Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I have heard of similar issues with high mileage cars. My MB Indie told me I should switch to dino oil in my C55 - he recommends dino oil for high mileage MB. I work in the Pulp and Paper industry and we have some gearboxes that are ancient - over 40 years old still running. My maintenance mechanics refused to change the oil in those ancient gear boxes - they just kept them topped off with oil. Urban legend at the plant was that if you changed the oil, you washed out the crud that was keeping the ancient gearboxes "sealed" and they leaked like sieves and then soon failed. May be legend but those ancient gearboxes are still running. I wonder if synthetic oil does the same thing with car engines (and transmissions).
    I have read that on older cars it could possibly cause this due to the build up of gunk that gets flushed out that was previously "sealing" holes and leaks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP A08
    Dinan Stage 1
    ~ Garry Murphy

Quote Originally Posted by STREETFIGHTER50 View Post
    For me Shell Rotella T6 is going in at 85k
    Quote Originally Posted by brewer90 View Post
    That's what I'm running.
    Awesome, thats the 5w40 Diesel oil, yes? I run this in the mkiv TDI and thought about running in it in the E46 as well.

For me Shell Rotella T6 is going in at 85k
    Why?

I don't believe that oil is on the LL-01 approved list. Besides, I think these engines work better when cold if they have a 0w-XX oil.

Unless you're getting oil analysis done, the whole this one is better than that one stuff is pretty much meaningless conjecture.

I've always run the BMW oil with great results as shown through multiple Blackstone reports.

Never saw the need to try anything else, but if I did it would certainly be an LL-01.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Still waiting for evidence that there is a better deal than M1 0W-40. That's what'll go into my engine for now.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
    In the market for an E90 M3

Quote Originally Posted by Johal E32 View Post
    Awesome, thats the 5w40 Diesel oil, yes? I run this in the mkiv TDI and thought about running in it in the E46 as well.
    Yes it is diesel oil, but don't let that deter u from trying it out. It's fine for our gasoline engines. Alot of good results on several different vehicles. I've ran this oil even on my motorcycles. Almost every liter bike Ive had. 2 Yamaha R1s, 2 Kawasaki ZX10Rs & a Suzuki GSXR 1000. Several tached out 12k+ rpm blasts on the Kawasaki ZX10R with no issues whatsoever on all the bikes. I run it in my 500RW '89 Mustang now & previous as well. Awesome oil IMO & can be bought for cheap at the local Walmart... Bob is the oil guy & Blackstone are your friend ;-)

Yes it is diesel oil, but don't let that deter u from trying it out. It's fine for our gasoline engines. Alot of good results on several different vehicles. I've ran this oil even on my motorcycles. Almost every liter bike Ive had. 2 Yamaha R1s, 2 Kawasaki ZX10Rs & a Suzuki GSXR 1000. Several tached out 12k+ rpm blasts on the Kawasaki ZX10R with no issues whatsoever on all the bikes. I run it in my 500RW '89 Mustang now & previous as well. Awesome oil IMO & can be bought for cheap at the local Walmart... Bob is the oil guy & Blackstone are your friend ;-)
    I would be interested in seeing the Blackstone Lab report for this oil used in M54. Can you post up?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Use FRESH oil. The rest is arbitrary. Everyone thinks theirs is the best and I have no problem with that. Personally, my oil consumption issues have led me to do a TON of reading on the subject. This can get pretty confusing as the "oil geeks" don't speak laymens terms.

What I know is that my car really seems to like Penzoil Euro 5w40. And why wouldn't it? It is the most expensive oil at the parts store. My car enjoys keeping me poor.

Up until recently, I spent more per month on oil than I did on gas. YIKES!

Check out my youtube channel for all kinds of E46 DIY's
    http://www.youtube.com/user/flipfinish?feature=mhee
    Check out my BMW Blog
    http://smolckbmw.blogspot.com/
    Follow me on twitter @smolck

Quote Originally Posted by Smolck View Post
    What I know is that my car really seems to like Penzoil Euro 5w40. And why wouldn't it? It is the most expensive oil at the parts store. My car enjoys keeping me poor.

Up until recently, I spent more per month on oil than I did on gas. YIKES!
    I rarely buy oil at the parts store. Even though I do not enjoy shopping at Walmart, it does seem to be the best place to buy oil. You can get 5 qt jugs of M1 0w-40 for $25 and that's the regular non sale price.

Autozone.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave1027 View Post
    I rarely buy oil at the parts store. Even though I do not enjoy shopping at Walmart, it does seem to be the best place to buy oil. You can get 5 qt jugs of M1 0w-40 for $25 and that's the regular non sale price.
    100% agree. But Walmart doesn't carry Penzoil Euro Formula. Wish they did.

Check out my youtube channel for all kinds of E46 DIY's
    http://www.youtube.com/user/flipfinish?feature=mhee
    Check out my BMW Blog
    http://smolckbmw.blogspot.com/
    Follow me on twitter @smolck

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast