Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is it safe to temporarily seal my windshield leak?

The other night I drove home to my parent's house to get some work done on my car (diff fluid changed (my dad knows a BMW tech who makes "house calls") ). It was raining. Lots of rain came in at one point and I was able to pin point the leak. It's the windshield. It was dripping from the windshield down to the floor.

There's a gap/hole at the very tip top corner on the driver's side. When I got home, I had my dad spray the hose on it at low pressure and quite a bit came through.

So... I'm looking to do a short term fix for now.
    1.) Can I use the same type of sealant that people use to seal off the door vapor barrier? (Some type of sealant from AutoZone for $7)
    2.) If I do this, would it cause problems for when it's time to replace the windshield and/or correctly seal the existing windshield?

His: 05 330 ZHP Imola Red - 07 Z4 M Coupe Imola Red
    Hers: 04 330i ZSP
    2004 325 M56 Steel Blue Metallic - Sold
    Stephen's DD & AutoX/HPDE Build Thread
    Stewart WP - Z4M LCAB - M3 trans/motor mounts - DICE MediageBridge Duo - ARC-8 17x8.5"
    DrVANOS - Mason Engineering Race Strut Bar - E30 Exp. Cap - Custom Black+Beige Interior - M3 Seats
    Bilstein PSS10 - Turner Sway Bars 27/21 - ECST RTAB Limiters - R.E. RSM

Just use a thin coat of non hardening silicone.

It's not a toy, it's a Droid > Sent from my S4 > Mason, OH
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

^this is what I used on the e21 windshield before I had it replaced

Noob/dumb question: How do I know what's non hardening? Would it say on the packaging/Would an AutoZone dummy know what that means?

Stewart WP - Z4M LCAB - M3 trans/motor mounts - DICE MediageBridge Duo - ARC-8 17x8.5"
    DrVANOS - Mason Engineering Race Strut Bar - E30 Exp. Cap - Custom Black+Beige Interior - M3 Seats

Yes. It says it.

Yes, they will know.

It's not a toy, it's a Droid > Sent from my S4 > Mason, OH
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Thread revival.

So I still have a leak, and it's coming from a different location than the windshield.

I was thinking one of the ways I could narrow it down was to temporarily plug the sunroof drain on the front driver side.

Any issue with that? There's still 3 other drains, right?

Quote Originally Posted by stephenkirsh View Post
    Thread revival.

So I still have a leak, and it's coming from a different location than the windshield.

I was thinking one of the ways I could narrow it down was to temporarily plug the sunroof drain on the front driver side.

Bump, please help. We have rain still scheduled for next week and today/tomorrow are my only two days to attempt to test this.

I honestly don't know. Sorry.
    In the market for an E90 M3

I went looking for my sunroof drain holes a few months ago and I only found two drain holes, at the front of the sunroof frame area. Not sure if there are only two drain holes or if i just couldn't see the rear drain holes because sunroof was in the way. I have a 2003 sedan.
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenkirsh View Post

Think it'd be safe to plug one?

-------
    Also, I was looking at the front lower windshield cowl and there's a few perpendicular cracks on the driver's side. Could this be the source?
    http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330...483/ES2083242/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast