Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Oil leak and Vaccum Leak: Help to diagnosis?

Did my regular self-check-up of the car today. I arrived back from vacation to notice that my oil was about 1L low. This is very concerning, as a week ago I swear it was full. This is just after a 600 mile trip. The car's been behaving quite normally and the exhaust during revs appears normal...

I had the car parked for 5 days and did not observe any drips or spills in the parking spot! I also looked around in the engine bay from above and could not find any oil leaks. It's bone dry. I do however have the lower splash guard panel still installed so maybe that's hiding it? I'll monitor it some more...

I thought it could be the CCV so I turned on the engine and opened up the oil cap to listen for any suction (no signs). I did notice that I have another problem though, a vacuum leak. It's very, very loud and it sounds like it's coming from the DISA on the driver's side.

Luckily I have my bro's E39 530i to compare to, we started that car up as well to compare and I definitely have a vacuum leak of sorts. I have no dash warning lights, and am just about to head back out into the frigid cold to run a scan for codes.

I am really new to this, so any help/tips would be much appreciated!

Thanks guys. Looks like 2014 isn't agreeing with my car.
    Fuelly

The splash guard is there for that - it can contain a large amount of oil before starting to pool on the driveway.

Keep in mind, if you're in a cold area, the oil could've thinned out. Proper check is 5 mins after turning off the engine after it has run for a while I think.

iP4S + TT2
    Alex'16 Melbourne Red 328d Touring
    M Sport + M Performance Package

Gone, but not forgotten: '03 Imola Red 330i ZHP - 6MT

Pull the disa and do the diaphram test. Maybe it's only the o-ring leaking. Still, I'd do the gas disa upgrade if the diaphram is still good. Also, for the oil burning look at Smolck's recent threads or just replace the CCV system. It could be the leak you are hearing is coming from a split CCV pipe.

Update:

No oil leak. I panicked a bit. Short story is that I measured it incorrectly right after shutting it down (no 15 min wait). The yellow low oil pressure light came on the dash and stayed there after I shut off the car causing my panic episode (since I've never had it do that). LOL. Never will I do that again. I measured it just now and all is well after 15 mins.

On the vacuum leak: The hissing does not immediately go away after I shut down the car. It lasts for maybe 5 secs then suddenly cuts off. Also it doesn't throw any codes. The car's clean.

I did repair the DISA using the GAS system last summer. Perhaps that had something to do with it...
    Fuelly

Check your intake boots too. Common source of vacuum leaks.

iP4S + TT2

Thanks will do. Also the car behaves completely normal - normal idle revs, normal driving, no stuttering. Just a abnormally loud hiss coming from around the DISA area.
    Fuelly

How is it when driving?

iP4S + TT2

No whistling noise (or anything abnormal) while driving. I can't hear it while I'm in the car with the windows rolled up. It's very noticeable with the hood open though.
    Fuelly

A smoke test may isolate it. You blow smoke into the intake and watch where it comes out.

Anyone find mechanic stethoscopes useful??? I am thinking of picking one up. I'm a firm believer of diagnosing the issue first rather than tearing everything apart to diagnosis it (it limits variables as well). Just my engineering practices getting the better of me.
    Fuelly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast