just finished my first track weekend and had a ton of fun. Among the things that I learned and need to continue to work on I learned that I simply do not fit in my car when it comes to being on the track. I can wiggle the seat around and fold myself into a suitable shape for driving on the street, but having a helmet on just throws all of that out of the window. I come to you, now, for advise.

The shortest telling of the story is that I'm too tall. My initial attempts to adjust my seat had me with the seat way too far back, which just promoted me slipping around in the car and using the steering wheel as a brace. After a few runs I gave up on trying to keep the top of my helmet off of the roof and moved the seat as close to the wheel as possible and still be able to swivel my head.

At the same time I had finally learned the trick of moving the seat way back, getting the seat belt to lock and then moving the seat back up into my driving position to hold me in the seat. This didn't help the main problem so much, but it did help me feel more comfortable taking corners.

Even with moving the seat back up and having my knees (probably a little too) close to the dash my arms were nearly straight when I was holding onto the wheel. Which, as you fine gentlemen know, just wont do.

Because I want to keep going to HPDEs and really enjoyed this past weekend, its something that I want to keep up. But with my seat position being what it is, I cant see myself getting comfortable enough to be able to progress.

Do any of you have recommendations of cars that might suit a person of height better (I'm 6'6" by the way)? My friends who I was with at the track were recommending switching out the seats, which I'm ok with the idea of, but just not in the car I have currently. The interior is in very good shape and if I'm going to start down that road I want to do it to a car with an interior that is worn. I've tried hopping into an e30 with race seats and I ran into the same issue. My friends e36m wasnt very bad. I'd possibly be open to a manufacturer switch if it would mean a significant increase in comfort without a drop in performance\handling.

If you happen to be in the Northern Virginia area over the Holidays, you're welcome to try a test fit of your body with helmet in my son's coupe. His is a non-sunroof ZHP coupe and we recently swapped the powered sport seats out for a set of non-powered M3 seats. The lack of the sunroof track mechanism gives you an inch or so and the lack of electric motors in the drivers seat also lowers it closer to the floor.

Also the racing seats you mentioned go much closer to the floor, you'll need to buy the e46-specific rail mounts and these racing seats bolt right up to the factory locations.

Bruce
    21 GMC Sierra - mine
    16 X5 M-Sport - wife
    11 M3 - 1st son
    04 Tundra - 2nd son
    17 X1 M-Sport - daughter

Former (mo/yr sold):
    15 335xi M-Sport (8/18)
    11 335is (8/17)
    11 X5 AW/blk (11/15)
    04 330xi blk/gray (7/15)
    06 ZHP SGM/blk (6/15)
    08 335xi blue/blk (4/15)
    04 ZHPci MB/blk (2/14)
    04 ZHPcic IR/Alc (10/13)
    01 540iT anthra/blk (7/13)
    04 ZHPci TIAG/blk (9/12)
    03 540i M-Sport (9/12)
    01 325ci (3/12)
    02 325iT 5MT (10/11)
    05 ZHPci (7/11)
    03 330cic (2/11)
    00 323ci (10/10)

I actually am going to be in the Manassas a few times one is going to be on the 16th and 17th of Dec and then again for the week of January 12. Once were a little closer to those dates I'll send you a message. Thank you for the offer.

I'm not nearly that tall, but two Captain Obvious questions.
    1) Did you lower the seat as low as it will go?
    2) Did you extend the telescoping steering wheel as far towards you as it will go?

Quote Originally Posted by Asiah119 View Post
    I actually am going to be in the Manassas a few times one is going to be on the 16th and 17th of Dec and then again for the week of January 12. Once were a little closer to those dates I'll send you a message. Thank you for the offer.
    We live about 10-20 minutes from Manassas, depending upon which part of that city you're in. Feel free to hit me up, his car will be back home from college by then.

Bruce
    21 GMC Sierra - mine
    16 X5 M-Sport - wife
    11 M3 - 1st son
    04 Tundra - 2nd son
    17 X1 M-Sport - daughter

Former (mo/yr sold):
    15 335xi M-Sport (8/18)
    11 335is (8/17)
    11 X5 AW/blk (11/15)
    04 330xi blk/gray (7/15)
    06 ZHP SGM/blk (6/15)
    08 335xi blue/blk (4/15)
    04 ZHPci MB/blk (2/14)
    04 ZHPcic IR/Alc (10/13)
    01 540iT anthra/blk (7/13)
    04 ZHPci TIAG/blk (9/12)
    03 540i M-Sport (9/12)
    01 325ci (3/12)
    02 325iT 5MT (10/11)
    05 ZHPci (7/11)
    03 330cic (2/11)
    00 323ci (10/10)

Quote Originally Posted by LivesNearCostco View Post
    I'm not nearly that tall, but two Captain Obvious questions.
    1) Did you lower the seat as low as it will go?
    2) Did you extend the telescoping steering wheel as far towards you as it will go?
    Seat back [the rear adjustment for the seat height] is down as far as possible. I have the front up some to give my legs some support just because of the angle that my knees have to be at. Wheel is all of the way out as well.

Sometimes its the simple questions that solve a problem, so they're usually the best ones to ask.
    Last edited by Asiah119; 11-25-2013 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Realized I used the completely wrong word

Get a vert? Just kidding. Sounds like there are some options left. Hope it works out.
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

I had joked with my instructor about getting a vert and just having a ridiculously tall roll bar in it.

Despite this possibly sounding self serving (it's not), have you thought about corvettes at all? I have a friend that is 6'8" that sold his e46 sedan for a c5 corvette, so he would have more space. Fairly inexpensive entry (10-25k depending on condition/year/options), maintenance, parts, mods, and great on track. Aside from your mention of an e36m, it's one of the best affordable used cars to turn into a HPDE/track car. Have you driven any Evos or STIs? I felt like I had a lot of extra adjustable space in them. (disclaimer: I'm only 6')

Good luck to you. That said, the suggestion for racing seats may be much easier and work well. Just swap them out for daily driving.
    "Cam"

2009 Ultrasonic Blue Mica/Alpine White ISF
    1998 Nassau Blue/Grey C5 Corvette 6spd Sold
    2003 Imola Red/Alcantara 330i ZHP 6spd Sold
    2002 TiAg/Black M3 6spd Sold

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying
    How tall are you? I'm 6'6" and I don't find it that bad...
    In the market for an E90 M3

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast