Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

BMW E46 3 Series improved expansion tank - Cooling System Maintenance

Per Turner Motor Sports:

BEHR has updated the expansion tank version to have better quality (~2 years ago). They simply thickened the plastic walls to help prevent cracking.

These expansion tanks last much longer.

This should be a key bit of knowledge when shopping around for a rebuild kit or individual tank.

Thanks to Keith (kayger12) for digging up the email and confirmation on this.

Quote Originally Posted by kayger12 View Post
    Part numbers we have (from Turner)

Part #: 17117573781 This is the most recent expansion tank design from Hella-Behr, the OEM supplier to BMW. It replaces the original BMW part number 17137787039.
    Sent from my S4 > Mason, OH
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Now I just wish there was an easy way to determine who has the new vs the old. Lots of reports on line of people getting well over 100k miles out of the OE tank.

I also found a good number of low mileage failures with respect to non-OEM tanks.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Was looking to see if these kits had the Behr:

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330...Kit/ES2063861/

Didn't say. Even the write up says you'll need to do this rebuild every 80k miles.

Sent from my S4 > Mason, OH
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Can you shoot one of your contacts at ECS an email and see if they can clarify?
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

good info
    - Stuart

/_________\
    OO=[][]=OO

So as per the info in Dane's post, can we assume that the kit sold by Turner would include this better quality expansion tank? I'm feeling like I should do a huge maintenance hit and the cooling system is on my radar.
    2011 E90 Lemans Blue/Bamboo Beige M3- Harrop Supercharged IG: lmb_zcp
    2013 F25 Alpine White/Chestnut X3 35i- Family Hauler
    2006 R53 British Racing Green/Panther Black Mini Cooper S FOR SALE! DM for details!
    Past: 2010 X5M, 2014 328d, 2003 330i ZHP, 2004 330i ZHP, 2012 X3 35i
    WTB!! 2009-2012 E91 328i Touring Contact me with info!

I'm about ready to do the cooling system refresh. Good to know, thanks Dane.
    2003 Mystic Blue 330i ZHP 6 MT

born in germany | delivered to baltimore | spent time in texas | resides in utah
    aFe ProDry S Air Filter | Dinan Stage 1 Software | H&R 27mm Front Sway Bar
    Bridgestone RE760 | StopTech Street Performance Pads
    BMW OEM Clear Corners & Side Markers | Ziza LED Light Kit | AL Bi-Xenon Retrofit | BSW Soundplicity iPod Integration

Great info. 72k on my OE tank, and it looks perfect. But it'll be time to go soon enough.
    In the market for an E90 M3

Just did the cooling system on the 325i...it had an OEM Expansion tank...still had the barcode sticker on it. The entire side cracked from top to bottom. The OEM replacement seemed identical...

Autozone.com
    Interesting. I wonder how much thicker it actually is. From an engineering standpoint, it would mean that there were some significant changes to the dimensions of the tank. It would have to be bigger overall (maybe someone can measure it?). Now, if they kept the dimensions the same (which would be odd), the volume capacity would be forced to shrink with the thicker walls... Meaning that the max coolant level bobber would have to be adjusted a bit... Complicating the situation a bit more.
    Fuelly

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast