Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 440 of 823 FirstFirst ... 340390430438439440441442450490540 ... LastLast
Results 4,391 to 4,400 of 8230
    Quote Originally Posted by holyc0w View Post
    Speedway makes synthetic oil?
    Oh god I'll hate myself if this isn't synthetic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2004 BMW 330i TiAg ZHP/// 6MT(purchased from forum 6/06/16);
    KONI Yellows | Akebono Brake Pads | ECIS cold air intake system;
    Hotchkis Sport sway bar | ECS Tuning Carbon Fiber front strut brace
    Vibrant Performance Muffler | Coby Wheel Tri-Stitch steering wheel & shift boot
    Michelin PSS | Blizzak WS-80

Not an e46 question, but here we go. The alternator on my Saab is bad. I need to use jumper cables to start it. I'm thinking about driving to Houston (3 hour trip) and trade-in the car over there. I won't turn off the car until I arrive to the dealer.

Does this sound ok ? I don't want to create or experience additional issues with my plan.
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

I don't think the battery will last so long without the alternator recharging it.

2006 Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown | Gruppe M Intake | Corsa TSE3 | Michelin PSS on Apex ARC-8 | Koni Yellows |

Quote Originally Posted by Prestovie View Post
    Oh god I'll hate myself if this isn't synthetic

If it's not, it shouldn't create the issues you mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by holyc0w View Post
    If it's not, it shouldn't create the issues you mentioned.
    That's what I figured... best bet right now is head gasket, turns out it's 12hrs in labor which is like $1800 at the dealership, brother says we can do it in 18hrs
    I've got an oil change on Tuesday so I'll have them pressure test the cooling system to see if it's actually the coolant leaking in
    Not excited about this to say the least, just did a $3600 clutch job and bought all new rubber, thought I'd be done at least for the year

Quote Originally Posted by fredo View Post
    Not an e46 question, but here we go. The alternator on my Saab is bad. I need to use jumper cables to start it. I'm thinking about driving to Houston (3 hour trip) and trade-in the car over there. I won't turn off the car until I arrive to the dealer.

Does this sound ok ? I don't want to create or experience additional issues with my plan.
    You will not make it if your alternator is bad.
    Look at the symptoms...

If the car won't start on its own, jump start it. Take the jumper leads off right after jumping. Does the car continue running just fine, with no loss of power or electrical function? If so, your battery is probably bad. In this scenario, the car will continue working just fine as long as it's running. Once you stop it, it won't start up again.

If the car does not continue working, or if electrical function is greatly reduced, your alternator probably isn't charging the battery, and as a result is running off the battery. In this scenario, you need to replace the alternator before you consider making any longer trips, otherwise you'll have to constantly stop, hook up jumper cables, let it charge up for a while, and then rinse + repeat.

That's what I figured... best bet right now is head gasket, turns out it's 12hrs in labor which is like $1800 at the dealership, brother says we can do it in 18hrs
    I've got an oil change on Tuesday so I'll have them pressure test the cooling system to see if it's actually the coolant leaking in
    Not excited about this to say the least, just did a $3600 clutch job and bought all new rubber, thought I'd be done at least for the year

Oil doesn't cause misfiring issues. You should look into electrical or fuel-related problems. Coils, spark plugs, fuel pump, fuel filter, MAF... just a few off the top of my head.

Out of curiosity, why do you think you need a head gasket? That mayo garbage you saw under the oil filler cap is normal if you drive your car on short trips, thanks to the stupid way the CCV system is designed. Go for a much longer drive, say 30-60 minutes, and you'll see that mayo disappears.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    Oil doesn't cause misfiring issues. You should look into electrical or fuel-related problems. Coils, spark plugs, fuel pump, fuel filter, MAF... just a few off the top of my head.

Out of curiosity, why do you think you need a head gasket? That mayo garbage you saw under the oil filler cap is normal if you drive your car on short trips, thanks to the stupid way the CCV system is designed. Go for a much longer drive, say 30-60 minutes, and you'll see that mayo disappears.
    I would only think head gasket because of the burning coolant that's coming out of the exhaust, the smell is dreadful.

I would only think head gasket because of the burning coolant that's coming out of the exhaust, the smell is dreadful.

Guess that's what happens when I do drive-bys from being too lazy to read every line. lol
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    Guess that's what happens when I do drive-bys from being too lazy to read every line. lol
    Lol no worries

Thanks, BP and San. I don't want to risk it, so I'm aborting the plan.
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

Page 440 of 823 FirstFirst ... 340390430438439440441442450490540 ... LastLast