Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ELCID86 View Post
    Thoughts on doing something like this vice the insulation? http://forum.secondskinaudio.com/ind...in-damplifier/
    They offer a hood kit http://store.secondskinaudio.com/hood-kit/

I know JP, at one time, offered to help out the "family" by trying to set up a buy for an interesting hood insulation and it would have been cheaper than this kit....from what I remember, it actually looked to be an awesome solution to the crappy OEM hood insulation we now have....

I am still interested in that aircraft material insulation that JP was trying to offer. I think the deal fell through though.

I had the BMWP bar on with a drooping insulation and I never had any scratches on my old bar when I sold it a year later.

Just remember the BMW insulation is designed to smother an engine fire should that occur. Now, I'm not sure how many people expect an engine fire but not sure that an aftermarket insulation could do that.
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Quote Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
    Just remember the BMW insulation is designed to smother an engine fire should that occur. Now, I'm not sure how many people expect an engine fire but not sure that an aftermarket insulation could do that.

The one JP was looking at was an Aircraft insulation that was design to smother as well if I recall. Its material was meant to smother fires too.

I pulled my insulation out completely, as it was saggy. The car sounds a bit better without it

Trouble is, BMW only primed the surface behind the insulation but didn't paint it--so it's not the prettiest sight but with AW, it might not stand out at all. It doesn't bother me one bit though.

I've seen trimmed OEM insulations and they have this "tampered with" look. But I suspect that over time, if not trimmed, the BMW Performance lettering might start to fade.
    Call me Giya (sounds just like Karmann Ghia) | '05 ZHP Coupé AT - Sparkling Graphite Metallic | Project thread

Wear Italian, Kiss French, Drink Russian, Drive German

All interesting feedback. Thanks guys. I'd prefer to leave it. With the fear of scratching the beautiful work of art, maybe I'll install some of the 3M clear bra material on the top end of it

Bill

Great idea.
    Call me Giya (sounds just like Karmann Ghia) | '05 ZHP Coupé AT - Sparkling Graphite Metallic | Project thread

Wear Italian, Kiss French, Drink Russian, Drive German

Quote Originally Posted by illirep View Post
    All interesting feedback. Thanks guys. I'd prefer to leave it. With the fear of scratching the beautiful work of art, maybe I'll install some of the 3M clear bra material on the top end of it

Bill
    That right there is the solution. Hopefully the material will stand up to the heat.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanister View Post
    I pulled my insulation out completely, as it was saggy. The car sounds a bit better without it

Trouble is, BMW only primed the surface behind the insulation but didn't paint it--so it's not the prettiest sight but with AW, it might not stand out at all. It doesn't bother me one bit though.

I've seen trimmed OEM insulations and they have this "tampered with" look. But I suspect that over time, if not trimmed, the BMW Performance lettering might start to fade.
    No problem.

I got a paint matched spray can and took care of it.

Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast