Page 675 of 675 FirstFirst ... 175575625665673674675
Results 6,741 to 6,747 of 6747

Thread: The Random E46/ZHP Question Thread

Quote Originally Posted by 704sw View Post
    I know the answer is ďyes,Ē but just want someone to verify: the transmission input shaft spins even in neutral as long as the clutch isnít depressed, correct?

I think Iíve narrowed down the ticking sound Iíve been bitching about since installing the Valeo SMF clutch kit as being the throwout bearing, and Iím trying to confirm. The ticking sound has gotten worse in the last few months so I need to address it soon. I assume I just got a bad bearing, or Valeoís QC isnít great for that part, because Vas described a similar sound.
    I would think so, yes...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown | Gruppe M Intake | Corsa TSE3 | Michelin PSS on Apex ARC-8 | Koni Yellows |

Just finished my first autocross that had several long sweeping turns and was getting an awful knock after runs. I let it sit for 20 mins and added half a quart of oil and it settled out, but would come back after every run. I assume it was an issue of oil starvation since it went away after some time, so

1. Does that sound like oil starvation to you kids and

2. Am I gonna have to baffle this bitch up?

Edit: nvm it's normal even with the extra half quart

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...2&share_type=t
    Last edited by ZHPizza; 06-15-2019 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 704sw View Post
    I know the answer is ďyes,Ē but just want someone to verify: the transmission input shaft spins even in neutral as long as the clutch isnít depressed, correct?

I think Iíve narrowed down the ticking sound Iíve been bitching about since installing the Valeo SMF clutch kit as being the throwout bearing, and Iím trying to confirm. The ticking sound has gotten worse in the last few months so I need to address it soon. I assume I just got a bad bearing, or Valeoís QC isnít great for that part, because Vas described a similar sound.
    The throwout bearing only spins when the clutch is engaged
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    Just finished my first autocross that had several long sweeping turns and was getting an awful knock after runs. I let it sit for 20 mins and added half a quart of oil and it settled out, but would come back after every run. I assume it was an issue of oil starvation since it went away after some time, so

Knocking is not normal, but loud ticking is. Yes, it is indeed oil starvation, and happens to a variety of BMW models. Some people say the trick is to pour an extra half to one whole quart in over full to mitigate it, but makes some people uncomfortable doing so.

That is one of the reasons I don't auto-x anymore.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post

Yup, these engines tick like mad after autox

2005 330 ZHP Imola Red - 1995 NA Miata
    2004 325 M56 Steel Blue Metallic - Sold
    Stephen's DD & AutoX/HPDE Build Thread
    Stewart WP - Z4M LCAB - M3 trans/motor mounts - DICE MediageBridge Duo - ARC-8 17x8.5"
    DrVANOS - Mason Engineering Race Strut Bar - E30 Exp. Cap
    Bilstein PSS10 - Turner Sway Bars 27/21 - ECST RTAB Limiters - R.E. RSM

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    Knocking is not normal, but loud ticking is. Yes, it is indeed oil starvation, and happens to a variety of BMW models. Some people say the trick is to pour an extra half to one whole quart in over full to mitigate it, but makes some people uncomfortable doing so.

That is one of the reasons I don't auto-x anymore.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    hey BP, you around this week? still want to check out why my mpg is that of a mid-size suv

Quote Originally Posted by NYRhockey View Post
    hey BP, you around this week? still want to check out why my mpg is that of a mid-size suv
    Yep, I'll be around.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Page 675 of 675 FirstFirst ... 175575625665673674675