Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Engine Removal

Engine Removal

Going to start the process of pulling the engine from my parts car. I could probably figure it out as I go, but, considering that I'll be on my back against cold concrete for a lot of the time, I'd like to know what to do before I go in.

Can anybody write out the steps to removing the engine with transmission as one piece from the car? Just a list of things that need to be done and anything I need to know ahead of time.

Thanks.
    In the market for an E90 M3

Engine Removal

Make sure to disconnect the exhaust manifold, it's impossible to get it out with the rear 3 still installed

Oh wait, you wanna take them out together? We did it with the trans removed...

Take the core support off, that will help big time, drop the subframe and lift the front end of the car. Let the subframe w/engine go down to the floor. Roll car back and support frame rails

Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    Make sure to disconnect the exhaust manifold, it's impossible to get it out with the rear 3 still installed

Oh wait, you wanna take them out together? We did it with the trans removed...

Take the core support off, that will help big time, drop the subframe and lift the front end of the car. Let the subframe w/engine go down to the floor. Roll car back and support frame rails
    I need to pull it from the top. Lower suspension is all mangled from the accident.
    In the market for an E90 M3

Well definitely take the core support off so you can pull it out straight. I recommend disconnecting the trans from the engine but that is up to you

Core support should be held to fenders and frame rail, easy to remove (the two things in the left bottom of the attached diagram)

edit:
    take all this off

edit2:
    make your car look like this
    Last edited by Hermes; 12-30-2013 at 03:18 PM.

Now THAT'S an awesome picture.
    ------
    A Venza just isn't the same as a ZHP.

Seeing an angle grinder in the picture scares me!

Engine Removal

Quote Originally Posted by LivesNearCostco View Post
    Seeing an angle grinder in the picture scares me!
    Dario shouldn't need it. I have a feeling the guy who posted that pic I found was an idiot and doesn't understand how to take things apart correctly

Edit: that pic is an E36, but you get the idea
    Last edited by Hermes; 12-30-2013 at 04:17 PM.

It's funny looking at that picture because you can see the broken hammer by the angle grinder. The guy probably tried using that hammer until the head snapped off, hence the angle grinder...

I would remove the engine and trans as one piece.

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

If you pull it straight out, then yes you can leave everything installed. I'm just saying that if you are to lift and remove by trying to clear the core support it's a huge PITA with the exhaust and trans installed (if you can even manage to do it).

We did it with 3 guys, trans removed already, and about 30 minutes of yelling at the car before we decided to remove the exhaust. After that point it took 30 seconds. I can't imagine how long it would take (if even possible) without those items removed. You hit both the trans tunnel and subframe when you try to lift/angle it up, so something has to go

edit: Dario, make sure to purge the AC system before you start taking core support stuff apart

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast