Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Hybrid View

Help, I need some insight from you guys.

Every time i start my car, I smell gas or burning oil in the cabin. I think it could be a VCG issue but I am not sure.

Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance.

-Daniel
    OEM BMW Performance (Missing cams and seats)
    LEVEL ONE // Euro Techniks
    Auto -> 6 Speed complete

If you're smelling it as soon as you start the car, it's not likely to be burning oil-- nothing is hot yet.

Take a look at the passenger side rear of the motor and find the heat shield that covers the manifold. Look for leaking oil there. If you have a vcg leak you'll likely have oil there. It will look like this.

-Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Quote Originally Posted by kayger12 View Post
    If you're smelling it as soon as you start the car, it's not likely to be burning oil-- nothing is hot yet.

Take a look at the passenger side rear of the motor and find the heat shield that covers the manifold. Look for leaking oil there. If you have a vcg leak you'll likely have oil there. It will look like this.

Thanks for the quick reply, so if I find this problem, then it's the VCG right?

-Daniel
    Auto -> 6 Speed complete

Quote Originally Posted by kakashi169 View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply, so if I find this problem, then it's the VCG right?
    If you find that than the vcg is a problem. Might not be the problem that's causing the odor when you start it up.

Certainly a common issue with our cars, though.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Quote Originally Posted by kayger12 View Post
    If you find that than the vcg is a problem. Might not be the problem that's causing the odor when you start it up.

Certainly a common issue with our cars, though.
    The odor being a common problem? Blah, I'll check in a bit. Thanks.

-Daniel
    Auto -> 6 Speed complete

Quote Originally Posted by kakashi169 View Post
    The odor being a common problem? Blah, I'll check in a bit. Thanks.
    vcg leak being the common problem.

Welcome. Let us know what you find.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

What's your mileage? Exhaust leak could give you a gas-like smell on startup.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

If he's also getting gas smell, maybe fuel injector issue? When my VCG failed it only smelled of burning oil after fully warmed up.