Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 674 of 823 FirstFirst ... 174574624664672673674675676684724774 ... LastLast
Results 6,731 to 6,740 of 8230
    Quote Originally Posted by YoitsTmac View Post
    +1. I think for DIY you could probably do an S54 swap pretty cheap if you can buy an entire car from copart. The swap itself for S54 is pretty easy in my opinion.

edit: I think the cars go for under $5k and there's plenty of extra stuff to sell.
    Yeah AZ's right on this one, parts are not the issue. The labor to extract, R&R and then make modifications to have the engine work properly including a computer flash are what bring the price up. On top of that you have to do significant reinforcement and upgrades to the subframe, clutch and brakes to handle the additional power.

Also non of this would be CARB legal so that would just be another headache

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DeathTrap View Post
    I was thinking something completely unrealistic, foolish, and just a total bad idea...N73. They literally go for around $1k. It'd be a pretty ornament tho....

I hadn't considered the S55. That would be an insane swap. Hmmmm
    The hard part about that is literally having it fit in the engine bay and finding a transmission that fits. If V12’s follow the same BMW principle as BMW’s I6’s (that the transmission mating patterns are the same), there is someone who offers an adapter plate for a transaxle for the old 8 series V12. I agree though that would be an insane insane project.

For S55, you may like this (however this is likely standalone): https://www.instagram.com/p/ByQtRmeA0Mv/

Quote Originally Posted by ComradeNick View Post
    Yeah AZ's right on this one, parts are not the issue. The labor to extract, R&R and then make modifications to have the engine work properly including a computer flash are what bring the price up. On top of that you have to do significant reinforcement and upgrades to the subframe, clutch and brakes to handle the additional power.

Also non of this would be CARB legal so that would just be another headache
    There’s a carb legal E46 S65 and a carb legal E36 N55. I think he goes by caleem, but someone did a carb legal S54 323i with no chassis modification. (If carb means can be smogged and passed for registration in California.)

Yeah, labor would kill the cost, I’m talking about a DIY project. But I don’t see why the chassis needs reinforcement beyond, typical subframe. People supercharge E46 M3’s without additional reinforcement.

I haven’t looked into engines beyond E9x, but every engine after about 2006 and prior to roughly 2011 just wants CAS, the DME, and specifically in N55’s case - the climate control buttons on CAN or else the electric fan runs at 100% all the time. My friend said for one of his old E39’s he made a stand-alone fan that kicked up from another sensor pretty cheaply so hardly even that is necessary.

If the automatic works, the manual definitely would too. No ABS or DSC but the emission equipment would be getting readings from all the sensors it wants to see

All I6’s from BMW mate to any other I6 transmissions AFAIK. So you could even use a ZHP trans, Z4M trans, or the M3 trans. Then your engine placement would be based on where it ends up with the trans hooked up, but probably would be fairly natural as it’s another I6 with similar dimensions.

I feel the electronics are what scare people from even imagining these projects, but all they really want is the CAS and DME, and the emission equipment would work as if it’s the original car. You’d need to make a custom mount to weld in some plates for engine mounts, maybe massage the frame rails (as was necessary for the N55 in E36), but that’s really it.

To be clear, I’m a 21 year old business student that hasn’t done an engine swap, so put me in my place if I’m wrong. But I’ve witnessed some insane engine swaps online and in person. And even though I’m in finals week, I spent about 35 hours last week reading about these systems as I was looking into retrofitting “active seats” and doing further research on my comfort access E9x keyless start retrofit into my E46.

The hard part about that is literally having it fit in the engine bay and finding a transmission that fits. If V12’s follow the same BMW principle as BMW’s I6’s (that the transmission mating patterns are the same), there is someone who offers an adapter plate for a transaxle for the old 8 series V12. I agree though that would be an insane insane project.

For S55, you may like this (however this is likely standalone): https://www.instagram.com/p/ByQtRmeA0Mv/

I feel the electronics are what scare people from even imagining these projects, but all they really want is the CAS and DME, and the emission equipment would work as if it’s the original car. You’d need to make a custom mount to weld in some plates for engine mounts, maybe massage the frame rails (as was necessary for the N55 in E36), but that’s really it.

To be clear, I’m a 21 year old business student that hasn’t done an engine swap, so put me in my place if I’m wrong. But I’ve witnessed some insane engine swaps online and in person. And even though I’m in finals week, I spent about 35 hours last week reading about these systems as I was looking into retrofitting “active seats” and doing further research on my comfort access E9x keyless start retrofit into my E46.
    Yer a youngin lol. I can't talk, I'll be 30 this year. I've just been doing imaginary builds for about 9 years more.

So the good thing about the N73 is you don't technically *need* an intake manifold and throttle body. I could grab some stainless/CF tubes and fab up a quick set of ITBs which would cut the height down a LOT. It's not very wide, I'd say it's narrower than any BMW V8. For reference an LQ4=LS1 is about 630mm wide. According to this guy from Reddit, the widest point of the N74 is 625 mm. I'd assume the N73 isn't too far off. The rest of the engine is around 525mm wide. Not bad right?

Length...a bit longer than a straight 6. From belts to backplate 810mm

Height, about 670 mm. LS1 is about 700. Dimensionally, it should work...AND the oil pan sump is in the right spot compared to the older M7x V12.

Trans is a toss up. I think it doesn't follow any specific pattern based on comparing images across the internets. Maybe the V8 trans can be slightly modified? The N73 is based heavily on the N62.

Electronics aren't an issue, to me at least. The CAS doesn't really care about too much, if you feed it just enough signals to be happy I think it'll work. Ironically, I spent almost all Saturday researching the keylessGO/comfort access system. Feel free to PM me if you want to throw ideas around.
    -Corey

2003 Blue ZHP Sedan @ 210k
    Dead due to damaged valve. Parts are being transferred to a wagon:

2003 325iT Japanrot 6MT @ 230k

Yer a youngin lol. I can't talk, I'll be 30 this year. I've just been doing imaginary builds for about 9 years more.

So the good thing about the N73 is you don't technically *need* an intake manifold and throttle body. I could grab some stainless/CF tubes and fab up a quick set of ITBs which would cut the height down a LOT. It's not very wide, I'd say it's narrower than any BMW V8. For reference an LQ4=LS1 is about 630mm wide. According to this guy from Reddit, the widest point of the N74 is 625 mm. I'd assume the N73 isn't too far off. The rest of the engine is around 525mm wide. Not bad right?

Length...a bit longer than a straight 6. From belts to backplate 810mm

Height, about 670 mm. LS1 is about 700. Dimensionally, it should work...AND the oil pan sump is in the right spot compared to the older M7x V12.

Trans is a toss up. I think it doesn't follow any specific pattern based on comparing images across the internets. Maybe the V8 trans can be slightly modified? The N73 is based heavily on the N62.

Electronics aren't an issue, to me at least. The CAS doesn't really care about too much, if you feed it just enough signals to be happy I think it'll work. Ironically, I spent almost all Saturday researching the keylessGO/comfort access system. Feel free to PM me if you want to throw ideas around.
    Love this, great read. The S85 (although granted is very closely related to) and the S65 shared the same transmission mounting design, from what I've read. Perhaps BMW has swayed away from V12 specific mounts to cut costs. Now you got me damn curious. Where did you find engine dimensions? I legitimately want to try to N55 swap my E46 once I get a career - I'll roomie over renting my own place to do it if I have to. Dimensions of BMW motors is something I struggle finding.

I'm so so happy to hear I'm not the only one looking into this. For what it's worth, it's been done. Definitely going to throw you a PM.

Love this, great read. The S85 (although granted is very closely related to) and the S65 shared the same transmission mounting design, from what I've read. Perhaps BMW has swayed away from V12 specific mounts to cut costs. Now you got me damn curious. Where did you find engine dimensions? I legitimately want to try to N55 swap my E46 once I get a career - I'll roomie over renting my own place to do it if I have to. Dimensions of BMW motors is something I struggle finding.

I'm so so happy to hear I'm not the only one looking into this. For what it's worth, it's been done. Definitely going to throw you a PM.
    N74 dimensions I found here:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/BmwTech/com...ne_dimensions/

And I believe the e60/e90 CAS will interface with the V12s DME which is even more motivation to try this out!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    -Corey

N74 dimensions I found here:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/BmwTech/com...ne_dimensions/

And I believe the e60/e90 CAS will interface with the V12s DME which is even more motivation to try this out!

Can CAS modules be paired to different DME’s? I thought they both had to be from the same car to allow for crank much like EWS?

Can CAS modules be paired to different DME’s? I thought they both had to be from the same car to allow for crank much like EWS?
    I believe if the DME is virgin, then yes. Otherwise no.

-Corey

I believe if the DME is virgin, then yes. Otherwise no.
    Can you virginize a DME?

'I' can't, at least not at the moment. But it is possible and has been done using a BDM tool.

-Corey

I know the answer is “yes,” but just want someone to verify: the transmission input shaft spins even in neutral as long as the clutch isn’t depressed, correct?

I think I’ve narrowed down the ticking sound I’ve been bitching about since installing the Valeo SMF clutch kit as being the throwout bearing, and I’m trying to confirm. The ticking sound has gotten worse in the last few months so I need to address it soon. I assume I just got a bad bearing, or Valeo’s QC isn’t great for that part, because Vas described a similar sound.
    Emma - 2005 BMW 330ci ZHP 6MT Estorilblau Individual

Sportline 8s 18x8.5F - 18x9.5R | APEX ARC-8 18x8.5 Square | aFe Intake | 135i Brembo F/R Calipers | 26mm Front/20mm Rear Sway Bars | Z4 Mirror
    M3 Dead Pedal | Lexus ES300 Yellow Fog Light Retrofit | Koni Yellows/H&R Springs | Llumar CTX 40% | Coby Tri-Stitch Wheel & Boots

Awaiting Install: M3 Wing Mirrors

Page 674 of 823 FirstFirst ... 174574624664672673674675676684724774 ... LastLast