Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenkirsh View Post
    How does it impact fuel mileage?
    Runs richer in an attempt to warm up the engine, I believe.
    In the market for an E90 M3

Makes sense. Would also explain my abysmal mileage around town… but then again, that just might be a crappy trafficy town with a bigger engine and shorter geared diff compared to my 325.

I get about 16-17mpg around town driving very conservatively.

His: 05 330 ZHP Imola Red - 07 Z4 M Coupe Imola Red
    Hers: 04 330i ZSP
    2004 325 M56 Steel Blue Metallic - Sold
    Stephen's DD & AutoX/HPDE Build Thread
    Stewart WP - Z4M LCAB - M3 trans/motor mounts - DICE MediageBridge Duo - ARC-8 17x8.5"
    DrVANOS - Mason Engineering Race Strut Bar - E30 Exp. Cap - Custom Black+Beige Interior - M3 Seats
    Bilstein PSS10 - Turner Sway Bars 27/21 - ECST RTAB Limiters - R.E. RSM

If you're gonna change the expansion tank, make sure to change the mounting plate, upper and lower hoses at the same time. Honestly, full coolant system is the way to go so you don't have to go back for WP and radiator

When I had my PPI done before purchase, about 2 months ago, they said the pump looked fairly new. I know the belt looks brand new. Pullies look good.

Maybe they just didn't do the thermostat?

My dad knows a BMW tech, and he's actually coming to do some work on our cars this weekend at my parents' home. I'll work w/ him to see what all needs to be done.

Stewart WP - Z4M LCAB - M3 trans/motor mounts - DICE MediageBridge Duo - ARC-8 17x8.5"
    DrVANOS - Mason Engineering Race Strut Bar - E30 Exp. Cap - Custom Black+Beige Interior - M3 Seats

FYI, you can enter into a diagnostic mode on your instrument cluster and get a coolant temperature readout to confirm your suspicions.

Press and hold the odometer reset stalk (the odometer will zero out immediately, but don't worry; as long as you don't let go, the numbers will restore later) until you see the display change to 'Test 01' or similar. After letting it go, repeatedly click the stalk until the number increments to test 19. At this point, wait a beat and you'll see the display toggle between 'on' and 'off' repeatedly. Press the stalk once more when the display says 'off'. You have now unlocked all test access and are back at Test 01. Click the stalk again until you're up to test 7, and wait. You are now in the first of four subsets of Test 7, which is the one you want. It displays current coolant temperature in °C.

My car has a stuck-open thermostat as well, and it takes a fair amount of work to get it up to temperature. These cars usually run around 97°C; mine sits at around 77-84 depending on how fast I'm moving. Just so you know, though, a stuck thermostat alone is not enough to account for fuel mileage as poor as yours. I'm still pulling 21 in the city despite mine. For starters, check your intake boot for tears, and your air filter for cleanliness.

Zebra Horse Power - PSA: The Hypermiling Thread
    Kevin Savino-Riker
    Cogito Automation, LLC.
    I'm new at BMWs.

thanks for the tip.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12