Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Car Died While Driving

Ok, so I understand it feels like -40 degrees but I had to eat lunch. I took the car out and drove it fine to my place of lunch and when it came time to leave the car started up fine. I let it idle for 15 seconds or so and started to proceed to the highway. I got about 1000 ft to an intersection and when I drove through the car seemed to lose it's breath. I quickly pushed in the clutch pedal and it went to idle but when I gave it gas and let out the clutch it just kept struggling to stay moving forward. And then when I turn the key everything lights up but as soon as I go to crank it I get one 'crank' and everything just stops. There's a buzzing sound that also turns off after it stops (fuel pump?).

Could it be my fuel pump if while I was giving it gas it wasn't going anywhere? I've never been stranded by a car and it sucks. I'm sure the -15 F air temp doesn't help.....I think my battery is a Duralast that is maybe four years old. Dealer can't look at it for at least 2 days so I have to find a rental as they were all out of cars. Ugh.

Any thoughts?

Fuel pump is my guess.

My guesses are batt or fuel pump in that order. Pull The Battery And Have It tested. Maybe you luck out and that's the problem. Any ses light or codes?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3

Mods: Smoked corners, smoked side markers, smoked tails, 35% tint, CF kidney grills, debadged, angel eyes, 3000k HID Fogs, OBX exhaust, Sharked, solo werks S1 coilovers, front and rear strut brace, AUX cable
    "I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone built it for me"

Quote Originally Posted by midlandtech View Post
    My guesses are batt or fuel pump in that order. Pull The Battery And Have It tested. Maybe you luck out and that's the problem. Any ses light or codes?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3
    This

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

How full was your tank? My neighbor had a chunk of ice the size of a watermelon stuck in her fuel tank - from condensation I suppose that froze over.
    Fuelly

I just filled up the tank at Costco last night, so it was almost full. I get no lights on the dash whatsoever. I do notice that when I turn the key the red on my coolant temp gauge lights up right before everything comes to a halt.

I was thinking fuel pump if it happened while I was applying the gas. Maybe between the fillup (it was at 1/8 or so when I filled it but since it's been so cold I've been staying home...its about 22 F in my garage). Now it's at the stealership and I hate having it there because if it's something I can replace I feel helpless and at their mercy.

If no lights are coming on in key position 1 or 2, then it's almost certainly a battery issue. Could be alternator or ignition related though as well.
    Fuelly

Quote Originally Posted by kayger12 View Post
    This

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    X3 on battery first and fuel pump/system second.

Anyone know at what temperature 93 octane begins to freeze? Perhaps it froze up in the fuel system, and the battery couldn't give you enough CCA power for a re-start. Regardless, hope you get her back soon!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

-Brettski

My guess is fuel pump. I don't think it's the battery because once the car starts it's all on the alternator.

Battery should be easy to check in this case. I would rule that one out first since it's so simple and then check the others.
    Fuelly

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast