Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Venting the Battery is Optional, Right?

I had planned on replacing my battery next month. I've owned the car for a little over three years now and figured it was safe to assume that it had been in there a bit before I bought her.

Yesterday I went to start her after she had sat for a few days and she cranked noticeably weaker than usual.

Not being one to push my luck, I moved up my planned replacement and made a quick run to Advanced Auto for a battery.

This morning I headed out to the garage to switch them out. I pulled the old battery out and found to my surprise that the PO never hooked up the vent hose. The hose was laying off to the side of the battery and the elbow connector was still inside the sealed plastic pouch still taped to the side of the 3+ year old battery.

The new battery is now properly installed. Can't make this stuff up.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Doesn't surprise me in the least.
    2006 CiC 6MT
    ZHP, Cold Weather, Xenon
    Sapphire Black / Black Leather / Black Cube

Changing the oil is optional too right?
    2006 CiC 6MT
    ZHP, Cold Weather, Xenon
    Sapphire Black / Black Leather / Black Cube

Maybe the PO didn't care because he was selling the car soon ?

Good thing you found it. I guess it proves that not venting it isn't the worst thing in the world? (Not that I'd recommend it).
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Quote Originally Posted by wsmeyer View Post
    I hear it is on leased vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by fredo View Post
    Maybe the PO didn't care because he was selling the car soon ?
    Tough to tell. I bought it from a dealer. Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
    Good thing you found it. I guess it proves that not venting it isn't the worst thing in the world? (Not that I'd recommend it).
    I guess not. I was venting into the trunk well for 3 years. Probably had a little mini Hindenburg going on back there at times.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Quote Originally Posted by wsmeyer View Post
    The vent hose has never been hooked up in either BMW I've owned.

It will hurt nothing KG.

It's not a toy, it's a Droid > Sent from my S4 > Mason, OH
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    The vent hose has never been hooked up in either BMW I've owned.

It will hurt nothing KG.

Any insight you wish to offer? I always assumed they designed it that way for a reason. Overly cautious on their part?
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

Quote Originally Posted by kayger12 View Post
    Any insight you wish to offer? I always assumed they designed it that way for a reason. Overly cautious on their part?
    I have no insight on this, other than the fact zero cars I have owned ever had a vent hose connected.

Honestly, I just don't think it matters.
    Like you said, I think it's a "CYA" item.

Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Autozone.com
    Roger that.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast