Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

What am I doing wrong?

Hi guys. I wanted your opinion on my car ad. I have gone through multiple ads trying to get attention/interest in the vehicle and did not understand how difficult it would be to sell a car. What am I doing wrong?

Here is my local ad.
    http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...CA)-14-500-OBO

Craigslist:
    http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/4184295167.html

I originally thought I might be providing too much data and scaring away buyers. I had listed all maintenance items that were taken care of and offering carfax, maintenance files, tons of photos, blemish areas trying to be the most transparent in the car sale as possible. I have remained transparent because I'm not out to screw anyone, but I've changed my strategy to offer only limited details about the car in the ad in hopes I don't scare away buyers.

I just changed my ad to say I'm firm at my price and willing to negotiate without mods so it will get the potential buyer thinking before chopping the price down 4-5k.

What am I doing wrong?

Selling a car is weird, at least in my experience. You won't have a single response for two weeks, and then all of a sudden a random person will be interested.

Your ad looks great though. If you think the firm price is scaring people away, you might consider artificially upping it a bit, with the expectation of negotiating it down back to where you started. Makes people feel like they got a deal. (Or maybe that's what you already tried?)

Either way, good luck!

Sent from my iPhone

Maybe cuz it's an auto? Most people on CL are looking for a lowball ignorant deal so this is not in their ball park and most enthusiasts tend to shy away from auto.

Just my 2 cents. I would buy the shit outta that car if the auto trannies weren't failure prone. I originally wanted an auto cuz I was tired of shifting but I decided on MT due to the horror stories of autos.

18x8 CSL Wheels / Trunk Lip Spoiler / Painted rear bumper trim / Painted reflectors / Clear corners / Black headlight trim / USA Spec / LED tails / 25% tint
    LED license plate lights / Rockord Fosgate upgraded speakers / Kicker Hideaway 8" subwoofer

I think it's because you don't really want to sell it and the gods' have your back...don't piss off the gods.

1971 2002 - 1980 528i -
    1986 535is
    2002 M5 - 2006 330ci - 2006 X3 M-Sport 6MT
    Sort of gave my ZHP to my wife, which enabled me to buy an e39 M5. I won, twice.

Quote Originally Posted by toddness View Post
    I think it's because you don't really want to sell it and the gods' have your back...don't piss off the gods.
    That.

Sent from my iPhone

Just be patient. The CL ad looks good.

I listed mine and got a lot of flakey buyers then ended up selling mine to Matt through the guy who I bought my current car from. Tell your friends that you car is for sale and maybe one of their friends are looking for one!
    -Chris-

2003 ZHP Sedan - Jet Black on Sand - SOLD

CL has lowbrow clientele.. you should absolutely put it on autotrader.com and perhaps cars.com as well (AT is #1, if you only do one, that's the first choice). If you have a clean CarFax, pay the fee to let prospective buyers pull up the report for free. The up-charge isn't bad and if you have a positive report, it's worth flaunting, IMHO. GLWS!

'21 M2 Competition
    '08 Z4 M Coupé
    '19 Golf R

Honestly man, and I hate to say this, but here's the biggest issue. The ZHP is getting old. Its probably nothing against your car or your ad, but its just the market. The enthusiasts that want an E46 are buying M3s (look at the recent trend on here lately!). Otherwise, people are moving into newer platforms.

I had roughly the same issue with my car. Granted, I had my car priced higher than 99% of other ZHPs, but still, it was about as clean and rare a ZHP you can find. I will say, your car has the AT thing against it, but still, if its priced right, it should sell.

As for Craigslist, don't plan on getting ANY good response from it. Use it simply as a tool to get visibility. Your best bet is to blow up the forums, post the car on EVERY BMW forum there is. Also, if you are a CCA member, post it there. I got the most and best response from the CCA classifieds...

Either way, good luck.
    2011 E90 Lemans Blue/Bamboo Beige M3- Harrop Supercharged IG: lmb_zcp
    2013 F25 Alpine White/Chestnut X3 35i- Family Hauler
    2006 R53 British Racing Green/Panther Black Mini Cooper S FOR SALE! DM for details!
    Past: 2010 X5M, 2014 328d, 2003 330i ZHP, 2004 330i ZHP, 2012 X3 35i
    WTB!! 2009-2012 E91 328i Touring Contact me with info!

Quote Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
    CL has lowbrow clientele.. you should absolutely put it on autotrader.com and perhaps cars.com as well (AT is #1, if you only do one, that's the first choice). If you have a clean CarFax, pay the fee to let prospective buyers pull up the report for free. The up-charge isn't bad and if you have a positive report, it's worth flaunting, IMHO. GLWS!
    I agree with this and with Joop's comments. I do think AT is a detractor for many, but there are some of us who want it due to physical issues or traffic, etc. (despite the rumors of maintenance issues).

Another free source: http://www.zhpregistry.net/forsale/

BTW, CL listing is dead. Assume you removed it.

Also, the moderators never updated your title with the lower price on this site.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast