Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    So after some quick research, it appears that it is a safety measure most necessary if there is a malfunction with the charging system.

Under normal conditions, it doesn't appear to be an issue.

I also read that the vented gases can be corrosive to steel (exposure >30 years) so only an issue if you plan on keeping the car until we're 80... which I do

Quote Originally Posted by Dave R. 91 35i, 71 02 View Post
    It's a safety thing to prevent gas build-up inside the car which could cause an explosion. It has happened when someone installed a new battery without connecting the vent tube. I saw a 7 series that had a battery explosion under the back seat. Car was a mess and luckily nobody was sitting back there. Some folks have even noticed a peculiar smell without the vent tube. I've been told that under normal conditions when the battery/charging system is functioning properly there should be no problem. But!!! if something goes wrong and the vent is not there - look out!! The batteries that are designed for this model come with a venting port that requires a small 1/4 inch hose to be attached and vented to the outside. For example for installations in closed areas, Interstate Batteries will supply a free kit for attaching the port to the venting tube. Not sure if all their batteries have this port or not. I would recommend some type of venting system for safety reasons.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Thx for the update. Yup, I'm def. Keeping mine as long as possible. I've had my Triumph for 20 years.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Always wondered about this. Last car did not have it connected, neither does this one.

Quote Originally Posted by kayger12 View Post
    I also read that the vented gases can be corrosive to steel (exposure >30 years) so only an issue if you plan on keeping the car until we're 80... which I do
    I think this is the main reason imo, both of my e30's had huge rusted through holes under the battery through the bottom rear of the lower valance. I have noticed that is a very common spot on those cars and I really believe its from the vent tubes not being hooked up, and the e30's are less than 30 and have had holes for at least ten years. This is the main reason I always buy a sealed battery unless the vehicle has the battery mounted in the engine compartment. I would highly recommend having the vent tube hooked up. I can show you pics of what I'm referring to if your curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnmadd View Post
    I think this is the main reason imo, both of my e30's had huge rusted through holes under the battery through the bottom rear of the lower valance. I have noticed that is a very common spot on those cars and I really believe its from the vent tubes not being hooked up, and the e30's are less than 30 and have had holes for at least ten years. This is the main reason I always buy a sealed battery unless the vehicle has the battery mounted in the engine compartment. I would highly recommend having the vent tube hooked up. I can show you pics of what I'm referring to if your curious.
    Great info, John.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

My current car does not have a vent tube either. Aftermarket battery.

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Quote Originally Posted by kayger12 View Post
    I had planned on replacing my battery next month. I've owned the car for a little over three years now and figured it was safe to assume that it had been in there a bit before I bought her.

Yesterday I went to start her after she had sat for a few days and she cranked noticeably weaker than usual.

Not being one to push my luck, I moved up my planned replacement and made a quick run to Advanced Auto for a battery.

This morning I headed out to the garage to switch them out. I pulled the old battery out and found to my surprise that the PO never hooked up the vent hose. The hose was laying off to the side of the battery and the elbow connector was still inside the sealed plastic pouch still taped to the side of the 3+ year old battery.

The new battery is now properly installed. Can't make this stuff up.
    I experienced the same thing when I replaced the battery on my ex ZHP. I was actually perplexed and looked it over for a while as I conjectured it must have been damaged. However, it just wasn't hooked up.

Replaced my OE BMW battery today and the numbskulls who did it (it was the 2nd battery in the car from 2012) didn't connect the vent tube! It was just dangling there at the bottom of the battery well. And the EXIDE battery did have a vent port to connect to.

The battery I put in was a Costco Interstate battery. Was the cheapest I could find and a 42 month full replacement warranty. Looked at Autozone/Duralast and EXIDE and OE BMW and all of them were more expensive. Costco's customer service is superb, so decided to save money and if anything goes wrong in 3.5 years, I know Costco will just give me a new one.
    2004 330i E46 with ZHP performance package and cold weather package

Quote Originally Posted by dpark View Post
    Replaced my OE BMW battery today and the numbskulls who did it (it was the 2nd battery in the car from 2012) didn't connect the vent tube! It was just dangling there at the bottom of the battery well. And the EXIDE battery did have a vent port to connect to.

The battery I put in was a Costco Interstate battery. Was the cheapest I could find and a 42 month full replacement warranty. Looked at Autozone/Duralast and EXIDE and OE BMW and all of them were more expensive. Costco's customer service is superb, so decided to save money and if anything goes wrong in 3.5 years, I know Costco will just give me a new one.
    That sucks man. Even when you get new batteries these days they don't often sell or include any parts to vent the battery which blows my mind. I had to replace my battery early in the year and I went with the H8-DLG which is so far a fantastic battery. If it's half as good as the 49-DL (R.I.P. in pepperoni) it will be just fine
    2005 Jet Black 6MT ZHP "Family First"
    ~Rob~

Autozone.com
    I've never vented my battery. I always got really nervous about that fact, but I think I'm on my 3rd battery IIRC - never vented any of them and haven't had issues.
    I don't even have any of the hardware to vent them, even if I wanted to.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast