Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 683 of 823 FirstFirst ... 183583633673681682683684685693733783 ... LastLast
Results 6,821 to 6,830 of 8230
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathTrap View Post
    Wait, that's how much those things cost? Be very careful taking the old one off. Maybe even get some fresh butyl rope. I think that was my main issue anyway, the barrier didn't fully re-seal after removal.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    no im sorry for the mix up. i think they're between 40-50 bux. im doing a left rear regulator so im definitely doing a new vapor barrier on that door. what im asking is should i do the other 3 when i swap in my new door cards. im leaning towards no unless the consensus is otherwise.

and a big yes to the butyl tape!

Quote Originally Posted by joeybananaz18 View Post
    no im sorry for the mix up. i think they're between 40-50 bux. im doing a left rear regulator so im definitely doing a new vapor barrier on that door. what im asking is should i do the other 3 when i swap in my new door cards. im leaning towards no unless the consensus is otherwise.

and a big yes to the butyl tape!
    If the rear left regulator is being replaced then that will only require new butyl tape & not a full vapor barrier replacement (not always the case) unless there’s a tear in the current barrier

For good measure on the other 3 doors you can certainly add/replace the butyl tape on the vapor barriers but word of caution: don’t do it unless you notice water on the carpet, the vapor barriers are flimsy and tear with any kind of resistance from the opposite direction. Ask me how I know lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, the barrier is one of those things where if it's working, leave it alone.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    -Corey

2003 Blue ZHP Sedan @ 210k
    Dead due to damaged valve. Parts are being transferred to a wagon:

2003 325iT Japanrot 6MT @ 230k

No point in replacing the vapor barrier if it isn't torn. Just wasting time and money at that point.

It's a good idea to have extra butyl on hand, but I find that if you separate the vapor barrier by cutting the butyl with a knife as you peel, you can clean the butyl and "reactivate" it with some 3M adhesive cleaner. It actually makes the stuff incredibly sticky and seals great.

I got my car with 2 leaking vapor barriers, which made the car smell like a swamp. The 3M stuff got those stuck on good: http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...467#post580467

With the number of times I've replaced window regulators and door lock actuators in my E38 and both front regulators in the ZHP, I've never had a leak using that stuff.
    '04 330i ZHP sedan | Mystic blue | Alcantara | 6MT | 111k
    '98 740il | Schwartz 2 | Sandbeige | 5AT | 238k | lowered on Bilsteins w/ B&G springs
    '00 540i sport | Titanium silver | Black | 5AT | 120k
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 215k | one owner, all original

Quote Originally Posted by ZHP_Brandon View Post
    If the rear left regulator is being replaced then that will only require new butyl tape & not a full vapor barrier replacement (not always the case) unless there’s a tear in the current barrier

For good measure on the other 3 doors you can certainly add/replace the butyl tape on the vapor barriers but word of caution: don’t do it unless you notice water on the carpet, the vapor barriers are flimsy and tear with any kind of resistance from the opposite direction. Ask me how I know lol

That reminds me. At the beginning of the year I found a small puddle in the front passenger footwell. I’ll definitely add the butyl tape if I see any torn areas but does the logic process of “well if I found water in the front passenger footwell, that I should look for a problem on that door” work here or can each barrier affect all the footwells (feetwells? Lol)?

That reminds me. At the beginning of the year I found a small puddle in the front passenger footwell. I’ll definitely add the butyl tape if I see any torn areas but does the logic process of “well if I found water in the front passenger footwell, that I should look for a problem on that door” work here or can each barrier affect all the footwells (feetwells? Lol)?

I think it's specific to that footwell. I also have some moisture on my passenger side mat.

The Random E46/ZHP Question Thread

Nope that’s actually not the footwell if the front passenger carpet/all weather mat is wet after the rain. That’s the gutter running from the sunroof to the drain inside of the A-pillar, yours may or may not have gotten detached/clogged up causing water to pool up.

Best course of action on that side is to remove the a pillar (good luck I stripped my passenger side torx heads this summer), door gasket (what appears to be suede in appearance), the sun visor, vanity light, “oh sheet” handle, and all the plastics and try to get a look inside at the rain gutter to see if it’s come off or not. I couldn’t get my a-pillar off so I just bent the headliner out of the way to reattach the rubber grommet onto the metal gutter. All good as new and no more mildewy smell inside

I have a video on my phone of what you should be looking for in terms of the grommet, the grommet is the little black piece in the video and that goes onto what appears to be a metal nipple in there

If I wanted to buy a used 4.0 LCM, but it doesn’t come with Automatic headlights (automatically turn on)

All I would have to do is code it to match my car and pick the proper options and then swap my faceplate correct?

Nope that’s actually not the footwell if the front passenger carpet/all weather mat is wet after the rain. That’s the gutter running from the sunroof to the drain inside of the A-pillar, yours may or may not have gotten detached/clogged up causing water to pool up.
    Thanks for the correction. Will have to do this at some point. Right now it's not too bad.

If I wanted to buy a used 4.0 LCM, but it doesn’t come with Automatic headlights (automatically turn on)

All I would have to do is code it to match my car and pick the proper options and then swap my faceplate correct?
    I believe so, with xenons and auto-leveling features being the ones to match. What's the part number?

Quote Originally Posted by holyc0w View Post
    Thanks for the correction. Will have to do this at some point. Right now it's not too bad.
    No problem! Took me ages to figure out what was causing this interior water leak but finally things are normal, be warned though my hand was cut up real bad and I had to go in from the sunroof. Removed the sunroof gasket from the headliner & bent my way into it.

Quote Originally Posted by holyc0w View Post
    I believe so, with xenons and auto-leveling features being the ones to match. What's the part number?
    Here’s a picture from the eBay listing but besides the sketchy water on the LCM ... it totally says “S.W: 1.3”

Here’s the listing

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F233285141809

Page 683 of 823 FirstFirst ... 183583633673681682683684685693733783 ... LastLast