Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sketchy Winter Handling

I've tried searching for info on my issue but not seeing what I'm looking for here......

This is my first RWD car for winter up in Minneapolis, and our road conditions go from dry to snowy to blowing snow to black ice to slush to washboard to some mix of up to four of those conditions.

Last year my car was crap in the winter because I needed new FCABs. I would drive on a snowy road or even the dry tracks on a highway and my front end would seem to skate around underneath me. Wind made it worse and I was downright scared to drive my car. I told myself I would change the bushings and give it one more winter. Well, here is that winter, and so far I have had too many episodes of instability on the freeways that cause me to have to watch people in minivans with A/S tires whiz right by me. It is usually the worse at highway speeds, and it gets really bad when it's windy out...or breezy! The road it cold as it's below zero here, there may be a dusting of snow like in my latest episodes, but the whole car just seems to make quick direction changes without me touching the wheel. The front wheels are the worst. i don't know how to explain it besides just saying that it seems like the car is not planted and there is a motor at each wheel driving each one at a different speed so the car just hunts all over the place.

My snow tires aren't terrible, but they are coming up on replacement for the front.....they are still not near the wear bars though, so I can't imagine its the tires. The dealer checked out my front end and said everything looks perfect. Brakes are good, though I didn't get an alignment after replacing the bushings...though the car doesn't really drift or pull either.

My rear snows are almost new but a little cupped inward in the middle (not sure how that happened). Either way, since I can't afford three cars I'm getting to the point where I feel I need to dump my ZHP even though I don't want to go down that road!

Is my last resort to get all four new snows, an alignment, and THEN make that the last test? I'm reading how everyone says this is a great RWD car for the winter but this has been the scariest car for me on the highways......and it's not fun!

Has anyone else felt this while driving their car on barely slippery roads and high speed?

Thanks for all your responses!

Bob

Hi Bob, sorry to hear of your trouble with winter handling. A couple questions:

1. Do you experience any tramlining when it is dry? (This would be the car getting pulled left & right with the grooves in the road, or variations in road surface).

2. Do you have a matched set of winter tires (same brand/style)? If not, I wonder if your traction control is trying to compensate for different traction between different winter tires.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

-Brettski

Brettski,

1. With both my winter and summer tire setups I do have tramlining. I know my front summers need replacement badly. However, the roads I drive on in the winter that are also highways are pretty darn flat. But I wouldn't rule that out.

2. I do have mixed fronts and rears for brands...that's how I bought them from the PO. My traction control doesn't flash when all of this swerving is going on though. I actually have my foot off the gas when it starts or just barely throttling it.

I'm starting to think I just need to replace all the tires and see if that fixes it.

I have problem 1. After I change my back rear tires ..mmmmmm

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

I would start with a new matched set of winter tires. Winter tires with the traction control should be a good combination.
    ~Will
    2004 Imola Red 330i
    6MT, Black Leather, Silver Cube, Cold Weather pkg, mostly Stock

Many winter tires become as efficient as all seasons (ie. Garbage) past 50% wear. We got 3 ft of snow up here already and with 17" 225/45 blizzaks I feel very safe in my car. And I had only driven AWD Subarus before buying it. I think your first call would be to replace the tires on all 4 corners.

iP4S + TT2
    Alex'16 Melbourne Red 328d Touring
    M Sport + M Performance Package

Gone, but not forgotten: '03 Imola Red 330i ZHP - 6MT

I think you have a suspension or other kind of bushing issue. Your tires should not be cupping with good bushings and good alignment. You must fix that first before trying new tires.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    I think you have a suspension or other kind of bushing issue. Your tires should not be cupping with good bushings and good alignment. You must fix that first before trying new tires.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
    My thought initially as well, but the dealer said everything checked out ok with the front end.

RTABs could certainly be an issue in the back, but that shouldn't cause the problem he's describing.

Cupping in the middle sounds inflation related.

Sounds like your tires aren't playing well with each other. I'd go new all the way around and closely monitor for even wear.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

How much camber is on the car? I've known guys that ride with a fair amount of camber to have issues on snowy and wet roads

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3

Mods: Smoked corners, smoked side markers, smoked tails, 35% tint, CF kidney grills, debadged, angel eyes, 3000k HID Fogs, OBX exhaust, Sharked, solo werks S1 coilovers, front and rear strut brace, AUX cable
    "I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone built it for me"

yeah get a GOOD set of winters. Blizzaks or Dunlops come highly recommended. RTABs could be the cause of a squirrel ride as well. Remember you're being pushed from the back and not dragging the rear end. If your thrust angle is inconsistent from mushy RTABs you'll feel the back end come out very easily.
    Call me Seth
    CURRENT: 2016 Long Beach Blue BMW /// M2
    RETIRED: ‘15 F22 M235i | '08 E90 M3 DCT "GoinHAM3" | '04 E46 M3 6MT "WEGOHAM"
    '04 330i ZHP | '11 E82 135i | '08 E90 328xi | 07 E91 328xi SportWagon

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    If I wore panties, I'd be dropping them right now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast