Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

BMW E46 Steering Wheel Removal/Install doityourself

The caveat here is that I have not done this myself yet. This info is taken from several sources. Torques and procedure were confirmed with my Bentley manual.

Those of you who have done this, feel free to jump in with any hints or advice.

PROCEDURE

1. Center steering wheel and make sure front wheels are pointed straight.

2. Disconnect negative cable from battery.

3.***WAIT AT LEAST 1 MINUTE AFTER DISCONNECTING BATTERY BEFORE WORKING ON THE AIRBAG***

FOR SPORT STEERING WHEEL:

4. Insert screwdriver through opening in rear of steering wheel and push against spring tension to release airbag unit lock.

Repeat procedure on other side of steering wheel.

FOR MULTIFUNCTION STEERING WHEEL:

4. Loosen (2) Torx T30 screws behind steering wheel while holding airbag in place.

5. Lift airbag off of wheel and disconnect harness connector.

6. Remove steering wheel center bolt.

7. Confirm steering column and steering wheel match marks (arrow below) and remove.

Store airbag horn side up.

REINSTALL

1. Align steering wheel and column match marks.

2. Align steering wheel to alignment pins on steering column switch block.

3. Reinstall steering wheel center bolt. Torque to 46 ft-lbs.

4. Reinstall airbag. Reconnect electrical harness connector.

5. Torque airbag T30s to 8nm or 71 INCH lbs.

Edit: Another thing you might notice while paying close attention to your steering wheel is that it does not seem to be parallel to your chest/seat while you sit in the car. It might seem that the right side of the wheel is just a little closer to you than the left side of the wheel.

This is because........ the wheel actually is mounted that way. After taking measurements from several e46s on this site, we were able to confirm that the steering wheel is in fact canted slightly with the right side of the wheel approximately 1" closer to the driver than the left side.

It is a small enough distance that you won't really notice it unless you are really looking for it, but if you should notice it, take comfort in the fact that it's completely normal.

For reference, other DIYs:
    http://www.bmw330ci.net/projects/m3wheel.php
    http://www.my330i.com/mod23.php#D

Also some good info here http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...by-Wheel/page3
    Last edited by kayger12; 03-06-2011 at 08:07 AM.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Damn...that does not look hard at all.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Pushing the lock spring is harder than you'd think. Took me half an hour the first time, now I can do it in a couple minutes. Oh, and definitely make sure the marks match when putting the wheel back on, my wheel is currently one off to the left .

My Project Thread
    Register Your ZHP | CoolantSnitch

2005 ZHP 6MT Mods: AFE Intake, Carbon Fiber Hood w/ M3 Bulge, Meyle HD FCAB's, Zionsville T-Stat @ 88°C, Stewart WP, BMW Perf. Rotors F+R, Oil Temp & Press. Gauges, Alcantara Wheel w/ CF Trim, Alum. Pedals + E-Brake, Black Kidney's, Aux Input, Beltronics RX-75 Pro Radar Detector, Beisan Seals + Rattle Kit, Armrest Delete, Schroth Harness, StopTech Pads, SSR Comp-H's

What does one off to the left mean? One what? Flat?
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

When I first got my car, my mechanic buddy (happens to hold several BMW certifications-yay) went to straighten my steering wheel and reset my sensor to zero, or centered, and I remember being amazed at how quick he got that wheel off. I was impressed at how easy it looked.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    Lance
    Autobahn South
    S/ASH
    My car finds your lack of faith disturbing

I iz not skeered anymoarz.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterC17 View Post
    Pushing the lock spring is harder than you'd think. Took me half an hour the first time, now I can do it in a couple minutes. Oh, and definitely make sure the marks match when putting the wheel back on, my wheel is currently one off to the left .
    Well then I got lucky. I had it popped off in 2 or 3 minutes, but like I said, I really wasn't expecting to find them that fast. I think it's all in finding the right angle to go in at. I'll try and remember to take some pics with a screwdriver in place showing the proper angle before I pop the bag back on. And I made sure when I parked it last fall that my steering wheel was perfectly straight so hopefully it shouldn't be a problem centering it again......hopefully.

Barry

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    I iz not skeered anymoarz.
    You shouldn't have any problems Dane. It helps being familiar with BMWs various connector lock tabs.

OK...Thanks Maico

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    What does one off to the left mean? One what? Flat?
    In this picture:

The wheel was not centered on and is one sprocket to the left. Somehow I messed it up, just haven't had time to fix it. Not too big a deal at the moment.

My Project Thread
    Register Your ZHP | CoolantSnitch

2005 ZHP 6MT Mods: AFE Intake, Carbon Fiber Hood w/ M3 Bulge, Meyle HD FCAB's, Zionsville T-Stat @ 88°C, Stewart WP, BMW Perf. Rotors F+R, Oil Temp & Press. Gauges, Alcantara Wheel w/ CF Trim, Alum. Pedals + E-Brake, Black Kidney's, Aux Input, Beltronics RX-75 Pro Radar Detector, Beisan Seals + Rattle Kit, Armrest Delete, Schroth Harness, StopTech Pads, SSR Comp-H's

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast