Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 693 of 823 FirstFirst ... 193593643683691692693694695703743793 ... LastLast
Results 6,921 to 6,930 of 8230
    So, that's a thing? Guess I should start doing it, had not heard about that.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    So curious - is anyone as anal as I am when it comes to this?

When I want to park my touring (automatic transmission), I put it in neutral, pull the parking brake, let off the foot brake, then put it in park. I found it doesn't feel like it's forcing it out of park this way when you go to drive again. I don't think I've ever seen anyone do this before...

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    If I don’t put the X3 in neutral before going into park it’ll lunch forward (or backwards if I was backing in) after I remove my foot from the brake once in park. I’ve never experienced that in any other AT car but have heard similar stories from other X3 and X5 owners with that GM-supplied gearbox.
    Emma - 2005 BMW 330ci ZHP 6MT Estorilblau Individual

Sportline 8s 18x8.5F - 18x9.5R | APEX ARC-8 18x8.5 Square | aFe Intake | 135i Brembo F/R Calipers | 26mm Front/20mm Rear Sway Bars | Z4 Mirror
    M3 Dead Pedal | Lexus ES300 Yellow Fog Light Retrofit | Koni Yellows/H&R Springs | Llumar CTX 40% | Coby Tri-Stitch Wheel & Boots

Awaiting Install: M3 Wing Mirrors

Quote Originally Posted by papa_g View Post
    Not anal. Just protecting your transmission. I do this every time, even on newer cars.
    I've always done that. My father told me years ago to set the brake first - "it takes all the weight off the parking pawl."

So now years later, (many) you've made me look that up.... From Wiki regarding parking pawls:

Recommendations
    Most vehicle manufacturers and auto mechanics do not recommend using the transmission's parking pawl as the sole means of securing a parked vehicle, instead recommending it should only be engaged after first applying the vehicle's parking brake. Constant use of only the parking pawl, especially when parking on a steep incline, means that driveline components, and transmission internals, are kept constantly under stress, and can cause wear and eventual failure of the parking pawl or transmission linkage. The pawl might also fail or break if the vehicle is pushed with sufficient force, if the parking brake is not firmly engaged. Replacement can be an expensive operation since it not only requires removing the transmission from the vehicle, but it's usually the first component to be installed in the gearbox case during a complete rebuild.

Thanks Dad!
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by 704sw View Post
    If I don’t put the X3 in neutral before going into park it’ll lunch forward (or backwards if I was backing in) after I remove my foot from the brake once in park. I’ve never experienced that in any other AT car but have heard similar stories from other X3 and X5 owners with that GM-supplied gearbox.
    This is definitely not a BMW thing. Every old school automatic car I've ever witnessed parking (traditional non-electronic parking brake models, meaning older cars) lurched forward after being placed in park and the foot off the brake, regardless of the make or model. Some may be better about it than others, but I always wondered why it would be designed like that whenever I saw it.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro2u View Post
    I've always done that. My father told me years ago to set the brake first - "it takes all the weight off the parking pawl."

So now years later, (many) you've made me look that up.... From Wiki regarding parking pawls:

Recommendations
    Most vehicle manufacturers and auto mechanics do not recommend using the transmission's parking pawl as the sole means of securing a parked vehicle, instead recommending it should only be engaged after first applying the vehicle's parking brake. Constant use of only the parking pawl, especially when parking on a steep incline, means that driveline components, and transmission internals, are kept constantly under stress, and can cause wear and eventual failure of the parking pawl or transmission linkage. The pawl might also fail or break if the vehicle is pushed with sufficient force, if the parking brake is not firmly engaged. Replacement can be an expensive operation since it not only requires removing the transmission from the vehicle, but it's usually the first component to be installed in the gearbox case during a complete rebuild.

Thanks Dad!
    My original comment was actually geared more around the act of putting the transmission in neutral first, then applying the parking brake, letting the foot off the foot brake and letting the handbrake take the full load, then finally engaging Park, all in that order. I noticed a difference between doing this and just simply pulling the parking brake before putting it into Park. I think it's an important difference to take the weight off the transmission before putting it into Park, not just in one fell swoop. The instructions in your post make it seem like just pulling the handbrake and then putting it into park is enough, but there's still a little bit of stress on the transmission when it finally goes into Park because the stress wasn't completely relieved first before being put in Park.

Are you guys just pulling the parking brake and putting it in Park without letting foot off the brake in between or are you putting in neutral, parking brake and relieving stress, then Park? I'm curious if you notice a difference. On mine, it still feels like there's a tiny bit of stress still on the tranny if I don't put in neutral/pull handbrake/foot off brake first before putting in park.

I never thought I'd think so much about an automatic transmission before... I need a good drive in the ZHP to cleanse me of this automatic mayhem. LOL
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

The Random E46/ZHP Question Thread

Thoughts on paint correction price?

Took it to a local detailer who is very well known in town for doing a fantastic job and when he looked at the car he said my paint was in pretty rough shape with tons of imperfections and pointed out some stuff i didn't even realize/notice. He said to bring the imola fully back and "pop", that it'd need a decontamination & paint correction. The price? $900. I know it'll come out looking great but if "really good" somewhere else is a lot cheaper it would be worth it to go to that somewhere else.

Is this price a "pricey, but not extraordinarily given the quality you're getting", or is it "dude, you can press charges for rape on that deal. Run for safety".

Edit: he couldn’t fit me in til 2nd week in December and had to put 50% deposit and will have car for 4 days. Deposit is refundable assuming I give enough lead time.
    Last edited by NYRhockey; 10-07-2019 at 01:11 PM.

Seems pricey to me. I got this quote 2 years ago for $300 : "wash, paint decontamination, wheels cleaned, tires dressed, sealant applied. Includes stage one machine polishing to enhance gloss and remove light scratches."

My black Saab had some holograms, the above took care of it.
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

BP, this my sequence :

1- stop at designated spot, my foot is on brake pedal
    2- put car in neutral
    3- engage parking brake
    4- release foot from brake pedal, verify car doesn't move
    5- put car into Park
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

Has anyone ordered sunshade clips only to find the screws won't fit? The screws provided are too coarse a thread for my shade, which uses fine threaded screws...

The part number says it fits my car. I don't get it...

PN: 54137134516

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    Are you guys just pulling the parking brake and putting it in Park without letting foot off the brake in between or are you putting in neutral, parking brake and relieving stress, then Park? I'm curious if you notice a difference. On mine, it still feels like there's a tiny bit of stress still on the tranny if I don't put in neutral/pull handbrake/foot off brake first before putting in park.
    Yeah I do it exactly how you described: neutral, let go of brake, apply parking brake, put gear into park. I do notice that when I do this, there is less NV when putting in D or R, versus the conventional parking method.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~ 2005 330ci ZHP Silbergrau | Black cube | Leather ~
    Current Mods: Akebono brake pads, Bilstein B4 Rear Shocks, Beisan Systems VANOS Rebuild, G.A.S. DISA O-ring, Morimoto fog lights, StopTech SS brake lines, Subwoofer tennis ball mod, Switchback Angel Eyes (turn signal), Zimmermann drilled rotors.
    My project thread ---> http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...into-a-reality

What is this automatic you guys speak of?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Page 693 of 823 FirstFirst ... 193593643683691692693694695703743793 ... LastLast