Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thermostat... and anything else

Good morning ladies and gents...

This morning, I started my car, left it running a few minutes to warm up. When I returned, the temp needle was at the red. I quickly turned the car off, and promptly email Dane for assistance. (Big props to the boss for helping me out first thing in the morning!) I let the engine cool as I searched the engine bay high and low for any fluids or any signs of anything malfunctioning. There were no signs of anything. At this point, Dane suggested that it sounded like the thermostat may have failed... got stuck... etc. After the engine cooled a bit, I checked the coolant level. Perfect. So, I started the car again and sat with it. Five minutes go by. Ten minutes go by. Temp is registering dead center. So, I rev the engine. Temp registers dead center. So... it seems that the boss' idea of thermostat is correct.

With all this said (here's your TLDR): Who wants to make a trip to the great city of Raleigh, NC? If like to stay with the thermostat and anything else in there you think we should get done while there (water pump?). I'm not great with a wrench, and frankly don't trust myself to do much of anything with a wrench. But, I'm damn good at making sure people have full stomachs and stay hydrated with whatever they like to stay hydrated with. On the other hand, I can make plans to travel to you if you would rather.

Anyone interested?
    Matt/Matthew/Belvin
    2003 ZHP Sedan, 6sp, Jet Black/Sand with Black Cube
    *Amber Army*

Its not too difficult of a job if you are just replacing the t-stat.

Here is a decent DIY if you decide to tackle this on your own.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=665860

Otherwise I am about 4 hours north in Virginia. Maybe there are members closer to your location that can help out.

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

You are right... it doesn't look horrible. And, if this was a secondary car, I'd try it myself. But, this is my DD so I don't know that I trust myself fully. Thus the post... If there are no takers, sure... I'll try it.
    Matt/Matthew/Belvin
    *Amber Army*

You could come to Williamsburg Virginia, but don't underestimate yourself, you can do this, it really is simple and the feeling you will have afterwards will give you confidence to maybe start doing more yourself.

OP, the website repairpal.com/estimator says the thermostat replacement (labor and parts) runs between $224 to $349 in my zip code. Not sure if you already asked for an estimate, so I'm sharing the info with you.

Keep in mind this could be due to an air pocket in the system - it's happened to me several times when the car sat for a while in very cold weather.

The air will get stuck in the radiator, and expand there because of the cold, and nothing will circulate until the car warms up/the motor runs at 2500+ rpm long enough to produce enough pressure to move it out. If the needle acts normal now, you most likely don't have a t-stat problem... They very rarely fail closed (never heard of it at least). Don't dismiss that, but explore the air pocket option too.
    Alex'16 Melbourne Red 328d Touring
    M Sport + M Performance Package

Gone, but not forgotten: '03 Imola Red 330i ZHP - 6MT

It's really not that bad. I did the whole cooling system on my old (sold) 330Ci. My first major shade-tree project. How many miles do you have? Water pump and pulleys might be in order. Just don't over tighten the bolts on the water pump if you do decide to replace it...

Happy to help if you need it, though I'm about 3.5 hours and I'm sure there are folks closer.

Thanks, everyone. Alexandre, I had not thought to look into an air pocket. I assume I can just bleed the system? Fredo, I had not looked into getting an estimate yet. Thank you for that. Shawn, you really over-estimate my abilities with a wrench, although I probably under-estimate it as well.

This is probably about the coldest this car has seen in its lifetime, so I am sure that is playing a role. I am going to keep a really close eye on it over the next couple of days, and then decide what to do.
    Matt/Matthew/Belvin
    *Amber Army*

I only see two shops with reviews in your area: http://www.bimmershops.com/search?q=Raleigh A starting point if you go that route (but I don't think you should).

I know of 4 shops here that are very good.

I'm leaning towards working on it myself... with a buddy of mine. But I haven't fully convinced myself yet.
    Matt/Matthew/Belvin
    *Amber Army*

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast