Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best Location for Donut Spare?

So I haven’t had my ZHP on a square set of wheels and tires—245/35ZR18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3s on 8" 135Ms—for even two weeks and this happens:

Only eleven days and 535 mi on the tires and no road hazard insurance … d’oh!

Anyways, since I have the same size wheel and tire at each corner, I wanted to ask the Family’s opinion on which wheel position would be best to install the donut until I can get a new tire. The flat occurred on the left rear, so that’s where it is now, but would there be any argument to putting it on the front axle instead? I thought that, since our rear tires wear faster than fronts, it might be smart to put the donut up front to reduce its wear. Or do you think it won’t matter much at all?

Alternatively, I do still have my set of winter wheels (205/55R16s). Would it be beneficial to put two of those up front and two good 245s at the rear, saving wear on my donut? Or maybe just drive on all four winters until I can get a new 245 (it has been kinda cold here recently … )?
    Last edited by Crickett; 12-11-2015 at 07:53 PM. Reason: img URL fix

Travis | ’04 ZHP sedan 6MT | WeĭssLĭcht AEs | BMW clears | Plasti-Dipped grilles | BMW Perf. intake | TMS Power Pulleys | DIY aux-in | !CDV
    Sprint Booster w/Sport button | Mich PS AS4 (245 sq) | M3 front sway | Z4M LCABs | Beisan VANOS rebuild | GAS DISA rebuild | BMW diag. PC

Best Location for Donut Spare?

Use your winters since you have a full set, forget the donut, keep your 18's in the garage until you buy a new tire or patch the current one

That sucks. Can you get it plugged? Sad day if not. I don't think it matters much if your just driving a few miles for a couple days.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    Use your winters since you have a full set, forget the donut, keep your 18's in the garage until you buy a new tire or patch the current one
    Quote Originally Posted by Pip View Post
    That sucks. Can you get it plugged? Sad day if not. I don't think it matters much if your just driving a few miles for a couple days.
    No-go on a repair (at least at the local Firestone); too close to the shoulder/sidewall. The big reason I got to thinking about my best spare/winters setup is because I still have to drive 60 mi round-trip to work every day, and putting along at 50 mph was killin’ me today! (Although the mpg was great!)

Travis | ’04 ZHP sedan 6MT | WeĭssLĭcht AEs | BMW clears | Plasti-Dipped grilles | BMW Perf. intake | TMS Power Pulleys | DIY aux-in | !CDV
    Sprint Booster w/Sport button | Mich PS AS4 (245 sq) | M3 front sway | Z4M LCABs | Beisan VANOS rebuild | GAS DISA rebuild | BMW diag. PC

Gotcha. I'm with JP then. Use the winters. And the best place for the spare is in the trunk. I don't know what I'm going to do when this happens to my car without a spare. Guess the local tire shop better have what I need or I'm down and out for a couple days.

if you can't use the winters, I would suggest the rear to have the donut. Front tires do 100% steering and alot more of the braking than the rear.

Unless you're going to the drag strip, then definitely donut on the front... in fact 2 donut spares on the front!

The one thing I would be concern is the difference in rotational diameter causing the differential to heat up. What size is the donut anyways?

Quote Originally Posted by derbo View Post
    the one thing i would be concern is the difference in rotational diameter causing the differential to heat up. What size is the donut anyways?
    p125/50r17 IIRC
    Alex'16 Melbourne Red 328d Touring
    M Sport + M Performance Package

Gone, but not forgotten: '03 Imola Red 330i ZHP - 6MT

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying
    Quote Originally Posted by derbo View Post
    if you can't use the winters, I would suggest the rear to have the donut. Front tires do 100% steering and alot more of the braking than the rear.
    Here.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast